PDA

View Full Version : 2d text within Lightwave

Costanel
05-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Hello,

Since several days I've been trying to find a method to display 2d text correctly within Lightwave.I don't want to do this in an external program, because this sometimes screws up the composition. And is often quite restricted.

I want to make 2d text, which always faces the camera. There is a plugin called "Face to Camera", but I must buy another $80,- plugin just to use this.
I've tried using the "target" option, but it's hard to get the text 2d.

Is there an easier way to get this effect?
(preferably with an option to animate 3d->2d)

Thanks!

Silkrooster
05-28-2007, 02:56 PM
I don't understand why you have a hard time getting 2d text. Using the text tool produces 2d text until you extrude it.
One issue I did find is when you target the text it may be necessary to rotate the text in modeler so that it faces the camera. That can be accomplished by hitting the r key twice.
Silk

Bytehawk
05-28-2007, 04:24 PM
If I understand you correctly you want the separate letters all individually targeted to the camera ?

Or do you want the whole text as a group targeted to the camera ?

Maybe you could tell us a little more on what you want to accomplish, why do you need the letters to target the camera ? Or do you want the letters to always appear on the same place wherever you move the camera, like a TV channel logo in the corner of the image ?

Costanel
05-29-2007, 12:56 AM
I want to have the text perpendicular to the camera.
So you don't notice the text is in 3d-space, and doesn't look like 3d-text.

It's hard to animate the camera, and keep the text looking 2d, and I would like to know a ways to automate this. Simply put: keeping the text at the same place, even when the camera is rotated. (logo/credits text).

Maxx
05-29-2007, 06:51 AM
I would think a compo program would be better for this than LW. It's possible (maybe just target a flat polygon facing the camera with the names/credits applied as a texture with clip map? You can then animate the Y position of the texture to scroll the credits.), but it seems an unnecessary hassle.

Bytehawk
05-29-2007, 06:54 AM
this may sound stupid, but why don't you just parent the text to the camera ?

BeeVee
05-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Or target it?

B

Silkrooster
05-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Ok, an obvious question that we have overlooked.... What tool are you using to produce the text? The logo tool will produce 3d text, however the text tool does not. Text layers will also produce 3d text, but has the option of setting the extrude and bevel to 0%. I just tested setting them to 0% and it crashed modeler.
Silk

prospector
05-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Because it seems by last post you are anumating camera, then parenting is best way to go.
Wherever you position it in screen is where it will stay.

Costanel
05-31-2007, 02:38 AM
What I often see in games and simple animations, and that a same sort technique is used for leaves and grass. By making the grass animate with the camera, the grass turns with the camera.

It surprises me that I've only been able to find one plug-in, when I expect this technique to be used more often in Lightwave. Does anyone know where I can find a plugin like this, or perhaps create one?

Targeting often gives problems because the target is based on the pivot, what makes it hard to get it perpendicular.

Dexter2999
05-31-2007, 10:12 AM
I still don't understand the object here, or why making text in a compositing program would change the composition of the shot.

As for wondering why 2d text isn't more prevelant in a 3d application...well to my way of thinking that is akin to asking why a wrench isn't a better hammer.

Costanel
06-01-2007, 01:06 AM
Composition perhaps isn't the right word for it. I mean that it's easier to place objects and camera's, if you know where the text is put. Without re-rendering.

It's just that I want complete freedom with animating 2d text, and the programs I own are often quite limited with textures, animations and sort. It's not like I want to create subtitles or something, just some basic text effects.
And since you can create 2d-text in Lightwave, why wouldn't you be able to animate this properly in layout?

It's the almost the same as creating a billboard, a polygon that follows the camera, so I thought it should be easy. It isn't, apparently.

Costanel
06-01-2007, 04:01 AM
Well, after playing around a bit, I've found a solutions thanks to your tips.

I always tried to animate it with targeting on, and this gave problems when moving the text, because it skews or tilts. I stubbornly thought this was necessary, but it isn't.
It also gave problems when the camera isn't positioned correctly when the text is imported, or when the text is not in the right axis.

The solution was simple, but Bytehawk was right, but one thing needed to be changed(for perfect alignment).
The text should be made in the front view, perfectly aligned with this axis.
With parenting in place off, parenting it and then positioning the text, the text becomes perfectly aligned. Now the text can be moved and editing without weird tilting. In this way many effects(like morphs, textures, rotations, etc.) can be animated just in Lightwave. By using a Luminosity of 100 the text looks perfectly flat, and I can even let it drop a shadow on objects.

This gives me quite a few of options of animating text, thanks! :thumbsup: .

A lot of trouble for a simple problem, with a simple solution. Thanks for the help!

Bytehawk
06-01-2007, 05:01 AM
glad to be of help :)