PDA

View Full Version : Layout viewport trouble..still

IMI
05-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid this. it's happening in LW 9.2, happened in LW 9.0, 8.0 trough 8.5, 7.0... in other words, as long as I can remember.

The thing is, I have my default viewport setup in layout just like I like it - 3 on the left, and one on the right. The right one is Camera, the left ones, from top to bottom, Perspective View, Schematic View, and Light View.

When I open Layout, it *always* loads that way, as when I set it up in the options panel, I chose "Save as Default".

But whenever I load a scene that isn't mine, such as the Content scenes from LW present and past, and tutorials, and so on, obviously I get the viewport setup that whoever made the scene had used. That's normal, and fine by me.

But what isn't (or shouldn't be) normal is that the next time I open Layout, at least one of my viewports is set to something else, sometimes all 4 of them are different than what I have *supposedly* set as default.

Although it seems like a small thing, it really is annoying, and has been for a few years now.

Just ranting, I guess. I suppose it's gonna stay that way...unless, is there a way somehow to lock it in, to force it to open to default, even on someone else's scene, or at least to make sure it resets the next time I open a blank scene?

Does this bug anyone else, or is it just me? :D

toby
05-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Oh YEA, what bugs me is when I open someone else's scene and their overlay color is like orange or pink or something - then the next time I open layout this obnoxious color jumps out and bites me on the arse. These are some of the things that aren't included in the 'save as default' sphere of influence, they are instead set by the last scene you opened and saved to the config when you quit.

So one option is to write-protect your config files, but then your content directory won't save when you quit, you'll have to set it everytime you open it.

IMI
05-30-2007, 03:44 PM
I wonder if some kind of small utility could be written to run any .lws scene file through, or a batch of them prior to opening to make sure the viewports load how you want them.
Since a .lws scene file is just a text file, you can see in it how they're set up, so I'm thinking that since they can be manually edited, why not with a small program?
If I knew anything about it, I'd try it.

toby
05-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Oh I forgot - you might also be able to solve this using the default scene feature. Make a scene the way you want a clear scene to be, and set LW to 'clear scene to default'. I haven't done it, so let me know how it works out :)

Roly
05-30-2007, 06:44 PM
Yes, save a scene the way you want as default.lws and every time you load
Layout it'll load that scene with the settings of default scene. No problems
for me. I dont know anyone else experience with this.

IMI
05-31-2007, 04:30 AM
Yes, save a scene the way you want as default.lws and every time you load
Layout it'll load that scene with the settings of default scene. No problems
for me. I dont know anyone else experience with this.

Well, obviously it happens to toby up there, too. I suspect that this happens for everyone, since as I mentioned above, the viewport settings are part of a saved scene - you can open up any .lws file in a text editor and see that, so there's no way of getting around it.

Saving a scene as default.lws is the same thing as choosing Save as Default in th options panel, only you donb't have to manually load, just clear the scene.
Of course, loading a scene while in another, removes the scene, same as clearing it does. Neither of those is a good option when all I want to do is work on someone else's scene with my settings, without having to manually change it.

Of course, like I said, it's annoying, not crippling, and it only takes a few seconds to change it to the way I want it.

I would think it'd be cool to have a viewport settings override
option in the options panel. Changing any of that doesn't in any way affect the scene itself, and I wouldn't think it'd be hard for Newtek to implement.

But then again, I don't know anything about programming. If I did, I'd write an app or a script myself that could do this.

________

IMI
05-31-2007, 04:34 AM
Oh but, my bad....

Doing the "default.lws" thing does, in fact end the problem where the next time Layout is opened the views are all changed. That doesn't happen now, so thanks. :)
I guess that was my main complaint to begin with.
Sorry, it's early and I'm not up yet. ;)