PDA

View Full Version : How to create dust blowing in the wind?

bluemars
05-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Hey guys, i'm having trouble creating dust blowing in the wind effect, i'm doing a desert scene at the moment and i want to have small grainy like dusts blowing around on the surface of the sand (texture mapped), i tried to look for tutorials on google, but no luck, does anyone know how i can go about it? or know any site with the tutorials? thanks

prospector
05-27-2007, 07:05 AM
go with pixie dust and a wind path.
Proton has a tut up on the board that ya can find qith a search here.

SplineGod
05-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Something along these lines?
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/sand.mov

bluemars
05-29-2007, 01:43 AM
yeah spline god, that's what i'm trying to achieve, i don't think that pixie dust thing is working for me, i'm currently trying out hyper voxel and it's kinda alright, how do u create small solid grain from hyper voxel? cause right now, my particle is like a puff of smoke! lol!

also, i want to ahve objects falling from the sky , how do i make the dust/sand to jump up from the ground when the object lands on it? thanks!

Sande
05-29-2007, 01:59 AM
In many cases you could probably fake it with simple planes and procedural textures with transparency. That could give you more control over the final outcome than particle system or hypervoxels...

SplineGod
05-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Id probably go with layered geometry and procedurals for the sand moving across the ground. For the sand blowing off the dunes its pretty easy to use particles and HV sprites. You can also generate HV sprites directly on the ground geometry as well without using particles.

bluemars
05-31-2007, 08:02 PM
cool, thanks spline god!