PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Lightwave Review

adamredwoods
05-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Regarding a complete beginner:

http://www.guygraphics.com/GGREVIEWS-192004.html

Is there a manual for beginners that's included with LW9? I don't know since I bought 8 w/o the manual.

cc3d
05-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Why is it that people still think the only talent involved in this type of work is the ability to buy software? "I've bought the software, now where is the 'Titanic hitting iceberg and sinking' plugin so I can start my epic movie?"

sheez!

Sarford
05-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I don't think it's a very bad review, for someone who knows nothing of 3D this is a good start I think, but I also think its the review is a bit shalow, you can't actualy call it a review realy.

@adamredwoods: There are manuals for LW9 but I wouldn't call them beginner manuals. They are reference manuals, that means they describe every menu, plug-in, shader etc. but they don't have tutorials.
If you wanna have a 'beginner manual' take a look at Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave 9. That is a very good beginner book. By the time you've finished the book, you won't be a beginner no more :)

hrgiger
05-25-2007, 09:30 PM
That review is awful. It's not a review for beginners, because beginners should at least skim the manual before they open up the program and try to figure things out on their own in a couple of hours. If you're just poking around, that's fine, but when you start blaming the software because you couldn't figure it out on your own, well, that's just asinine.
It should be called, review of Lightwave 9 for those of you who don't like to read anything (except for this tutorial).

IMI
05-26-2007, 09:43 PM
LightWave does not put its menus or buttons in easy to find places.

Sheesh! Good thing he didn't buy maya. :D
Yeah, that "review" pretty much sucks, IMO. Consider this: I’ve never used LightWave before today, and am writing this review from that stand point.

How the hell does someone write a product review with less than one day experience with a program?
Hell, if I had done that, mine would have sounded something like, "Yay! Woohoo! I LOVE this program, it's awesome!" :D

I haven't searched for 'beginner" LW tutorials in a long time. I wonder if it's true that there's so little out there for the absolute total noobie.
reminds me, I should probably finish and upload some of the beginner tutorials I've been making, if that's the case.

ormeo
05-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi, I'm not quite used to LW9 with LWCAD, how can I import a .dwg and .3dmax to LW?
I'm still a beginner and I want to built a my home with the measure and curve of level that was quoted of the terrain by a (I d'ont know how to say this terms in english, so sorry!) topographer (amI right?):
I'll be very happy for your help, thanks a lot!:help:

Wonderpup
05-28-2007, 11:39 AM
I like the bit where he talks about lightwave having an 'elite' image- this guy shoud be on the marketing team!

Still it's interesting to see through the eyes of someone who is obviously not really into the the 3D subculture. I really like the notion that doing 3D is about 'dropping things' into a scene and letting them get on with it- I knew I was missing something all this time.:D

Amurrell
05-28-2007, 10:23 PM
From the modeler standpoint I thought LW had a very shallow learning curve, it was easy to get going on something, and I came from working with AutoCAD where we would do 3D vis natively. LW was like a godsend compared to those days. But I guess you can read all sorts of different viewpoints in subjective reviews.... like mine.

Elowan
05-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Well - as to some comments vis-a-vis beginners - I wrote a tutorial for beginners whilst a beginner. It's posted on the LWG3D.net site and is quite popular - with beginners.

I thought (and still do after using LW for several years) that the LW manual sucks.

Celshader
05-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Long as we're talking about beginners...here's a beginner's introduction to Maya:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O_h6N2Qms4

Snosrap
05-29-2007, 10:21 PM
that was a riot Celshader!!

Snosrap

Silkrooster
05-30-2007, 01:08 AM
I agree that was funny.
Silk

D33P BLACK
05-30-2007, 01:45 AM
must be one of those autodesk fanboys who can't figure out how read words unless they are written in little pictures.i wish he had a response column. i learned lw on my own after getting frustrated with 3ds.(that youtube link reminds me of my failure to create anything other than an ugly pink ball:thumbsdow )no wonder lw doesn't get the respect it deserves. too many dumbasses talking about it and not enough usefull review.

hrgiger
05-30-2007, 06:02 AM
Nice video find Jen.

Philbert
06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
That same guy did a couple of Lightwave "tutorials" but they're not on Youtube anymore. Any idea where to find them?