PDA

View Full Version : Nodes do not save frames after rendering

CROUTON213
05-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Hi, I had been successfully rendering with ScreamerNET using LW9 but now that I've set it up for 9.2, the nodes will not save the frames. I went through this with the setup in 9.0 but alas, here I am again requesting help.

All of my paths have been edited to point to 9.2 LWSN. The content seems to load into the nodes and render just fine but they will not save the frames once done rendering. Please help. Thanks...

Extent
05-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Others have mentioned problems saving files outside of the content directory in LWSN, where are you saving?

CROUTON213
05-25-2007, 07:12 PM
I am trying to save the rendered files to a network computer that is dedicated render storage. This pipeline has worked out well for many years and with LW9.0 it was working for the past several months.

In the LWSN node for 9.2, it appears to finish the frame but does not report even trying to save the frame.

Extent
05-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Is that render storage inside your content directory for the scene?

CROUTON213
05-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi, yes the render storage was outside the content directory. Once I changed the render output to a directory within the content, my LWSN9.2 was firing on all nodes! Thankyou for the tip.

Since 1997 I have had render storage in a totally different location than the content. This is the first time in my experience, that the render output has to be within the content directory. No big deal but definately a change.

Extent
05-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Other people have been reporting that problem now with 9.2, I imagine it'll get fixed again in the next release.

AFAIK WSN isn't effected by it either (since it dosen't actually use LWSN at all) so if you're rendering with Worley's plugin you don't have to worry about it.

The Wizzard
05-27-2007, 01:17 PM
I too have the same problem...

Posted here before i read this thread:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69135

Looks like something has been changed in 9.2... bummer! Any Ideas on how to work-around before fix is released...

I got work now that needs 9.2 screamer to render :foreheads

CROUTON213
05-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Hi, the solution is to render frames into a folder that is located within your Content Directory.

In the Preferences panel, under the Paths tab, at the bottom is the Output Directory. This Output Directory simply has to be within your Content Directory, and then the frames get saved properly using LWSN 9.2.

The Wizzard
05-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi, the solution is to render frames into a folder that is located within your Content Directory.

In the Preferences panel, under the Paths tab, at the bottom is the Output Directory. This Output Directory simply has to be within your Content Directory, and then the frames get saved properly using LWSN 9.2.

Yes, Well that's all well and good... But my Output directory is on another drive - which has more space than my content directory.!

This set-up used to work with 9.0 :(
Did I mention that my Lightwave folders and drives are on a NAS!

Chepe
05-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Got the same problem so I removed my LW installation, created a new mapped drive ( y: on my c: drive) and installed LW there, on my content on y: I created a render dir: y:\LW_Stuff\content\renders

This way lwsn started to write the files.

The weird thing is ....

By pure coincidence I loaded into my controller a scene with an old save path: "O:\Content\Images\renders" and lwsn did write the files on this drive, later, I changed the output save path to O:\renders and lwsn failed to write.

So it seems that if you have a "Content\Images\renders" on any drive and on your LW.cfg file you have something like OutputDirectory Y:\Content\renders (with the word "content" in the path) you will not have problems.

Cheers

Chepe :lwicon:

The Wizzard
05-30-2007, 09:12 PM
You don't say weather each one of your nodes are saving to the same directory. by the sounds of it you have only tested it on one machine.

__________________________________________________ _________
So here is my Setup:
Each Machine is connected to my NAS device via the LAN.

Also each machine has the following setup:

Default Local LW install: C:\program files\.... lightwave 9.2\ Inc all plugins
Default local config files: C:\Documents and Settings\wizzard\*.cfg's

NAS Drive - Z:\ - The Content Drive (Scenes, Models, Surfaces, etc)
NAS Drive - X:\ - Outup folders are on this one
Stndard network map drive P:\ - LWSN Ack & Job files

My Machine set-ups

Machine 1 - Control machine (Laptop)
Has c:\screamer mapped\ to P: - LWSN Ack & Job files here
NAS Drive - Z:\
NAS Drive - X:\

Machines 2,3,4,5,6 Render Node machines (Desktops)
Default LW install :c:\program files\.... lightwave 9.2\
Stndard network map drive P:\

So that each LWSN program is using the same (*.cfg files), a folder on Z:\config has a copy of the *.cfg files on it. And here is one of my BAT Files from Node 1 showing the LWSN commands:

echo init >p:\job1
LWSN.exe -2 -dp:\ -cz:\config\lw3.cfg p:\job1 p:\ack1

Like mentioned before, everything worked - using this setup with 9.0. But 9.2 seems unable to address my NetGear NAS (Network Drive) correctly causing no RGB files to be written However, Each node is able to load scene, objects, surfaces, etc.

Extent
05-30-2007, 10:41 PM
Here's what I'm running now:

Machine1: my primary workstation
Default LW install (Program Files) with plugins

Local disk O: is project drive
O:\Projects\Projectname - root content directory, under SVN version control
O:\Projects\Projectname\Renders\ - Project rendered assets (All renders go here, LW, Combustion, etc) set to SVN:Ignore
O:\LW\ - Copy of LW install from the C: drive. Set up with redirected config files and all plugins reloaded to reference their spots on the O: drive
O:\LW\Config\ - Holds the network LW config files
O:\LW\Command\ - Screamernet Command folder

Other machines: Other general use machines and fileservers

Network volume O: mapped to \\Machine1\O
Screamer is launched from O:\LW\Programs\LWSN.exe
Command, config, and content as on Machine1

Render Nodes: Dedicated render nodes

Same config as Other Machines but are headless and diskless, booting off PXE.

My laptop falls under the Other Computers setup. When I'm using it to network render I map the O: drive to the shared drive on my main workstation. When I actually use it to work in LW I map O: to \\localhost\c$ where I have my local copy of the project directory (also under SVN)

Chepe
05-31-2007, 11:24 AM
I was testing with 2 machines.

Just made a test with 4 machines, and they failed to write to drive O:\, saving inside the content dir y:\LW_Stuff\content\renders no problem at all.

Cheers

Chepe :lwicon:

The Wizzard
05-31-2007, 01:33 PM
That's all well and good, I'm glad your's works...

But Did I mention that my drives are on a NAS???? There is no option to re-map drives.... there're allready mapped coz there're on a NAS!!!!!

My set-up used to work on 9.0 but, something has changed in 9.2 that stops seeing the drives properly :(

Extent
05-31-2007, 07:59 PM
*sigh* you have 4 options

1) move your content directory onto the NAS for the render nodes
2) render into your existing content directory and ignore the NAS
3) wait until the next patch comes down and hopefully it will be fixed
4) render in 9.0

I'm afraid it's as simple as that. :/

voriax
05-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Well, screamernet saving seems to be working for me in the latest version.. Saving into local directories on the nodes, but not in the LW content dirs..

hdace
06-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Has anyone reported this as a bug? I've only just tripped over this and solved it myself. But it is annoying that you have to save from within the content directory, even in build 1181. Someone should definitely report it in FogBugz.

I'd be happy to if no one else has.

Hal

The Wizzard
06-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Hi, I had been successfully rendering with ScreamerNET using LW9 but now that I've set it up for 9.2, the nodes will not save the frames. I went through this with the setup in 9.0 but alas, here I am again requesting help.

All of my paths have been edited to point to 9.2 LWSN. The content seems to load into the nodes and render just fine but they will not save the frames once done rendering. Please help. Thanks...

I had the same problem and started another thread. I just got a solution that worked for my complex set-up, You may find it useful for yours:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=555581#post555581

earlyfilms
08-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I've been doing network rendering successfully in 9.0 for some time. I am still using 9.0 but I recently changed my router. Now only the node containing the Lightwave application actually saves frames, even though the messages in the batch files on the other nodes say the frame has been saved to the specified network drive. Any suggestions?

The Wizzard
08-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I've been doing network rendering successfully in 9.0 for some time. I am still using 9.0 but I recently changed my router. Now only the node containing the Lightwave application actually saves frames, even though the messages in the batch files on the other nodes say the frame has been saved to the specified network drive. Any suggestions?

Not sure about the change of router causing the fail - If the network is setup the same and all drives are in the same config, there ( IMO ) should be no problem - Sorry.

On a lighter note I've sorted my situation a while back.. Too busy until now to post it.

I've given up on trying to save to another networked drive. Remember I had content on Z: and rendered frames going to X:[folder]. So now everything works if i keep rendered frames folder with the content directory.

heathwater
08-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Attempting to setup a Farm using Matt's tutorial. Everything seems to be working but no .tga's are seen. I have tried using the same directory as the scene file (though that is NOT optimal) and still no dice. The nodes claim to be processing all requests but no files. Anyone have any suggestion for a newbie?

Allocating frame buffers.
Allocating segment buffers.
Updating geometry.
Moving text.
Transforming coordinates.
Removing hidden polygons.
Sorting polygons.
Rendering frame 35, segment 1/1, pass 1/1.
Rendering opaque polygons.
Integrating pixels.
Writing RGB image to \\Rf-sup\workspace\Prop_Library\network_test\scenes\003 5.tga.
Frame completed.
Last Frame Rendered: 35.
Rendering Time: 0.0 seconds.
Freeing segment buffers.
Freeing frame buffers.

LightWave command: wait.
sendack: Ready

The Wizzard
08-23-2007, 11:34 PM
I've given up on trying to save to another networked drive. Remember I had content on Z: and rendered frames going to X:[folder]. So now everything works if i keep rendered frames folder with the content directory.

Alllllll-righty then.... Just got 9.3 and i'm pleased to announce that everything is back to normal... Well for me at least.

I now can keep my content directory as Z:\[PROJECT_NAME] and my screamer rendered frames WILL save to the other drive X:\[FRAMES]
Just like it was back in the 9.0 days :)

Thanks to everyone that posted and your advice :thumbsup:

And for Reference, Here's my setup:

Each Machine is connected to my NAS device via the LAN.

Also each machine has the following setup:

Default Local LW install: C:\program files\.... lightwave 9.3\ Inc all plugins
Default local config files: C:\Documents and Settings\wizzard\*.cfg's

NAS Drive - Z:\ - The Content Drive (Scenes, Models, Surfaces, etc)
NAS Drive - X:\ - Outup folders are on this one
Standard network map drive P:\ - LWSN Ack & Job files

My Machine set-ups

Machine 1 - Control machine (Laptop)
Has local folder 'c:\screamer' mapped to P:\ - for Ack* & Job*

Machines 2,3,4,5,6 Render Node machines (Desktops)
Default LW install :c:\program files\.... lightwave 9.3\
Standard network map drive P:\

So that each LWSN program is using the same (*.cfg files), a folder on Z:\config has a copy of the *.cfg files on it. And here is one of my BAT Files from Node 1 showing the LWSN commands:

echo init >p:\job1
LWSN.exe -2 -dp:\ -cz:\config\lw3.cfg p:\job1 p:\ack1

..Hope it helps... someone! LOL