PDA

View Full Version : LW9/Fprime speed test: PC v Bootcamp

kopperdrake
05-25-2007, 08:14 AM
I guess it doesn't mean much to some people but I've just completed my own comparison test seeing as I've finally managed to get Bootcamp working with the ATI card.

The two machines are: Mac Pro, dual Quad core 3.0Ghz running latest Bootcamp, and HP xw6000 dual 3.2Ghz Xeon Workstation.

basic LW version 9.0, FPrime version 3

On a test scene - a lower-rez version of this one http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67091

the Mac is rendering 435% faster than the PC in bootcamp. In reality terms I'm going to get an A4 @ 300dpi image rendered oevrnight in FPrime with 3 bounces and 200% Intensity, 2 area lights and a light dome, as opposed to a weekend render on the PC!

Now I've got Bootcamp up and running, if anyone wants to throw any test scenes at me for LW9 I'll be only too glad to test them out. I'll be putting the PR1 of LW9.2 on as well. Also running 9.2UB on the Mac side, but unfortunately I can't run FPrime in UB yet. I'll post any results for mac UB in the UB section, obviously :)

kopperdrake
05-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Quick update - leaving it longer has moved the speed percentage up to around 525%

toby
05-25-2007, 12:48 PM
So Fprime must see all 8 processors? I thought it only saw 2 -

Nigel Baker
05-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi Duncan,

I care, I really do care.
Thanks, very in teresting.

Your so lucky :)

kopperdrake
05-26-2007, 03:50 AM
Ah Nigel - bless ya sir :) Btw - we're over in Wexford for a week from the 9th of June if you fancy a beer?

Toby - it *seems* to see all 8 - I'll look for an app that measures CPU useage and check properly. All I know is that that render at A4 with 5mm bleed @ 300dpi is going to be done in 12 hours - render quality at the moment is at 17.3 after 8 hours. I can't get over how quiet this box is! My little Shuttle PC is louder with its one fan!

kopperdrake
05-26-2007, 11:34 AM
According to Windows Task Manager, it's reporting full useage of all 8 processors - whether you trust TM is another matter ;)

Captain Obvious
05-26-2007, 03:07 PM
FPrime Render version 2 used up to five threads; version 3 up to at least eight.

Also, a Mac is "just a PC"; the only thing Bootcamp does is patch the firmware for BIOS emulation, repartitions your hard drive and lets you burn a CD with drivers. Performance of a Mac running Windows will be exactly the same as any other machine with the same specs.

kopperdrake
05-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks for claryfing the thread useage with FPrime 3 captain :)

Totally aware of the 'just a PC' issue - I had to install some of my own drivers to get the ATI card working properly, Apple's driver disk it made for me didn't work that smoothly when it came to the card. One of the reasons I went for the Mac was that there was nothing on the PC front at that time with that power/price ratio, so I knew in theory I could fall back on LW under Bootcamp until LW UB came out, and still have a decent LW box, albeit with the Windows interface I'm trying to get away from :)

As soon as LW UB is out and aired I'll probably not bother with Bootcamp :)

musick
05-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow, thanks for this info. Very interesting and good to know.

Sande
05-29-2007, 05:52 AM
I had to install some of my own drivers to get the ATI card working properly, Apple's driver disk it made for me didn't work that smoothly when it came to the card.
BTW, are you also using X1900XT with your Mac? I also had some problems with bootcamp and that card and I ended up fixing it with Omega-drivers. Did you use official drivers or Omega's?

kopperdrake
05-29-2007, 07:19 AM
Yep - it's the x1900XT. Ati have some bootcamp drivers on their website which I used instead of those from Apple, they seemed to do the trick and it's happily running a dual monitor setup at the moment :)

Sande
05-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Ahh, good to know if I run into troubles with these drivers. :)

Word of warning: (at least in the current beta) there seems to be a bit more problems with bootcamp and MacPro than just Ati's drivers. I've also had several "delayed write failed"-errors with my external harddrive (LaCie Big Disk Extreme d2). There has never been such errors with MacBook Pro and bootcamp (nor plain old PC with XP) so I guess these happen because of Intel chipset drivers.

byte_fx
06-01-2007, 12:58 AM
Which version of Boot Camp are you using?

I haven't had any of those problems.

I'm not running FPrime but that wouldn't affect the ATI driver install etc.

I'm running B C 1.2 - earlier versions had balky installs pretty much accross the board.

And I'm on a Dual two core system also - although it's likely to have a couple of dual quad cores as stable mates soon.

Not knocking Apple but rev 0 systems seem to experience some problems.

Sande
06-01-2007, 03:29 AM
byte_fx, I got my new machine last week and installed bootcamp couple of days later, so I guess I have the latest version. Problems with X1900XT seem to be quite common, I don't know if many have had troubles with external drives though...
Well, bootcamp is still in beta, so if there are a couple of bugs I'm not that surprised. October is coming fast. :)

TomT
06-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Imagine if Worley and Newtek actually got UB software out the door!
-T