PDA

View Full Version : Mirage <-> SE workflow?

Twrch
05-25-2007, 12:20 AM
OK, I got Mirage to do sloMo, rotoscoping masks, and FX. I'm bumbling around trying to find an effecient workflow. I know there are battle hardened pros here that could lend some tips and tricks on this subject.

Currently, I am working with anamophic widescreen DV brought into SE's SpeedHQ codec, 29.97fps, fielded, 720x480.

1. What are good import/export settings?

2. Do you keep your FX separate and bring it back in as an overlay with an alpha channel?

3. What format for FX overlays? TGA sequence, AVI, etc.?

Right now, when I import, I get "slats" wherever there is a lot of motion. I know it has to be my settings, but which one?

Thanks in advance.

SBowie
05-25-2007, 07:08 AM
1. What are good import/export settings?As a VT-head, I still lean towards uncompressed, primarily AVI (BGR32), but if size is an issue you're probably ok with SpeedHQ for most things (unlike the original DV, of course, it will preserve your alpha channel, which may be handy.)

2. Do you keep your FX separate and bring it back in as an overlay with an alpha channel?You can go either way here. For longer jobs, and where simple 'color' compositing is adequate, I'd likely do that (Mirage can bog down with long sequences.) If you want to play around with other "Merge modes" at times, Mirage will let you do that.

3. What format for FX overlays? TGA sequence, AVI, etc.?Either would be fine, though personally I find it easier to deal with a single 10 second AVI than 300 Targas. ;)

Right now, when I import, I get "slats" wherever there is a lot of motion.I think you are referring to the Mirage preview window here - by default, it shows both fields when the project is interlaced. This is entirely correct, and provided you get the field order right, should look perfect when played back on a TV set. (The SE Output windows can work the same way, but has several options for dealing with fields.)

There are three consecutive buttons on the lower right of the Mirage Project Window - [B], [1] and [2]. When the first one is highlighted (the default), you will see both fields - selecting either of the others shows just one field at a time, and your 'slats' will disappear.

dantor
05-25-2007, 01:39 PM
How did you get Mirage to do slow mo?

SBowie
05-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Stretch the clip on the timeline, by dragging the white 'stretch handle' on the right-hand end of a layer; for most video purposes, checkmark "Interpolate" in the dialog that pops up when you do that.