PDA

View Full Version : Devoid of books...

Garyrw
05-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Has anyone noticed that LW books seem to be dwindling like moisture in an arid desert?

I went to a Borders and two different Barnes and Noble's and they had less than a spectacular selection of LW books... in fact all one had was Inside LightWave 9 which I already had.

I did get a book on "creating 3D worlds" which had some interesting ideas... but what's up with the 6 gazillion Maya and 3DS Max books...? I went away from 3DS in version 3 and Maya/SoftImage...dunno...it was a Windows NT version (gulp! :D ) then...

Not that I'm adverse to trying to cull info out of another book, but being that I am a relative newcomer to 3D and LightWave, I need my fix of stuff for what I bought a dongle for!

Amazon, of course, is online crack... but it doesn't have that "instant gratification" that going and picking up a couple of books, pouring through them and blowing a weekend away does... :D

~3DG.

Wonderpup
05-25-2007, 06:09 AM
Here in the uk spotting a lightwave book in the wild is a major event- borders use to carry them here but i guess they decided it wasn't worth the effort for so few sales. But at least there are books- people using C4D have about two to choose from last time I looked- thought it may be a bit better now.

mattclary
05-25-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't think the number has dwindled, I think the number available has grown, but brick and mortar stores have probably just not added all the new titles.

Garyrw
05-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Yeah, that's certainly true but the Maya books were bulging and even a few C4D and SoftImage xSI were there... and 1 LightWave book. I went back the next week...same thing. I'm sure you're right - but you'd think they would carry a slightly more balanced mix...

"spotting a lightwave book in the wild is a major event" - LOL!! Same here in the US, my friend!

IMI
05-27-2007, 12:53 AM
LightWave v9 Lighting by Nicholas Boughen just came out recently, as did LightWave 9 Texturing (both books by Wordware).
I ordered mine through Books a Million online, because I have a "Millionaire Club" membership there (got Dan's latest as well), but either they or B&N would be able to order them for pickup from their stores.

It does seem though that there's a void in the world of LW books, and Dan Ablan will be leaving a *huge* gap when LW 10 comes out and there is no Inside Lightwave 10 to go with it...

Seems as though the big thing these days is DVD's with video tutorials, which is a great thing, but I'd be far more inclined to buy those DVD's if they also came with an equally detailed book - it's nice to lay back on the couch and have something to read and not have to be staring at a computer screen through a huge lesson or course, which is one of the reasons I like Dan's latest 2 LW books the best - detailed text with pictures and the DVD's supplement the lessons, but are not the main thing.

jin choung
05-27-2007, 04:40 AM
geez... as a bibliophile, that is probably the most strikingly frightening topic i've ever read!

well, thankfully, amazon carries any and all the books you will ever need for lightwave but yah, it may indeed be telling that they're not showing up in retail though....

alas.

if we start seeing more blender books in the wild than lw... then we're in trouble.

jin

IMI
05-27-2007, 06:19 AM
if we start seeing more blender books in the wild than lw... then we're in trouble.

jin

LOL, I hear ya!

Apparently Essential LightWave v9 is about to come out too:
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-LightWave-v9-Fastest-Easiest/dp/1598220241/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-7796434-0594020?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180268012&sr=1-2

Dexter2999
05-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Locally, I found Inside LW 9 in one store. Another store was still stocking Inside LW 8. To be fair the 3d software sections were pretty barren in my opinion. There were only two shelves dedicated to 3d. Meanwhile Photoshop alone has 5 or 6. Flash has about 4 (4 1/2) shelves. So to find that there was only one book on LW, one on MAX, and four books for Maya (they were the official training series) was pretty lame.

On the upside, if you look up the ISBN number they will order it for you. I like to have brick and mortar bookstores....but I am so tempted by the allure of the huge bargains of the internet. Plus it is faster to order a book online and have it sent straight to my house rather than have the store order it then have them call me to drive over to pick it up.

Preferably I like to have the selection there in the store. I like to thumb through different books on the same subject and compare which one appeals more to me and my learning style.

If the brick and mortar stores start to go away, buying a book will become a crapshoot to some extent.

IMI
05-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Dexter, If you're in Orlando, are you talking about the Barnes and Noble on OBT by the mall and next to Best Buys? That's where I found not only Inside LW 7 & 8, but also LightWave 3D 8 Texturing.
I just ask because last time I was in there I saw the same thing - enough Photoshop and Flash reading to keep anyone busy for a year. ;)
Now I just order books online. I have to be in a *very* patient mood to get anywhere near that store, considering the horrendous traffic.

JamesCurtis
05-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Out my way [Ohio], at Borders or Barnes and Noble, not a single LW book to be found! Max and Maya books galore though!! Heck, even Poser has 2 there! And you're right - enough Photoshop and Flash books to choke even the biggest horse!!

Dexter2999
05-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Dexter, If you're in Orlando, are you talking about the Barnes and Noble on OBT by the mall and next to Best Buys? That's where I found not only Inside LW 7 & 8, but also LightWave 3D 8 Texturing.
I just ask because last time I was in there I saw the same thing - enough Photoshop and Flash reading to keep anyone busy for a year. ;)
Now I just order books online. I have to be in a *very* patient mood to get anywhere near that store, considering the horrendous traffic.

That's one of them. The other one was the BORDERS BOOKS on Sand Lake near Florida Mall.

I pretty much just go in to get HDRI and Cinefex anymore (odd issue of American Cinematographer, Script, etc.)

Andyjaggy
05-27-2007, 12:23 PM
When I first got into Lightwave I could go to the local store and find several books. I haven't spotted one in years though.

newsvixen8
05-27-2007, 07:18 PM
On a happier note, HDRI 3D magazine may be turning back toward its Lightwave roots. The former Keyframe mag has been heavily into Maya while the talented Mr. Dariush Derakhshani was editor-in-chief. He has stepped aside, and the current issue (#14) is heavily weighted with Lightwave related pieces. (My favorite is a brilliantly illustrated 8-page tutorial on texture baking, including use of the new texture baking camera in LW9.) This edition is worth looking at.

Dexter2999
05-27-2007, 07:38 PM
On a happier note, HDRI 3D magazine may be turning back toward its Lightwave roots. The former Keyframe mag has been heavily into Maya while the talented Mr. Dariush Derakhshani was editor-in-chief. He has stepped aside, and the current issue (#14) is heavily weighted with Lightwave related pieces. (My favorite is a brilliantly illustrated 8-page tutorial on texture baking, including use of the new texture baking camera in LW9.) This edition is worth looking at.

Thank you NewsVixen8. And now to Andyjaggy with the weather...

sorry, with the s/n and that write up I couldn't let it slide.

newsvixen8
05-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh, man! You caught me monologuing, er, editorializing...:D

jin choung
05-29-2007, 12:26 AM
:) nicely done dex

jin