PDA

View Full Version : How do you texture different layer objects in the same object?

Snowhill06
05-24-2007, 02:28 PM
First of all i am not sure if this is the right forum thread to post my question but here it is. I am making a detailed spaceship model. I first made the main hull and textured it. In a separate file I made other detailed parts to put on the ship later like some pipes on hull, the engines etc. I also put the textures on each of the models im using for extra detail on the ship. Here is where my problem starts. I loaded up the main hull section. Then I selected the next layer using the little blue rectangle layer buttons at the top right corner. When i tryed to textur either the first layer model or the second layer model the texture would be the same for both! How do i have differnt object loaded into modeler that are part of one big model but with textures?Does it have to do with the surface editor, the layers or what?

Sensei
05-24-2007, 02:33 PM
You should use UV maps and/or give 2nd layer different surface than 1st layer..

Snowhill06
05-24-2007, 02:35 PM
how do i make more surfaces for more layer objects? Whenever i click on the surface editor i just have the 1 surface of the first layer object.

Sensei
05-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Select some polygons and press 'q' and give new name. Then it'll appear in Surface Editor. The same way you can set all polygons to the same surface. Pick up one existing from drop down list, or enter new name to create completely new. Press right mouse button in Surface Editor surface list, and copy'n'paste to second newly made surface, if you want to have the same settings. Then adjust.

Snowhill06
05-24-2007, 02:58 PM
thanks that helped alot and fixed my problem!