PDA

View Full Version : LW9 Book: Inside or Essential ?

CreepinJesus
05-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Can I just have a few reviews/opinions about Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave 9 and Steve Warner's Essential Lightwave 9 ? I'm undecided as to which one to buy. They're pretty much the same price...but to be honest, the Essential one (seeing as its only released in a week or two) must be more thought-through and based on the retail version of LW9 rather than all the Beta versions that Inside is probably based on ?

I realise that Essential is not released yet, but you could base your reply on previous versions :).

Hipcheck
05-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Inside... most definitely. Dan is the best. Inside is actually more based on 9.2 than on 9 and its betas.

SplineGod
05-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Ive always liked the Wordware books. They are always very deep and thorough.
You would be hard pressed to find ppl who know LW better then Steve Warner, Kevin Phillips and Timothy Albee. :)

Weetos
05-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Get both of them !

Seriously :thumbsup:

CreepinJesus
05-23-2007, 02:01 PM
Ok not much help so far...thanks though. To be honest, I think I'm going to go with the Warner one...

tonybliss
05-23-2007, 03:00 PM
simple ...
from the last ones

essential LW - best explains the interface and tools in more detail with tutorials
Inside LW - Heavily tutorial based(excellent tuts btw) with explainations

Best option get both :)

SplineGod
05-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Also, the books sometimes tend to show up on ebay at some point. :)

zapper1998
05-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Great Book

JeffrySG
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Just to know... ILW9 comes with many videos on DVD also, its got to be around 10 or so hours of videos or more.... very very good book and videos so far. And Dan even has updated videos to download from the website for people who own the book.

--Jeff

Dexter2999
05-23-2007, 10:15 PM
I just checked AMazon.com Dan Ablan's book lists for almost $60. (They sell it for less but that is the same price as my local book store) If you buy Essentials and Inside together they will sell them to you for $70. That is a bargain I think I will take myself.

colkai
05-24-2007, 03:06 AM
Inside is worth it, can't say about Essentials as obviously it's not here yet.

For me, really, I'd gulp down hard and buy both. ;)

There are only a few authors / books who I'll not get, too much learning is never enough. :D

Wordware
05-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Dan does some nice work, no question. Our Essentials book was delayed while Steve and Kevin added around 10 hours of 9.2 training videos to the DVD. It will be out in June, be right at 1000 pages, include the DVD, and it's priced at $49.95. With the discounts we're going to post here, (just like we did for LightWave v9 Texturing and LightWave v9 Lighting), we'll do what we can to hook you guys up with a copy of Essentials.

Thanks,

Tim McEvoy
Wordware Publishing, Inc.

colkai
05-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Here's hoping we don't get stiffed in the UK with the old pound per dollar from amazon. Eek!
I'll be seeing what A1Books offer it for I think, unless of course, we can get it at a good price direct. ;)

Weetos
05-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I got Dan's latest LW book for $40 at www.caimanzone.net

When I told you to get both, I really meant it - Inside is among Amazon's best sellers, and Steve Warner's book is recommended by lots of LW users, Larry included - Those books GOT TO BE on your shelf as a serious LW user

If you're running low on cash, consider buying them used :D

IMI
05-27-2007, 08:37 AM
I'm looking forward to the Essential book. :)

CreepinJesus, I bought Dan's Inside LW 9 book a few weeks ago, and it is truly what everyone above said, plus some - excellent, and a very easy read, with great videos and concise explanations. Entertaining too. :D