PDA

View Full Version : 9.2 Area Light Shadows Seam Grainy Now?

rickmorgan
05-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Is this just me or are the area light shadows a little more grainy now? I opened up a scene I did in 9.0 and now they seam to be a bit grainy, kind of like an FPrime render?

Maybe this is just me as I did an extreme closeup (that I did not do before in 9.0) and the shadows looked grainy.

Giacomo99
05-23-2007, 09:50 AM
You may well be right. Lots of stuff got tweaked with the 9.2 upgrade--it would probably behoove you to discard all your previous knowledge about render and lighting settings and do some experimentation.

There might even be something on the changes in the 9.2 docs, although based on past documentation, I doubt it.

Ztreem
05-23-2007, 01:35 PM
With the new AA system you can get rid of the noise easy, enable Adaptive sampling and set it to 0.02 and the noise should go away.

Giacomo99
05-23-2007, 02:56 PM
With the new AA system you can get rid of the noise easy, enable Adaptive sampling and set it to 0.02 and the noise should go away.

Especially watch out for the new adaptive sampling levels. I've had scenes where the rendering time went WAY up under the new system.

Elmar Moelzer
05-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Area lights have a different sampling pattern now (more random than before), from what I understand. It is easier to reduce the noise now with AA, than it was before (before a sort of pattern was forming and getting even clearer the higher the AA).
CU
Elmar