PDA

View Full Version : Help with Smooth Shift problem

Twisted Designs
05-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Not sure I posted this in the right spot previously:

Hello everyone. I have been using your forums as a great informational tool for awhile now and thankfully havent found a reason to request your help as of yet.

Well today I found that reason! A little background: I am self employed graphic designer in a small town in Northern,MN. My work has been limited to advertisements in papers, business cards, flyers, banners, etc. Well recently a job position became available at a local architectural firm designing 3d flythroughs of client proposals. I had some experience with Lightwave in College back in 2002 but have since forgot most of it. Thankfully, the owners son and I went to school together so I have been giving some time to get a grasp on this program again. So goes 12+ hours a day of "training".

Here i my problem, I have been training myself using "tutorials" online and I am finding it great help. However, I finally came to a project that has me stuck on a step dealing with Smooth Shift. Here is the Step of the project I am on: http://www.lwg3d.org/tuts/Mig3/Chap003.htm

I am where it says to select the 4 polys and press F to Smooth Shift and then right click without moving the mouse. Well, supposedly it is suppose to create an identical replica of all 4 polys in the same spot so that I can shift them upward to form the tail. Everytime I right click though it deforms the 4 polys, I have tried everything I can think of to create these 4 replica polys using what I know of the program but I just cant figure it out. Can someone let me know if I am doing something wrong. I will post screen shots if needed to figure out what I am doing wrong. Please help!

gerry_g
05-22-2007, 05:05 PM
It's SHIFT+F to smooth shift them, and drag laterally to move them, hope that solves it for you

Bytehawk
05-23-2007, 07:33 AM
or you could just press e (for extender) without quitting the move/scale/whatever tool