PDA

View Full Version : Tentacle maipulation in modeler..

SaturnX
05-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Ive been modeling lots of crazy swirly tentacles for the past couple of days.
Is it possible to resize and stretch the polygons, but only along their individual normals ? For example, if i wanted to simply slim down or fatten the tentacle.. is there a tool that'll let me do that easily?

JGary
05-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Ive been modeling lots of crazy swirly tentacles for the past couple of days.
Is it possible to resize and stretch the polygons, but only along their individual normals ? For example, if i wanted to simply slim down or fatten the tentacle.. is there a tool that'll let me do that easily?

Try Smooth Scale. It might also be called Replicate depending on what menu config your using.

SplineGod
05-22-2007, 11:47 AM
If you create the tentacles with magic bevel you can edit them to make then twist, taper etc towards the ends.
Instead of smooth scale I would use point normal move because its interactive. :)

SplineGod
05-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Not that smooth scale is bad or anything... :)

JGary
05-22-2007, 01:31 PM
If you create the tentacles with magic bevel you can edit them to make then twist, taper etc towards the ends.
Instead of smooth scale I would use point normal move because its interactive. :)

Yes, interactive tool, always better. I wasn't aware of that one. I really need to take a look at the newer tools in modeler.

SaturnX
05-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks JGary and splinegod for the replies..
I tried them both. They both work nice... (why on earth is smooth scale called replicate????)

Point normal move is perfect though... It has a realtime preview, thats always good. Anyway, it does what i needed.
Thanks again guys

:)

SplineGod
05-22-2007, 01:45 PM
I think sometimes someone names tools by playing spin the bottle...

SaturnX
05-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I think sometimes someone names tools by playing spin the bottle...
Yeah... but only after consuming the alcoholic contents of the bottle/bottles in question first... ?

In any case... If this is common practice within NewTek circles... then NewTek... I salut you!