PDA

View Full Version : Keanu Reeves in good film shock...`

starbase1
05-22-2007, 03:41 AM
I finally got around to seeing "Through a scanner darkly", and I thought it was absolutely brilliant - and extremely faithful to the book, right down the the dedication at the end.

I also thought the rotoscoping worked VERY well, particularly the scramble suit.

Wonderful to see someone finally doing PK Dick properly rather that trying to turn it into standard hollywood action mulch.

Nick

hrgiger
05-22-2007, 04:07 AM
Ok, Keanu Reeves has been in a lot of good movies. I mean, lets not forget Bill and Teds excellent adventure and Bill and Teds Bogus Journey.

iconoclasty
05-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Did it really pick up after the first 15 minutes? Cause that's as far as I got. The "plot" was putting me to sleep and the "animation" was making me nauseous.

Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

starbase1
05-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Well, I can understand that the rotoscoping would not be to everyone's taste, and it is also one of PKD's blackest works. (And one of my very favourite books).

Basically you are watching the Reeves character (Bob Arctor / Fred) go completely schizophrenic and break down. And the deeper stuff going on is only made clear at the very end.

Nick

sammael
06-10-2007, 06:28 AM
I just watched this a couple of days ago. Great film, it reminds me of my housemate and his friends though, they're here right now getting a pissed and stoned as they possibly can. Prety distrespectful on a Sunday night when my partner and I have to work in the morning, but the guy's a drug f*cked idiot so what can I say. Pity rental propertys are scarse around here at the moment or I would have been out of here months aso (end rant)
Good film anyway, I thought it was very clever.

jin choung
06-10-2007, 09:30 PM
loved how delightfully bleak it is in the end. very satisfyingly sad. i thought keanu was good in the matrix and the gift as well (who new katie holmes had such a rack!).

jin

lesterfoster
06-11-2007, 04:43 AM
After doing an extensive search, I found a link to a trailer of the movie. It has a different look.
http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wip/us/med/scanner_darkly/scanner_darkly_a_tlr2_qt_500.mov

mattclary
06-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Well, I can understand that the rotoscoping would not be to everyone's taste, and it is also one of PKD's blackest works. (And one of my very favourite books).

The blackest work of someone who specializes in black work. Sounds delightful. ;)

dsol
06-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Ok, Keanu Reeves has been in a lot of good movies. I mean, lets not forget Bill and Teds excellent adventure and Bill and Teds Bogus Journey.

Hmmm... and there was this other film he did, a sci-fi one. Quite good I recall. Martial arts and stuff with a cuperpunk story. Now if only I could remember what it was called.

"the Matrix?"

nah - oh, that's it: JOHNNY MNEMONIC!

just kidding. JM is horrible and made me want to scoop out my eyes. But you can't mention Keanu without mentioning ******* POINT BREAK!

:)

mattclary
06-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I liked Constantine pretty well. I think the only movies of his I have DISLIKED were the Matrix sequels. You know, I hear he's actually a pretty cool dude. On one of his movies (may have been one of the Matrixes), he bought the special effects crew motorcycles. No sh*t.

CMT
06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
But you can't mention Keanu without mentioning ******* POINT BREAK!

:)

Yep. The problem was that Keanu's brilliant portrayal of a surfer cop was totally overshadowed by the stellar performance of Gary Busy..... :P

Actually, the movie wasn't that bad. I enjoyed it somewhat.

And I liked all the Matrix films, though they f'd up the ending.

jasonwestmas
06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Reeves is a generous dude and a good actor after some instruction/directing.

SBowie
06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I had a suit jacket made of that material back in the 60's ...

starbase1
06-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I really think KR is pretty awful in all his other films.

He tends to stand around with no particular expression, apart from occasionally looking somewhat confused... With scanner, that's what the role required.

Oh, and I also think all 3 matrix films were complete tosh. Occasionally stylish tosh, but absolute, silly, inconsistent, plot holes the size of a planet, makes Noddy goes to toytown look like Nobel prize winning literature, tosh.

Nick

hrgiger
06-11-2007, 03:06 PM
I like Keanu. He gets a bad rap for being a bunk actor but he's been in a lot of good movies.

As I've mentioned, both Bill and Ted movies are great.
The first Matrix.
Parenthood.
The Devil's advocate.
Speed.
Dracula(although his accent was pretty bad).
Point Break.
A walk in the clouds(chick flik though)
The Replacements.

v1u1ant
06-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I really liked this film. Definitley gets over what Dick was trying to put forward in his stories, monopolistic companies ruling ordinary peoples lives etc. Really cool rotoscoping, which i just like anyway.

jin choung
06-11-2007, 10:57 PM
point break was awesome! dude, he jumps out of the plane without a parachute!

what's not to like.

busey was good, as was swayze... bodhi dude... bodhi....

the first matrix was tight. but one HUUUUUUUuuuuge plot failure - if humans can live off of geothermal heat, why in the world can't the machines?! probably much more efficient than people power.

i believe he bought the motorcycles for the stunt crew... so yah, not every rotoscoper at manex gotta a harley!

anyhoo, he does seem like a cool guy and he does get an undeservedly bad rap. sure, his "self" and his personality comes through in every single one of his roles but so does PACINO's! or deniro's! they are never not themselves either....

i guess people have an issue with keanu cuz his "self" is channeling a surfer dude... but whatevs...

jin

dsol
06-12-2007, 04:37 AM
Oh, and I also think all 3 matrix films were complete tosh. Occasionally stylish tosh, but absolute, silly, inconsistent, plot holes the size of a planet, makes Noddy goes to toytown look like Nobel prize winning literature, tosh.

Don't listen to Nick - everyone knows he's working for the machines! </paranoid> :D

dsol
06-12-2007, 04:50 AM
the first matrix was tight. but one HUUUUUUUuuuuge plot failure - if humans can live off of geothermal heat, why in the world can't the machines?! probably much more efficient than people power.

I was hoping they were going to explain this obvious anomaly in the sequels. Like, they knew it was grossly inefficent - but the machines still cared about the humans, despite their previous history and the matrix was their bizarre way of keeping the human race viable in the post apocalyptic world. In a "zoo", as hugo weaving's character puts it (in the first film). And maybe taps into their brains for distributed processing as a sideline :)

Instead we have two incoherent sequels which don't even achieve the level of "interesting" failures. Just plain bad.

Anyway, this could swiftly degrade into a matrix rant, so I'll shut up right now :D

starbase1
06-12-2007, 07:33 AM
I really liked this film. Definitley gets over what Dick was trying to put forward in his stories, monopolistic companies ruling ordinary peoples lives etc. Really cool rotoscoping, which i just like anyway.

I normally hate rotoscoping, but in this case it did a great job of blurring the line between fx shots, (e.g. druggy visions) and the real world. And the scramble suit was just perfect, (and I found it difficult to imagine from the book).

Incidentally, if you liked this, try the book "The 3 stigmata of Palmer Eldritch", another frightening druggy one, but much more SF.

And for something a bit funnier, "The Zap Gun" is brilliant, though very sixties. (The cold war arms race is a con and none of the weapons work - then the aliens arrive and they need some real ones...)

dsol
06-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Did PKD write any stories that *didn't* involve drugs? Not that I'm complaining. "Now wait for last year" is good too. I was a bit disappointed by "Man in the High castle" though.

starbase1
06-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Did PKD write any stories that *didn't* involve drugs? Not that I'm complaining. "Now wait for last year" is good too. I was a bit disappointed by "Man in the High castle" though.

Er... Man in the High Castle for one!

Actually I think he did lots of them - though many of his most distinctive stuff does.

Nick

dsol
06-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Hmm.... well Man in the high castle certainly has its trippy aspects. Tons of self-internalisation and an ending that (Spoiler!) suggests the entire narrative is a fiction/drug trip/dream. I hated the ending BTW - it opened up all manner of interesting possibilities then went nowhere