PDA

View Full Version : Is the CG room why to be dim?

katsh
05-22-2007, 02:53 AM
hey i saw "Production profile 300" its so cool.
I thought strangely from the time before.
why ALL CG room of CG production is lika a Darkroom?
i have never seen Bright job scenery .
everytime i see something movie that is interview of CG artist in CG work room, the room is 100% dark.

It is to be a reason it must be dark?

As for question of this kind, it being possible only here.
here is so great and fun space.

Sarford
05-22-2007, 05:41 AM
With too much light in a room you can't see your monitor properly, especialy when you're working with color.

katsh
05-22-2007, 06:13 AM
Yes,it make sense. but
i dont feel any Trouble to see my LCD-monitor if i illuminating the illumination of my room.
yes,it is obvious when daytime it better be dark. sun light(and reflection) is no good for monitor.
and CRT-monitor is no good in any situation i think.

sorry i just ,,I'm no big fan of that dark room.

Andyjaggy
05-22-2007, 08:22 AM
I think its partly for to make the monitor easier to see, as well as to help with color calibration and consistency. I also think a large part of it is mood. I know I work better if the lights are dim then if I were sitting in a brightly lit room.

mattclary
05-22-2007, 08:34 AM
I like working with the lights dim, but I'll be the first to admit it's really hard on the eyes.

They say you should actually work with fairly bright light when looking at a monitor.

hrgiger
05-22-2007, 10:17 AM
I like the room dark, but just enough to read my keyboard. Anything else is a waste of light.

My girlfriend likes to come in the room and throw the blinds which drives me bonkers since it creates all kinds of glare, drives me batty.

ghostlight
05-22-2007, 04:06 PM
I work using my nightvision goggles.

nthused
05-22-2007, 04:16 PM
katsh,

God-forsaken ceiling fluorescents are the bane of existence and literally suck creativity from unprotected minds :)

Sande
05-22-2007, 04:18 PM
katsh, From what I've seen, dark room probably isn't that good with LCD - they usually have very poor black levels and with dim lightning it becomes very obvious...

katsh
05-22-2007, 07:03 PM
I also think a large part of it is mood.
that what i think.

but I'll be the first to admit it's really hard on the eyes.
They say you should actually work with fairly bright light when looking at a monitor.
this is what i worry.

well, i c almost of u guys like to dim your room.
i used to like to dim my room.
especially room is dirty i like to darken my room then i dont have to see any trash.
heh, its joke.

about 3 years,i been working in the dim room. BTW my work is creating PC game(prograiimng , and of course i do modeling,rendering etc and even music and sounds)
but now,i prefer working in bright room.

i dont know that i might dim my room again if my job gettin harder than now.

i think managing MOOD is main reason.

katsh,

God-forsaken ceiling fluorescents are the bane of existence and literally suck creativity from unprotected minds :)
i cant understand what u say at all.
literary proverbial phrase or something?

katsh, From what I've seen, dark room probably isn't that good with LCD - they usually have very poor black levels and with dim lightning it becomes very obvious...
u mean it better use LCD monitor in bright room?

Sande
05-23-2007, 12:40 AM
u mean it better use LCD monitor in bright room?
Yep, I personally prefer a bit more ambient light when using LCD, especially if I have to work with very dark images - then again monitors differ, with a very good LCD the black levels may not be so problematic...

katsh
05-23-2007, 01:56 AM
oh, i understand.
thx for your knowledge.

iconoclasty
05-23-2007, 12:32 PM
My girlfriend likes to come in the room and throw the blinds which drives me bonkers since it creates all kinds of glare, drives me batty.

One of the many reasons animators aren't suppose to have girlfriends.:tsktsk:

colkai
05-24-2007, 03:01 AM
I am the opposite, I like a decent amount of light when working.
Providing the sun isn't on my screen, I love as much light as possible streaming into the room. In the evenings, I have multiple spots to light the place.

I spend my working day in a room with shutters and bars on the windows so when I get home, I grab every last ray I can. :D

Gary Wales
05-24-2007, 03:14 AM
I find that you generally *have* to have the lights out to be sure of seeing any banding and comp problems clearly - it ain't no good spotting them in a darkened cinema on distribution!

colkai
05-24-2007, 05:04 AM
Ahh, yep, I can see that, bit of a swine to find the keyboard though :p

(Especially if it's black like mine ;) )

Stooch
05-26-2007, 01:08 PM
usually CG artists are ugly so you want to dim the lights to hide the horror.

bluerider
05-26-2007, 09:33 PM
I work using my nightvision goggles.

:help: . Silence of the lambs?

bluerider
05-26-2007, 09:35 PM
usually CG artists are ugly so you want to dim the lights to hide the horror.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nicolas Jordan
05-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Anything too bright like fluorescent lights give me headaches and for some reason they contribute to tired eyes. We have dimmers on our lights at the office to control the light. We hardly ever turn them above halfway though. Nice and dim is the way we like it too! :thumbsup:

SBowie
05-27-2007, 06:41 AM
The only thing that really irritates me is reflections, so my windows are covered most of the time. I have soft light nearby sufficient to see, and small spots bouncing off the walls behind my workstation. This works well for me - not so hard on the eyes as just staring at the monitors in a dark room all day.

Bog
05-27-2007, 07:42 AM
I find it really helps to have the room darker, to focus on the displays and also to tune out the rest of the 'verse.

byte_fx
05-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Not to mention that many have calibrated monitors.

Tweaking a display's brightness to compensate for a brightly lit room upsets that; especially when trying to match the 3D lighting to existing footage of less than brightly lit scenes.

byte_fx

lots
05-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Anything too bright like fluorescent lights give me headaches and for some reason they contribute to tired eyes. We have dimmers on our lights at the office to control the light. We hardly ever turn them above halfway though. Nice and dim is the way we like it too! :thumbsup:

Fluorescent lights give you headaches because they flicker. The light that comes from them is like the light that comes from a CRT. Fluorescent lights flicker at twice the frequency of the AC power running through the lamp. Depending on which country you live in that can be 100 to 120 times per second (Hz).

Though, there are newer fluorescent bulbs that don't do this.. But those long tubes are probably not them :P I'd imagine that the back lights (fluorescent lights) in LCDs are of the non flickering variety...

Anyway I don't turn lights on, therefore it is usually dark in my rooms. But I'm a coder by nature, and most other coders I know live in the dark as well :) Nothing against light, but I can see just fine with the light that is usually already present. I don't normally think of turning them on or off actually.. The lights stay on in my office if they're on when I get there.. otherwise they stay off :)

Stooch
05-28-2007, 01:39 PM
sun burns my sensitive skin and retinas. Any kind of light scares me so i hide from it in my coffin.

Bog
05-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Small children and sensitive folk run from my face. It's better that I'm in shadow.

bluerider
05-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Small children and sensitive folk run from my face. It's better that I'm in shadow.

Talking of seeing your face....are you going to SIGGRAPH this year?

Bog
05-29-2007, 04:44 AM
I wish :( I had planned to, but the fates have conspireed against.

bluerider
05-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Sorry to hear, your obviously to much in demand :)

Bog
05-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Either that, or I'm so little in demand I just can't afford to - seems to usually be one way or the other! Oh, for a little grey area in my life...

NVentive
05-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Not only do I look better in the dark (to myself and everyone else) but my whole place looks better. Turning the lights down is sooo much easier than dusting....