PDA

View Full Version : non planar poly

redlum
05-21-2007, 02:03 PM
is there a way to change a non-planar polygon planar? or is that even the right terminology?

Tank
05-21-2007, 03:06 PM
And this http://flay.com/getdetail.cfm?ID=542

Sorry. Looks like he no longer has it posted. If you can find someone that has the file, it was a useful tool.

redlum
05-21-2007, 03:30 PM
what is the tool called? Oh wait, I see it. Hmm wonder where it went.

hrgiger
05-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Tripling the polygon is an option but I almost never use it. Is your model subpatch? Because tripling it isn't a good option in that case. It just depends upon the placement.
You can easily fix a non-planar polygon by simply repositioning the point that is causing the polygon to be non-planar in the first place. The manual states this in enough detail in the descriptions of points and polygons.

Bytehawk
05-21-2007, 04:17 PM
does "flatten" help (based on point normal) ?

Tank
05-21-2007, 04:31 PM
You can easily fix a non-planar polygon by simply repositioning the point that is causing the polygon to be non-planar in the first place. The manual states this in enough detail in the descriptions of points and polygons.

That's what YMPlanar did. You told it what axis to move the point on to make the polygon planar, and it figured it out and moved the point for you.

SplineGod
05-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Sometimes making one polygon planar makes another one nonplanar :)

Bytehawk
05-21-2007, 04:43 PM
indeed, like a cat chasing its tail - there you go flattening another polygon...

hrgiger
05-21-2007, 06:40 PM
If you find yourself like "a cat chasing its tail" or constantly making one poly unplanar as you make another planar, it's probably telling you you're not using enough polygons to define a curve. Careful use of the smooth tool can also help you make your polygons planar.

IMI
05-21-2007, 06:50 PM
I have to say I struggled with that for a good while - yanking points around to flatten out one, then noticing I'd screwed up several more, but the smooth tool and cutting and spinning quads and such can really help alot.

byte_fx
05-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Another thing that seems to happen is extra points that are very closely spaced. Somtimes they're even stacked on each other.