PDA

View Full Version : How many of you guys 3D for 2d?

Texas Dave
05-21-2007, 01:42 PM
For those of you that use lightwave to create 2d images, how many of you are well versed in photoshop? It seems to me that the benefit of being about to finish out an image in photoshop and being about to go back and forth and add 3d object to your image is a big plus. Just curious.

Ztreem
05-21-2007, 03:21 PM
I use photoshop a lot and it helps me very much when I do 3D stills, here's an example I made a while ago. The character is the only thing done in LW the rest is photoshop. I also use Photoshop for making textures.

shrox
05-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes, I use Lightwave for just about everything, even print ad layouts.

Bytehawk
05-21-2007, 04:19 PM
yep, I always finish a render with some post in Photoshop. Tweaking the colours, adding bloom, removing grain etc....

Lightwolf
05-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Well versed. I use it on both ends of the pipeline (to produce source images as well as finishing them). However, most of our work is animated, so I tend to use Fusion more for finishing.

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Technically, we all do. Lightwave can only render to 2D formats.

Steamthrower
05-21-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm not a sole 3d designer; I also do graphic design and web development. Therefore I am an expert with Photoshop.

Actually, if I didn't have Photoshop, Lightwave would be pretty much useless for me because I use the two apps in tandem so much.

theo
05-21-2007, 07:08 PM
Apex-level essentials for finishing my creations: Fusion for anims and PS for statix.

starbase1
05-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Nope, I bodge my way with Photoshop - though some time I really must take the time to get to grips with it.

My main use for it is restoring very old photos...

flakester
05-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Same here.

Photoshop for textures - or augmenting photos for textures.

After render time, it's either back into Photoshop, or After Effects.
I'm finding AFX has better support for 32 bit+ image formats at the moment.
But without Photoshop we would be lost, or at least fumbling partially sighted through some lesser package.

flakester.

Ratboy
05-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Most of the work I do is for 2D. However, I am doing 3D for 3D as I get my rapid prototyping mojo working.

Tom Wood
05-22-2007, 10:11 AM
All my LightWave goes to Mirage for compositing with 2D motion graphics and other artwork. I use Mirage mainly because it exports RTV files for use in VT4.

CMT
05-22-2007, 10:24 AM
I use PS all the way through my workflow. For initial concept sketches, texturing(via Zapplink in ZBrush) and background effects, then postwork.

wavk
05-22-2007, 10:31 AM
ps is my savior in many cases, you should see my before and after shots.

mlon

Wickster
05-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I mainly model in Lightwave and give it to someone else, but whenever I do render something it would almost always be to compliment my Graphic Design freelance job.

klanderud
05-22-2007, 03:18 PM
Even though the place I work at has a separate division for graphic artist and multitudes of contractors. Often I have customers come to me directly because they canít get the same results anywhere else where I work at. Mainly because of Lightwave :lwicon: and the compositing between 3D and 2D. For 2D I tend to use Photoshop a lot, but I also like to enhance my images with particle painting and more natural painting like Project Dog Waffle and Corel Painter and my 3D textures with Modo or other 3d painting programs like Zbrush. For more control one canít go without a Wacom tablet monitor.

ghostlight
05-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Photoshop for texture and reference. Render in Lightwave. Then back to Photoshop or Shake for manipulation and compositing.

Sande
05-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Photoshop for textures and post processing of stills. Sometimes, especially when a client has a sudden change of mind regarding some aspect in scene, my final image ends up consisting more of Photoshop layers and tweaks than actual render... ;)