PDA

View Full Version : Capture Request

TWC
05-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Hello All,

I might be the only one, but I would really love to see a feature in capturing that allows you to select a clip size, like 5 - 7 minutes vs. capturing a complete 60 minute video on as many as 4 clips, which is what the auto chop feature does for our particular footage. I do realize that we have the option of inserting a chop every 5 minutes manually, but.... I don't think anyone really wants to do that.

Just a thought,
Tammy
TWC

Verlon
06-03-2007, 02:21 PM
I was just asking about this in another thread. I would like to be able to use markers (similar to the way you can use the 'm' key to set markers to cut to music) to set chop points and save out as separate clips. Bring able to define a preset size to auto chop would be a little less useful to me, but I could see it having applications.

Perhaps the latter could be achieved with some sort of script? Since all you would need is to insert a break at a specific interval.

billmi
06-04-2007, 11:31 AM
I would like to be able to use markers (similar to the way you can use the 'm' key to set markers to cut to music) to set chop points and save out as separate clips.

How would you place a marker on the capture screen? There's no timeline.

If you just want to chop on command, creating separate clips as you capture, that's what the chop button does.

Jim_C
06-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey Bill,

I think Verlon means on the SE timeline, place one large clip, set markers, then have SE re-encode those spaces between the markers to separate files of your choosing codec.

If this is what he means, I concur , I think this would be very helpful.

billmi
06-04-2007, 02:11 PM
Ahh, that makes sense. Seeing it in a thread on capture requests was why it wasn't meshing in my head I guess.

Like that would definitely be usefull - but it would be like Chop for Render instead of for capture - maybe a check box for render to chop on project markers.

I regularly save 1/2 hour projects as rendered DVs as a backup for conversion to other formats later. Right now, I do three renders - one from the start to the first commercial break, one from the first break to the second, and one from the second to the third - that way the data fits on a pair of DVD-R disks for storage. It would be more convenient for me if I could throw down a couple of markers, and tell it to render once, ending up with numerically incremented filenames.

Verlon
06-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Being able to mark it AS it was captured would be nice, but might not be practical. I would be quite happy with what Jim said. Here, I'll spell out the desired workflow.

1. Record 45 minutes of tape.
2. Capture 1 gigantic clip into SE
3. play back the clip pressing the 'm' key to set markers
a. repeat step 3 as often as needed to add additional markers
b. have it easy to remove single or groups of undesired markers
4. Tell SE to chop it up, and SE automatically saves the clip as a bunch of little clips that are much easier to use in other applications, and you can be sure you didn't miss that clip in the middle of your (very distant) cousin's wedding that you want to submit to America's Funniest Home Videos.
a. You can choose whether or not to destroy the original clip in this process
b. You can save the clips with different filenames OR one master filename with a number sequence for renaming later. As a bonus, the numbers could be a normal sequence OR the timestamp in the recording OR maybe even the frame count.

Paul Brunson
06-13-2007, 12:06 PM
I've been wishing for features like this for years in Toaster and now in SpeedEdit.

It would be really nice to see some media management tools. It seems we're always stuck working with footage the way it was captured. IE- If the user captures 1 60 min clip or many short clips. It would be really powerful if we could "chop" the actual video files themselves if desired. Breaking the 60 min clip up into a bunch of separate vidoe files on our hard drive.

And for that matter I'd like to see a lot of other editing functions to do the same as well. For example, I frequently find a clip that I really captured more than I need an would like to ditch 10-15 seconds at the end of the clip. How nice would it be if we could actually "Trim" the video file itself. Removing undesired extra footage on either end of the video clip itself. Something like that would be a huge hard-drive saver. For example: when working with footage that has Takes and markers (clappers). Frequently I when chopping I don't quite chop soon enough and I get a piece of the second take on the end of my first. It would be awesome if I could go back in and trim that extra off so the clip only has the one take and none of the other.

Another features i've wished for is to seam to clips together and then reposition where the one ends and the other begins. For example back to the "takes" example. Say I chopped it wrong while capturing and Take 1 has its marker (clapboard) and at end take 2's clapper as well. That leaves my take 2 clip with no marker at the beginning. It would be cool if I could grab those two clips, put them on the timeline, hit "G" to make then full. But them up against each other. Lay down a marker and render out two clips with the same name but with the cut between repositioned. Again speaking about modifying the actual source video files not the video on the timeline.

Anyway, I've all for some features like this. It would really make speed edit powerful.

That and Batch Capture of course. When your working on lots of projects. There is nothing quite like being able to wipe a project off your harddrive to make space and then return to it later by running a batch capture on the original tapes. Makes it so that as long as you keep the tapes in a safe storage and a backup of the batch capture and project files you can return to an edit months later with minimal re-capture effort.

Paul Brunson
06-13-2007, 12:12 PM
I've been wishing for features like this for years in Toaster and now in SpeedEdit.

It would be really nice to see some media management tools. It seems we're always stuck working with footage the way it was captured. IE- If the user captures 1 60 min clip or many short clips. It would be really powerful if we could "chop" the actual video files themselves if desired. Breaking the 60 min clip up into a bunch of separate vidoe files on our hard drive.

And for that matter I'd like to see a lot of other editing functions to do the same as well. For example, I frequently find a clip where I captured more than I need and would like to ditch 10-15 seconds at the end of the clip. How nice would it be if we could actually "Trim" the video file itself. Removing undesired extra footage on either end of the video clip itself. Something like that would be a huge hard-drive saver. For example: when working with footage that has Takes and markers (clappers). Frequently when chopping I don't quite chop soon enough and I get a piece of the second take on the end of my first. It would be awesome if I could go back in and trim that extra off so the clip only has the one take and none of the other.

Another feature I've wished for is to seam two clips together and then reposition where the one ends and the other begins. For example back to the "takes" example. Say I chopped it wrong while capturing and Take 1 has its marker (clapboard) and at end has take 2's clapper as well. That leaves my take 2 clip with no marker at the beginning. It would be cool if I could grab those two clips, put them on the timeline, hit "G" to make then full. Butt them up against each other. Lay down a marker and render out two clips with the same names but with the cut between repositioned. Again speaking about modifying the actual source video files not the video on the timeline.

Anyway, I've all for some features like this. It would really make speed edit powerful.

That and Batch Capture of course. When you're working on lots of projects. There is nothing quite like being able to wipe a project off your harddrive to make space and then return to it later by running a batch capture on the original tapes. Makes it so that as long as you keep the tapes in a safe storage and a backup of the batch capture and project files you can return to an edit months later with minimal re-capture effort.

kleima
06-17-2007, 09:51 PM
I agree, Paul.

Paul Brunson
06-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Oops, sorry about the double post guys. Don't know how I did that one.

Just a question, does anyone know of existing software that already does some of the above mentioned? It would be really great to just capture a whole tape of footage as one clip then break it up later with precision.

As great as chop is often I'm not as fast on the chop button as I'd like. And then I end up rewinding to re-capture some of the material accurately.

Thanks

gerenm
06-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Several capture applications have automatic scene detection, and can be set to either create separate files for each scene, or a "marked" file (though usually, the marked file can only be used within the original application). Applications I've used it in include Premiere at the mid/high end and Pinnacle Studio 10 at the low end. It actually works pretty well in Studio 10. I believe that the free WinAVI capture program can also do it, though I've not been able to get it to see my capture device properly to test it.

Paul Brunson
07-18-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm hoping to find a tool somewhere that allows the user to break up the actual video file AFTER they have captured it.

Meaning I'd like to capture the whole tape and then go back in later and chop up the video file itself into separate segments.

The more I think about it I'm absolutely amazed that I can't find any video application that allows you to do this. It would change how I capture entirely.

Imagine if you could just set the applicaton to capture a whole one hour tape. Then put it on a time line. Chop it up, remove the sections you don't want. Rename each chop section and then have it save out the individual clips, ideally without recompression. This would be amazing.

Even more amazing would if you could then generate from the chops you've made a batch capture file so that if desired you could recapture from the tape but this time only what you need.

The key is being able to use the power and precision of a timeline to define what you actually want off the tape. It would be awesome.

ScorpioProd
07-18-2007, 12:54 PM
It would definately be cool, it's just with more and more formats being LongGOP formats, I doubt it will happen.

One of the things similar to it in the past was the "cutting room" feature of Newtek's Vidget, that did exactly that with RTV clips.

billmi
07-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Imagine if you could just set the applicaton to capture a whole one hour tape. Then put it on a time line. Chop it up, remove the sections you don't want. Rename each chop section and then have it save out the individual clips, ideally without recompression. This would be amazing.

Even more amazing would if you could then generate from the chops you've made a batch capture file so that if desired you could recapture from the tape but this time only what you need.

Why recapture? If you could break up the clips, and throw away what you don't need, what would you gain from capturing again, if you already have the clips?

The key is being able to use the power and precision of a timeline to define what you actually want off the tape. It would be awesome.

Yes. I've pretty much quit batch capture altogether. I either capture with auto-chop if it's fitting, or capture the whole tape, razor cut it in the timeline, then drag all those clips off to a folder, and use them to edit with. The downside vs. what you describe above is that the one contiguous clip on the hard drive takes more space than if it was physically split apart and the junk thrown away, but drives are big these days, and it edits the same.

Paul Brunson
07-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Why recapture? If you could break up the clips, and throw away what you don't need, what would you gain from capturing again, if you already have the clips?

The only reason to be able to save out a batch capture and be able to recapture it later is if you're working on a really massive project or a lot of projects where space is a premium. Being able to save the batch capture file allows you to delete the files and re-grab the exact same video file off the tape when its needed again.

razor cut it in the timeline, then drag all those clips off to a folder, and use them to edit with. The downside vs. what you describe above is that the one contiguous clip on the hard drive takes more space than if it was physically split apart and the junk thrown away, but drives are big these days, and it edits the same.

Billmi you are awesome! I had no clue you can do that and it would have only been by sheer accident that I would have discovered you could. I'll definetly will be using that feature going forward. Thanks!

Granted like you said you can save space and its a little more convenient at times if you can actually save those out as separate files. Easier archiving etc.
But all Newtek needs to do is make it so when you drag razored clips off the timeline to a folder it asks if you want to create actual new files or create VTD files as it does now. That would be awesome and seems to me very easy to implement.

However, for anyone out there following this thread I have found a semi-decent tool that will split files! "AVS Video ReMaker", it comes with a suite of tools from AVS Media for 40 bucks. Its a little on the simple side but it splits the video file without recompressing. It doesn't mess up the time code in the file when it chops. It will remove unwanted sections and seam the video together as one file or export separate files.

The way you select what you want to keep / delete works fairly well. You drag out a selection of what you want to remove. Dragging with the mouse can be difficult to be precise, especially on a large clip. Also in the case where you truly want ALL the material and just want to chop the video in two. Because you have to select an area, to perform a "chop" you have to zoom in as far as you can on the timeline and select the minimum size it will let you.

But hey this works pretty well for me, I can use Speed Edit's auto chop to break up most of the tape how I want. And then go back and break up those pesky files where the camera was left rolling longer than wanted etc. (Granted sometimes I'm just going to use Billmi's trick :))

So I'm glad to have a solution for now but this being a feature request thread:

NEWTEK, I can't tell you how awesome it would be, I think for many of us, if we could chop something up on the timeline, drag it to a folder and then have the choice wether to create a VTD file, or actually create new video files. (And maybe the choice to remove from the original video file what is being broken out to new video files.

All I can say is if a simple little 40 dollar video tools suite has a tool that can do it. I can't imagine it being very difficult for the company that founded desktop video to do it! Maybe even find a way to deal with these new "Long GOP" formats Eugene mentioned ;).

billmi
07-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Being able to save the batch capture file allows you to delete the files and re-grab the exact same video file off the tape when its needed again.

Gotcha, the way it was worded, I thought you meant you wanted to capture, make a batch capture list, and then recapure immediately - not for later recapture.

As a note in the regard, as long as you're capturing a format that properly feeds its timecode to speed edit through the firewire, you can recapture with auto-chop, or as a full run, and the instance files will still work with it, so long as the file names and paths are the same.

Billmi you are awesome!

Not really. People just see me with my wife and think that since she spends time with me I must be awesome.

I had no clue you can do that and it would have only been by sheer accident that I would have discovered you could. I'll definetly will be using that feature going forward. Thanks!

It really makes things easy. I was disappointed to see batch capture not in Speed Edit, but no big deal because I still have it in VT[4]. However, once I started cutting instance files, or autochopping and sub-projecting shots I wanted to deal with as a single clip, I haven't been using batch capture anymore.

regalenter
07-24-2007, 06:01 PM
An automatic scene detection that creates a new file everytime there's a change in the date/time stamp would do it. Corel's Media Studio Pro does it.

ScorpioProd
07-24-2007, 09:29 PM
An automatic scene detection that creates a new file everytime there's a change in the date/time stamp would do it. Corel's Media Studio Pro does it.
SpeedEDIT has this.