PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

Beau_M
05-21-2007, 02:20 AM
I've hit a bit of a catch 22 and can't think of how to work around it. I don't have enough ram to render the scene I'm working on in one pass (rendering at 7400 x 4800), so I turned the segment memory down to 16. Everything was working fine until I recieved an error from X-DOF stating that it must be rendered in a single segment.

The only thing I can think of is to buy more ram. Just wondering if there is any other way of getting around this first.

Red_Oddity
05-21-2007, 02:36 AM
Well, a temporary fix could be to increase your virtual memory limit, slow as hell, but it might work.

Beau_M
05-21-2007, 03:09 AM
Ahh forgot all about virtual memory! Doesn't really matter if it's slow, going to NZ for a week next month, I'll just render it then. Had a bit of a fiddle with the scene and it seems sasquatch was causing a large part of the memory use.

Silkrooster
05-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Just a small reminder. Render as a sequence, then if the power goes out while you are gone, you don't have to start from scratch.
Silk

toby
05-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Hopefully he's not rendering a sequence at 7400 x 4800!!

Another option, especially since it's a still, I'm assuming, is to render separate passes and composite them together in Photoshop. This would however require doing your dof in post instead of using x-dof - but it would allow you more control, and re-rendering of one element, like sasquatch, wouldn't require re-rendering everything.

Is there still a way to adjust VM in OSX? I thought that was gone.

Silkrooster
05-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Ah yes your probably right, I was assuming as usual. Since he mentioned taking a week to let it render. It didn't sink in that maybe only 1 or 2 days out of that week may be needed. Oh well.
Silk