PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Ram Setup - Need Help!!!

KillMe
05-20-2007, 05:37 PM
ok i am trying to set up a system of rams to raise the undercarriage of a space ship

now i modeled the rams in position intending to use mulitple pivot points and then targeting the 2 sections of the ram to each other and then even moving the main undercariiage the ram would slide in and out

but when i try and target that different parts of the ram to each other - they rotate around and are no longer point at each other =/

now i could get around this by making all the bits indivually then polacing them in the scene where they are supposed to go - but this seems like alot of work for this!!

is there some way tell that its setup already and jsut to work????

SplineGod
05-20-2007, 08:50 PM
You need to make sure the parts you wish to apply targetting to are pointing down the z axis. You can also use IK.

serge
05-21-2007, 04:15 AM
Steve Cullum just recently posted a tutorial which might be of help. Check out the thread:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68286

The tutorial is here:
http://www.cullumgraphics.com/Tutorials.html

KillMe
05-21-2007, 04:22 AM
hmmmmm that seems abit complex for what should really be a simple thing - probally am going to have jsut model the relevant parts pointing down the z axis dispite my overwhelming instinct to model them in place

just o be 100% sure though there is no way to chance the pivot rotation inside modeler?

stevecullum
05-21-2007, 07:10 AM
It is quite involved, but its worth the effort for a nice clean result. Rather than using targeting (which always gave me grief), I found using IK and goals gave much more flexibilty for modeling in place.

stevecullum
05-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Feel free to rip me rig apart to see how it works...

KillMe
05-21-2007, 07:37 AM
your system certainly works very well and from the looks of it is better suited to anything that is on an angle rather than stright down the z-axis - but i jsut went ahead and modeled the pieces down the -z-axis for this model actaully less annoying than i thought it might be - infact kinda made it easier since you can adjust the legths of the rams very easily =)

i'll keep a copy of your scene and tutorial thought as i have another potential use for it

as for using ik =/ never really liked having to place nulls etc etc etc so never really mastered its use =/