PDA

View Full Version : Lens flair goes away

Lew
05-18-2007, 09:11 AM
I have 3D logo rendered as an AVI in lightwave. At the end, a lens flair give it the little star sparkle. I built it key over other footage. Everything looks fine until I push the overlay button, then the lens flair goes away. Still see it reflected on the logo, but no flair. Tried it as a TGA seguence, same deal.
Any ideas?
Haven't used a lens flair for years, but now I want one and can't get it - help!

bbeanan
05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
humm the only thing I can think of (and I have never used Lightwave so this is a 100% guess) is the alpha settings on the flare are to great. Did you try overlaying the logo on a plain black frame and not video?

Lew
05-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Good thought, I tried that, still no flair.
Any other ideas.
Lew

SBowie
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I built it key over other footage. Everything looks fine until I push the overlay button, then the lens flair goes away.Try adding the Flare2Alpha plugin to the Image Filter list in the Processing tab in LW (I'm looking at ver. 8.5 here, hopefully still in the same place in your version.)

JReble
05-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Hopefully that works for you, but I have to admit that I always loose some definition in the alpha channels with my particle renders from LW and other apps. They transfer great but as RTVs with alpha they don't key the graduated edges well at all. A decent portion is clipped off. Using tga stills gives better edges and graduations, but still not perfect.

SBowie
05-18-2007, 01:12 PM
They transfer great but as RTVs with alpha they don't key the graduated edges well at all. A decent portion is clipped off. Using tga stills gives better edges and graduations, but still not perfect.In this case, you may need to enable "Fader Alpha."

Lew
05-23-2007, 06:59 AM
So, I'm a little dense today. I see the Flair2Alpha plug, and I can put it in Imaage Editor, but I don't see how to make that apply to the output (the render) of my images (or AVI).

What am I missing? Using 9.2 by the way.

Can't find any place in the render globals to apply a filter to the output.
So please help for the handicapted.

SBowie
05-23-2007, 08:30 AM
This is where I found it:

Lew
05-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks Steve, that's very helpful.
Lew

creach
05-29-2007, 12:27 PM
...Using tga stills gives better edges and graduations, but still not perfect.

For broadcast, I always output stuff with alpha as a stream of *.tgas.

My 2
Dan

Lew
06-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Hey Dan, I usually do both a AVI and series of TGA's. but without the Flair2Alpha plug, you got the same problem done two different ways.
Lew
P.S. Thanks Steve, worked like a champ!

SBowie
06-01-2007, 01:43 PM
P.S. Thanks Steve, worked like a champ!Glad to help - I know lense flares are a bit 'gauche', but when I do use them I always wish they would 'pop' just a bit more. Can't seem to force that nohow ...

Lew
06-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Hi Steve,
Got mine to "pop" fairly well. Went from 0 to 500% in three frames, died back to 200 over two more frames, then smoth curve to 0 over next 10 frames. Looked like I wanted it to after I played with it for awhile.
Lew

SBowie
06-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Went from 0 to 500% in three frames ...Aah, maybe that's it - I don't spend much time in LW, and I'd forgotten that lots of fields will accept values well over 100%.