PDA

View Full Version : Depth of Field

freddy9977
05-18-2007, 08:20 AM
I built a fairly large city scene, lots of buildings, houses and trees. around 2,000 total objects. I'm trying to get a shallow depth of field in my renders but the problem I am having is, When I built the scene I increased the size of everything. So lets say I position the camera across the street looking at a house, normally that distance would be around 150 or 200 feet. But since I increased the size of everything, the distance is 4 or 5 miles. So it's impossible for me to get the focal distance correct. Is there an easy way to fix this problem?

Thanks

Scazzino
05-18-2007, 08:29 AM
If you want to keep everything at the current scale you can adjust the fStop to extreme values to give you the effect you're looking for. Smaller numbers will give you more DOF blur, higher values give less DOF blur. You can go beyond real camera values if you need to...

Or you could scale the whole scene down by parenting everything to a null and then scaling the null down... then with parent in place on, unparent the camera from the null...

freddy9977
05-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I watched your award winning short film. I really enjoyed it. Super quality.

Is there a way I can parents all the objects to the null, easily? Or do I have to add each 1 individually?

Thanks

BeeVee
05-18-2007, 08:56 AM
There is a tutorial on the subject of setting up depth of field in Layout so you can see it and adjust it in real time here, rather than going by maths: LightWiki (http://www.lightwiki.com/Interactive_Depth_of_Field)

B

freddy9977
05-18-2007, 10:06 AM
BeeVee. I read the tutorial you mentioned, thats awesome. Thank you. I tried it with my scene, but it's not working properly, and I think it's because I am working with such huge distances. I've got a car in the foreground (want it to be blurry) and a building across the street (want it to be sharp) but the problem is, the distances between the those objects that lightwave perceives. In real life it should only be 100 feet or so, but the program see's it as miles and miles. I've had this problem before and I just resized everything to the proper size, but that scene only had 2 or 3 objects, this scene has 1,000's of objects, and I'm curious if there is a way to parent those 1,000's of objects to a null with a few simple clicks?

Thanks

Extent
05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Multiselect your objects in the scene editor and drag-n-drop them onto the object you want to parent them to.

Dave Jerrard
05-25-2007, 06:25 AM
How much larger is the scene than normal scale? Multiply your camera's Frame height by that same factor and you should be fine; f-stops should work as expected.

He Who Tries To Avoid Those Nasty, Less-Than-One f-Stops.