PDA

View Full Version : Sequential Morph States?

Archigram
05-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I want to sequence a large number of morph states for an object so that I can control its progressive change precisely in Layout. When you define a new morph, it reverts to the base and I would have to retrace my morph steps all the way from the base for each further step (some objects will have 25 steps, so this will be really annopying). Is there a way to use the morph module in Modeler sequentially? A plug-in? Am I missing some obvious switch somewhere. Thanks for advice.

Elmar Moelzer
05-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Use the Copy Vertex Map command to create a copy of your last step and then continue from there.
Hope that helps
CU
Elmar

SplineGod
05-17-2007, 11:20 PM
You can also create 25 discreet objects and use MTSE morphs (multi target single envelope). You use a single function curve to morph from one to the next.

TripD
05-18-2007, 12:00 AM
You can also create 25 discreet objects and use MTSE morphs (multi target single envelope). You use a single function curve to morph from one to the next.

Is that new?

I remember spending a couple of days trying to unroll a spiral. Never got it right either. Ughhh.....the horror......the horror.

SplineGod
05-18-2007, 12:37 AM
No, its been in LW for years. :)
Depending on the spiral you could use bones to do that.

Archigram
05-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Many thanks for the responses. I will try copy vertex and MTSE and see which works better with my work flow. I knew there wasd a better way.

Archigram
05-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Results:

The MTSE option is better for large numbers of morphs it seems. Thanks again to Spline God and Elmar Moelzer for taking the time to point me in the right direction. (I got excellent further help from this old tutorial:http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/flocking_birds/index.html) Chaining multiple objects into a single curve can be done in the scene editor properties panel fairly quickly (all but the base object must then be dissolved 100%), and then you have one morph curve to manage rather than 25.

Surrealist.
05-18-2007, 12:18 PM
I was going to suggest that tut. :)

TripD
05-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the reply Larry. Back when I was attempting My spiral unroll, it was partially just an exercise to better understand how the morphs work. Heh, at some point I will probably try it again the hard way until I finally see it clearly.

ciao

Elmar Moelzer
05-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I have a tutorial for unrolling a roll of parchment on the NewTek Tutorial page.
Thinking about it, I meanwhile got a better way to do the UV-mapping, but otherwise the tutorial is still working rather well for this purpose.
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/unroll/index.html
Actually, reading through it again, I think I could write this much better these days. So maybe I am going to rewrite it.
Still, it works fine the way it is now and definitely better than with morphs...
CU
Elmar