PDA

View Full Version : Both MAC+PC versions come with LW, why not with plugins?

archijam
05-17-2007, 11:33 AM
As someone who recently made the jump to Intel MAC, I am finding some unforseen problems, quite apart from any stability or performance issues I might ahve expected.

The installation of bootcamp, as well as the fact that I can run PC and MAC versions of LW on the one dongle, is a huge plus (I mean, technically, its even only installed on one machine ;) ...) The other apps I use alongside at different stages of workflow mean that switching OS is the best choice.

So far so good. However, the big hiccups came when I realised that the plugins that served so well on the PC would have to be re purchased, or simply did not yet exist.

Given that LW has come to package for both platforms, maybe the plugin producers could start to follow suit? I don't mean getting the other os for free, or if you don't need it.

If needed, however, it could be purchased as an addition, on the same serial, for a discount ... ?

It seems extreme to have to buy the same plugin twice for the same machine .

But maybe its just me :)

J.

Phil
05-17-2007, 11:58 AM
It's nowhere near that simple. For free plugins, you're at the mercy of whether the developer has the hardware/ability/enthusiasm to migrate their works. DPont's nodes for example would be really great to have on Mac. Sadly, he doesn't appear to have the hardware to make this happen (and given that he's doing all of them for free, he's doing a great job of the ones he has produced).

LScripts are in a happier place, but are not suited to computational intensively work simply because they are damn slow. They also don't have parity with the SDK-based plugins. In this situation, free plugins are generally workable on both platforms.

For commercial plugins, they tend to be dongle locked. This causes a problem because the dongle (or some versions of it) report a different ID under Windows compared to OS X. From a developer standpoint, do you now have 2 dongles or 1? How do they know? Some developers are charitable (Worley, db&w, Can Tarcan, etc.) and will just take this on trust. Others, well, won't.

For compiled plugins, it's even more awkward. The old Mac version of LW (pre-UB) relied on an obsolete development environment that couldn't be obtained by new developers. The new UB version isn't yet stable or released, so developers are understandably reluctant to migrate their wares just yet.

In all cases of compiled plugins, it's generally not a simple recompile job. It takes time, which comes from an investment of time and money. Depending on what you expect to sell (commercial) or how much you can afford to invest (free), the answer should then be obvious.....

archijam
05-17-2007, 12:15 PM
The title was a little .. inflamatory ..

I can't comment on the dongle or serials, since thats not my area.

I agree with the difficulties, and delays, with outputting for mac. For some things we will just have to wait.

As far as costs go, I can't see anyone paying 2 times the fee for Fprime to run on 2 different systems (let alone for one mobile system, as in my case), wheras a discounted rate for the second would at least mean a chance for impulse purchase..

Theoretically, the cost of the basic LW package should make it easier for the plugin developers .. as opposed to the PS3, but like the Wii, you can actually buy the platform, PLUS a few games .. :)

I should say, previously my firm provided the plugins, I have the dilemma now of which platform to buy the plugin for...

I miss HD instance : )

J.

lots
05-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Well cost of the package has nothing to do with how easy it is to develop for...

BeeVee
05-18-2007, 06:54 AM
...and both the examples you cite offer both versions for a purchaser in my experience. You need to ask is all...

B

archijam
05-18-2007, 07:19 AM
Cheers ..

Where did I leave that Happy Digital bookmark ... ?

j.

Exception
05-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Where's my cheese slicer?!

Elmar Moelzer
05-18-2007, 07:04 PM
Wished we could offer a Mac version. If we had one, we would offer it as a duolicense with the PC version (just like NT does with LW). However, we dont have the hardware and the testing setups, etc yet (they need to be financed first). Once we have them, we will start working on the Mac- port.
CU
Elmar

DarkLight
05-19-2007, 11:31 AM
I think more plugins will become available on the mac when the UB version of LightWave is released. I've been working as a software developer for many years and I've used many development systems. Codewarrior is one of my least favourite. Getting plugins to compile was hard enough to do, debugging them was even harder.

archijam
05-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks - my respect for the developers and coders out there should have been included in the first message .. you guys keep the scene alive.

I wonder how many people there are still juggling LW between both porgrams .. any LW stats on that?

I can imagine a time on the next project I'll be working on, where I would best model in OSX and render in XP .. just because of the other programs I run at different stages ..

Tom, forget the cheese slicer. I think I dropped it in some kanal near Vlaardingen. In a kitten.

j.