PDA

View Full Version : For all who still mourne over Serenity...

Sarford
05-17-2007, 07:59 AM
I just read this article on VFXWorld about Sanctuary.

http://vfxworld.com/?sa=adv&code=57c5ed8a&atype=articles&id=3283

The VFX house Stage 3 Media is producing their own SF show and publish it exclusevly on the internet. In High Defenition!!

You can buy the seperate episodes online and they are relativly cheap too.
So no more network bosses who decide the advertising income on the show isn't as expected and discontinue's the show.

As long as the fan's buy the episodes, they keep producing it. I myself already bought the first four episodes. Production standards of this show are pretty high, looks fabulous!

I think this is a realy nice way to 'chalenge' the power and might of the networks. We might see more of these initiatives comming years.

go look here: http://www.sanctuaryforall.com/

Sarford
05-17-2007, 08:54 AM
Well, this is certenly not your thing Neverko, that much is obvious :D

The link with Serenity was more like
a: this is also SF (although I admid a different genre)
b: this can't be cancelled by a network

And I beg to differ with you on the 'low budget fx vampire/werewolf cheeze-show' part of your argument. To me it seems like pretty high standard, definitly not a low budget indie kind of amatuer flic.
But I watched the broadcast quality webisode on full screen so that may look differend. I also haven't watched television in more than ten years so maybe you are right and is this how low-budget tv fx's looks these days. ;)

ps: ehhh... I guess I mixed up Firefly with Serenity. Serenity was the movie version of Firefly... right?

mattclary
05-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Firefly had classy actors, this looks worse than Buffy.

I find this statement very ironic since Firefly and Buffy had all the same writers, directors, etc.. behind them.

You may have not cared for the premise of Buffy, but the acting and writing were pretty good. I'll put Sarah Michelle Gellar's acting ability up against ANY other actor or actress.

danielkaiser
05-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Well, this is certenly not your thing Neverko, that much is obvious :D

The link with Serenity was more like
a: this is also SF (although I admid a different genre)
b: this can't be cancelled by a network

And I beg to differ with you on the 'low budget fx vampire/werewolf cheeze-show' part of your argument. To me it seems like pretty high standard, definitly not a low budget indie kind of amatuer flic.
But I watched the broadcast quality webisode on full screen so that may look differend. I also haven't watched television in more than ten years so maybe you are right and is this how low-budget tv fx's looks these days. ;)

ps: ehhh... I guess I mixed up Firefly with Serenity. Serenity was the movie version of Firefly... right?

From Merriam Webster's online dictionary.

science fiction
One entry found for science fiction.
Main Entry: science fiction
Function: noun
: fiction dealing principally with the impact of actual or imagined science on society or individuals or having a scientific factor as an essential orienting component.

If you use this definition, Starwars is not SF but 2001 is, Buffy is not SF but CSI is, The rocky horror Picture Show is not SF but "Singing in the Rain" is ("Singing in the Rain" is a fictional story about the technology of audio in film and it's effects on the industry and the people involved).

Get your genres' straight.:cursin:

mattclary
05-17-2007, 09:28 AM
From Merriam Webster's online dictionary.

science fiction
One entry found for science fiction.
Main Entry: science fiction
Function: noun
: fiction dealing principally with the impact of actual or imagined science on society or individuals or having a scientific factor as an essential orienting component.

If you use this definition, Starwars is not SF but 2001 is, Buffy is not SF but CSI is, The rocky horror Picture Show is not SF but "Singing in the Rain" is ("Singing in the Rain" is a fictional story about the technology of audio in film and it's effects on the industry and the people involved).

I see your point, but depending on the premise of the show, this might be sci-fi. It used to be vampires and werewolves were very much rooted in religous beliefs. As time has gone on and religion plays less of a role in society and peoples lives, vampires and werewolves are often portrayed as infected with a type of disease.

Disease=medicine=science.

mattclary
05-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Personally, and I hate to say this, I think this will be a miserable failure. I don't think it will attract enough viewers to stay in production. It will cost you $7 to purchase about an hour of content. The equivalent of one season (of regular TV) will cost around $100.

Sarford
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM

This is a quote from the VFXworld website:

The Future is Now for Sanctuary
Tara DiLullo Bennett gets the scoop on Sanctuary, which marks a new media experiment for sci-fi shot in HD and made with XSI and ZBrush.
By Tara DiLullo Bennett

If you had read the article you could have seen it yourself. So don't shoot the mesenger.

@ mattclary: You may be right, you may be wrong, but I for one think that these kind of initiatives should be supported. These guys take an enormous risk (financialy too I guess) and try to change things, create new ways of providing content etc. And not half hartly either if I may say.
Call me naive but I get very optimistic from this, go guys!

mattclary
05-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Where did I say writers or directors? I know Joss Whedon made both shows, but he's not acting in them, is he?

And our oppinions of Mrs. Gellar clearly differs :)

You were more impressed with Nathan Fillion's rendition of "Southern Priest" in the last season of Buffy? :devil:

Dexter2999
05-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Nathan Fillion was in Buffy

Gina Tores and Adam Baldwin both appeared in Angel.

Joss likes 'em, and with good reason. They are good.

Elmar Moelzer
05-19-2007, 04:20 PM
Nathan Fillion was great as Caleb :)
I dont like Sarah M. Gellar much, but most of the other actors on that show were pretty good (for TV). Antony Steward Head (spelling?) was pretty good as a Giles, I thought.
CU
Elmar

Bog
05-20-2007, 08:11 PM
I kinda got cheesed at Buffy when it took over SFX magazine. I mean, it was fun and all (the few eps I watched), but Sci Fi it very certainly wasn't.

Anyway, good luck to them. I wish them many fat children.

starbase1
05-22-2007, 07:52 AM
I finally got to see some firefly/serenity recently, and have never been so disappointed after hearing of it's rep...

There may be the occasional space bit, but it's clearly a cowboy show with a few rockets and a bit of technobabble bolted on. Right down to (in one I saw) leather space suits?!?! Even starts the show with a stampede...

And why do they dress like the Waltons?!?!

Well, apart from the bar girl character, (or whatever technobabble they put around the role), the one who swans round grubby technology in evening dress.

Nick

kilvano
05-22-2007, 08:00 AM
That sanctuary thing looks ok. Its got Amanda Tapping in it so cant be all bad.

I finally got to see some firefly/serenity recently, and have never been so disappointed after hearing of it's rep...

There may be the occasional space bit, but it's clearly a cowboy show with a few rockets and a bit of technobabble bolted on. Right down to (in one I saw) leather space suits?!?! Even starts the show with a stampede...

And why do they dress like the Waltons?!?!

Well, apart from the bar girl character, (or whatever technobabble they put around the role), the one who swans round grubby technology in evening dress.

Nick

Keep watching.....it gets soooooo goood. First time i watched i thought it was crap too. Now ive seen every episode and the film about 5 times each.

starbase1
05-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Keep watching.....it gets soooooo goood. First time i watched i thought it was crap too. Now ive seen every episode and the film about 5 times each.

Really? Maybe I'll keep an eye out then.

Personally I have not really been grabbed by any scifi since B5 ended... (My, but that was good - took me a few episodes to get into that as well...)

Nick

mattclary
05-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Really? Maybe I'll keep an eye out then.

Personally I have not really been grabbed by any scifi since B5 ended... (My, but that was good - took me a few episodes to get into that as well...)

Nick

Yeah, you should really watch it all. You know you REALLY shouldn't judge a show based on how the characters dress, right? ;) It is kind of important to pay attention to the story and character development. ;) The reason things look the way they do actually have some very good reasons behind them, as you watch, you will understand. It's actually one of the most realistic takes on how things could turn out, IMO.

I just finished watching the series on DVD, never saw the whole thing before. I highly recommend watching the extras at the end also. The bond the cast feels is really amazing and very moving. Made me very sad that the show is no more, for their sakes.

danielkaiser
05-22-2007, 09:33 AM
It's actually one of the most realistic takes on how things could turn out, IMO.

Especially if George Bush gets his way and turns every on else on this planet into red neck cowboys with poor language skills.

I was very disappointed at it's cancellation, took me about 8 ep's to get into it, then bam it's off the air.

BTW Universal HD plays Fire Fly, Atlantis and BSG in High Def, Oooh, pretty colors, pretty colors.

mattclary
05-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Especially if George Bush gets his way and turns every on else on this planet into red neck cowboys with poor language skills.

Well, in 18 months or so, you can blame someone else for the decline of western civilization.

hrgiger
05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Can I get these on DVD? Cuz I may just rent them through Netflix. People talk about it all the time, I want to see what the fuss is about.

colkai
05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Yup, they are out there on DVD. :)
http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Ron-Glass/dp/B0000AQS0F/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-1778927-6309453?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1179858788&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Serenity-Widescreen-Morena-Baccarin/dp/B000BW7QWW/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-1778927-6309453?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1179858788&sr=8-2

I'm about to place my order for Vol 2 of the companion book too. :)

Browncoat N proud of it. :D

hrgiger
05-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Okay, I just tagged firefly the 4 disc series on Netflix. So, I should get Serenity too?

Twisted_Pixel
05-22-2007, 01:11 PM
I love the series and film too. Though admittedly I saw the film first, loved the characters and wanted to see more.

Starbase1 I loved B5 too, and I place Firefly up at the top ranks with it. Stick with it and let us know what you think at the end.

mattclary
05-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Okay, I just tagged firefly the 4 disc series on Netflix. So, I should get Serenity too?

Yes, you will want Serenity too. Watch it right after you finish the series.

starbase1
05-22-2007, 03:56 PM
I love the series and film too. Though admittedly I saw the film first, loved the characters and wanted to see more.

Starbase1 I loved B5 too, and I place Firefly up at the top ranks with it. Stick with it and let us know what you think at the end.

OK, I just might do that... I did think the production values and acting were a notch or two above average...

kopperdrake
05-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Good going Starbase :) I sat down with a borrowed box set of Firefly and the missus, watched the first one and thought "S'alright I s'pose'.

That weekend we watched the entire box set and grieved in the knowledge that the show had been cancelled. The depth the story and characters has only dawns after a few episodes, in much the same way that a good book only really grips you after a few pages.

As for Babylon 5 - why else would I be here having picked up LW3.5 ;)

kopperdrake
05-24-2007, 02:54 AM
I figured I'd support these guys, I thought the trailer looked promising but, moreso, I really do like the idea of a user-funded distribution system.

However, when I go to pay it somehow knows that I'm in the UK (nothing on the registration page indicated that I'm UK-based) and accordingly charges me dollar for pound, so it's 7 for me for one hour, or $14 equivalent. I can see a movie cheaper than that. Heck, I can buy the Firefly box set for 13, brand new off Amazon.

That I can't justify :( They need to sort their online distribution system out for us off-worlders.

colkai
05-24-2007, 02:55 AM
Watched Serenity last night with Joss' commentary turned on - highly informative and very funny as usual. :)

Sarford
05-24-2007, 05:05 AM
I figured I'd support these guys, I thought the trailer looked promising but, moreso, I really do like the idea of a user-funded distribution system.

Same here!

However, when I go to pay it somehow knows that I'm in the UK (nothing on the registration page indicated that I'm UK-based) and accordingly charges me dollar for pound, so it's 7 for me for one hour, or $14 equivalent. I can see a movie cheaper than that. Heck, I can buy the Firefly box set for 13, brand new off Amazon.

That I can't justify :( They need to sort their online distribution system out for us off-worlders.

Thats strange, it didn't do that with me. Did you use the paypall option?
Are you sure this isn't a UK based tax scheme?

starbase1
05-24-2007, 06:36 AM
As for Babylon 5 - why else would I be here having picked up LW3.5 ;)

Well, it was v5.6 for me!

kopperdrake
05-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Thats strange, it didn't do that with me. Did you use the paypall option?
Are you sure this isn't a UK based tax scheme?

I'm not sure how it can be a UK thing - when you go through to their paying page, you get the option of using a card on the left and the 'Pay with PayPal' option on the right, with the amount underneath. It's in pounds :(

Well, it was v5.6 for me!

Ah - did you wait for the PC version to come out? I look at the old 3.5 interface now and realise why it was so easy to get into! I mean, my microwave has more buttons than that old interface!

Elmar Moelzer
05-25-2007, 02:16 PM
I loved the trainjob and the follow up episode of Firefly the most. This Mishka (or whatever his name is pronounced)- character is evil and kinda funny at the same time.
"Dont mind Crook, he is mostly here to say Booo".
"You know what is reputation? Is people talking. Is gossip".
After reveailing the corpse of some poor soul that was tortured to death: "Now to you my reputation to you is not just gossip, is solid, is fact..."
"You dont like that I killed this man? My wifes nephew, he didnt finish job..."
"You finish the job, your reputation is solid, is fact. You dont finish the job, your reputation only gossip and our relation not so solid..."
Hillarious!
CU
Elmar

toby
05-26-2007, 07:16 PM
OK, I just might do that... I did think the production values and acting were a notch or two above average...
I was also put off by the cowboy theme, temporarily - it almost stopped me from renting it. But it's not at all like 'walker texas ranger' crap, sometimes you don't even see the cowboyness of it. It's not an eye-candy show either, if you were someone who only watched sci-fi for the laserblasts you might not like this. Think of it as great characters and stories, set it the future.

As you'd expect, the tv series is a notch down production value-wise from the feature, you can tell they didn't have a lot of money, but the show's good where it counts. But it's kind of a shame that you saw the feature first.