PDA

View Full Version : VT[2] Card with VT[4]

Kevin Brice
05-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Hi everybody,

KHS-TV is finally moving to VT[4] on a new machine! I'm still waiting for the new machine to arrive, but in the meantime I'm trying to plan out our migration strategy. We're still going to be using the VT[2] hardware with an SX-8. I noticed that Paul Lara mentioned in a thread a while ago (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39555) something about modifications to the original VT board. Our board dates back to the VT[2] beta test period and, to my knowledge, has not been modified at all since then. Am I going to need to get something done to our card? I want to be able to know what's coming before I take down the old system and screw myself. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

inquisitive
05-17-2007, 01:05 AM
I read that post you quote, perhaps the best thing would be to contact tech support so they can verify the potential modification of your card.

I currently use vt4.6 w/ a VT2 card, but mine is a retail card possibly manufactured sometime after the beta period. During the upgrade from vt2 to vt4 software I had to apply a core upgrade, and if i recall correctly in my case I needed a special core upgrade due to some issues I was having with my older supermicro motherboard.

Kevin Brice
05-17-2007, 06:28 AM
I read that post you quote, perhaps the best thing would be to contact tech support so they can verify the potential modification of your card.

I currently use vt4.6 w/ a VT2 card, but mine is a retail card possibly manufactured sometime after the beta period. During the upgrade from vt2 to vt4 software I had to apply a core upgrade, and if i recall correctly in my case I needed a special core upgrade due to some issues I was having with my older supermicro motherboard.

I thought the hardware was finalized when we joined the beta test (although I can't confirm... I wasn't a member of the studio when we got VT[2] and nobody seems to remember anything). If it wasn't and we somehow got stuck with different hardware, that kind of sucks. I sure hope not.

Before reading that post, it was my understanding that the same hardware from VT[2] worked with every subsequent VT release. Having to have the card physically modified kind of changes that. It's reassuring that all you had to do was a core update, but has anybody here needed to get their VT[2] card modified to work with VT[4.6]? If not, I think I'll just try to install the update at the end of the school year and see what happens. :)

Jim_C
05-17-2007, 07:47 AM
It's reassuring that all you had to do was a core update, but has anybody here needed to get their VT[2] card modified to work with VT[4.6]? If not, I think I'll just try to install the update at the end of the school year and see what happens. :)

Depending on how old the card is it may require a trip back to NT. At least one of our's did. Call support and give them the numbers off the card they ask for, they can tell you.

Otherwise the core updater will automatically tell you if it is needed or not.