PDA

View Full Version : Surface Baking Camera To Render A Sky Box

Mipmap
05-16-2007, 09:33 PM
I was trying to see if I could successfully render a sky box that included surrounding 3D models to be rendered into it.

What I did was take a Sky Box that I had made with Skytracer, so the sky had been prerendered. Then I loaded that sky into layout after making UVs for it and as a test threw in a random object and rendered with the Surface Baking camera to see what I got.

I got one giant picture that had the the UVs of the sky rendered correctly, but my random object wasn't there. Next I took the random object and just made it part of the skybox object, positioned how I wanted it and rendered that. The object showed up in the render, however it showed up with front and back views of it on two of the sides of the sky box in the render.

Is there a better way of doing this than with the Surface Baking camera? I want to be able to make a perfectly warped skybox image like Skytracer does, but I would like to have other 3D objects be rendered into the scene with it as well, warped just the same so I can have a sky box environment that is more than just the clouds.

jameswillmott
05-16-2007, 10:05 PM
The surface baking camera should render everything that can be seen, so that should include all objects and backgrounds. You might have to post some screenshots so we can see what you're doing.

Mipmap
05-22-2007, 11:12 AM
This is what my render output is. The tree I threw in there really quick into a basic scene with the skybox gets rendered on two skies.

My goal would be to render a sky first by itself with skytracer, and then load that box into a new scene and put objects like trees, buildings or whatever I want in it, do my lighting and stuff and then render out my sky texture again with this complete scene in it.

The UV was just a quick flattening to test if this worked or not.

Mipmap
05-27-2007, 02:41 PM
(Bump)

Is there no solution to this problem?

Pomfried
05-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi Mipmap :)

Did you try checking "Bake surroundings" in the surface baking camera properties? Then you don't need to make the entire scene one object to get reflections etc.
If I misunderstood you, I am sorry, just clarify and I will see if I can help you anyway.

Edit: Oh, I just took another look at your render and a question came to my mind: What direction are your polygons facing? Inside or outside the cube? Looks like they are facing inside, but for baking a skybox image it should be the other way round I guess, but with reflection set to 100% and diffuse to 0% or so...

Dodgy
05-27-2007, 03:03 PM
I've done this successfully. Care to share your scene to allow me to see what's wrong?

Mipmap
05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
This pic shows the camera settings I am using in my scene, which is just a Sky Tracer created sky box with the the LW palm tree in there.

My issue is that the tree in the test is all the way over by one side of the sky for testing purposes but it shows on the opposite side of the sky as well.

My hope was that I could have done things like put some grassy hills and trees inside the sky box in a scene and have that rendered\warped into the sky box the same as the is when Sky Tracer does it. Then I could have a complete sky box rather than the clouds only one that Sky Tracer does.

Dodgy
05-30-2007, 03:49 AM
Are you using a little box in the centre of the scene to project from?

Mipmap
06-05-2007, 01:10 AM
I think I have it figured out based off what you said. For some reason I was thinking that I needed to load my skybox which was really just part of my environment to be rendered and set that as the object. So what was happening was was using my skybox and it was projecting inward to my environment to render the UVs, so thats why the tree showed in multiple views.

I added in another UVed box in the center and set that as the Mesh instead and did another render and it worked. I tried again using a sphere and it worked as well. I was just messed up and a little backwards in my thinking when I tried it out.

Thanks, I seem to be on the right track now. It was funny seeing a Skybox cube mapped out accurately onto a sphere and still looking good. That tool seems to work pretty great after a first successful test.

Dodgy
06-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Cool :) Nice to hear you got it sorted :)