PDA

View Full Version : instant replay?

dbsnetwork
05-16-2007, 08:57 PM
To my knowledge, there is no way to integrate instant replays into a live event with the tricaster. does anyone have any info or suggestions on ways I can do that.

Previously I have recorded my output on vcr and quickly found what i wanted and brought it back in through a camera input. but you are stuck with whatever view you had to begin with, and it is kind of cheesy. I appreciate any help.

Also someone other than me wants an answer at 9:00 tomorrow morning before they decide to buy.

PIZAZZ
05-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Many people are using the BufTek Sports Replay device for doing just this. It is a very durable and reliable stand alone device that does play and record of 1 stream of video for $6495.

We have recently finished testing a custom box we developed to do both ISO recording of a camera without a tape deck and Instant Replay for that same input. We are using a highly modified version of SpeedEdit for the background engine. The system is housed in a 4U rackmount with a 7" touchscreen monitor to see/control the system. We also include a ShuttlePro for hands on control too.

Oh and the price is currently set at $2500. So for a little more than the cost of 1 BufTek you can get 3 of the PIZAZZ-ReplaySEs.

I will be posting a pic and complete details next Monday.

Mking
05-17-2007, 07:02 PM
as posted on some of the VT strands, the Panasonic Showstopper works fairly well (a Tivo type unit). We just got one and the initial tests proved it to be a very good solution for what we are doing--internet streaming of sports.

Tarheel Cougar
05-18-2007, 05:33 PM
We couldnt justify the cost of a Buf when we could almost get a VT4 or two flavors of the Tricaster for the same price. But I am very interested in your box Jef, especially if its very easy to learn and very stable (enough for high school kids to use). We're certainly looking for something that can simultaneously record/playback so we don't miss anything, smoothly change between speeds during playback with a jog or other external controller, have random access like the VT DDR's (for playing back commercials, packages, etc), and quickly save and recall highlights. If we got 2, would they play together at editing halftime highlights (I suppose through networking/shared storage?)

Oh yeah. Size and low power consumption would be nice. We would take it on the road in a very cramped truck and hopefully replace some DVCPRO and DVCAM decks.

I'm very intrigued by your solution, and it sounds like this may be the ticket. I'll certainly be watching this thread and awaiting some specs. The sooner the better, its almost budget time!

Jared Amos

Many people are using the BufTek Sports Replay device for doing just this. It is a very durable and reliable stand alone device that does play and record of 1 stream of video for $6495.

We have recently finished testing a custom box we developed to do both ISO recording of a camera without a tape deck and Instant Replay for that same input. We are using a highly modified version of SpeedEdit for the background engine. The system is housed in a 4U rackmount with a 7" touchscreen monitor to see/control the system. We also include a ShuttlePro for hands on control too.

Oh and the price is currently set at $2500. So for a little more than the cost of 1 BufTek you can get 3 of the PIZAZZ-ReplaySEs.

I will be posting a pic and complete details next Monday.

tiff1967
05-19-2007, 02:10 PM
I have been asking about Re-play for HS games for the two years we have had the tricaster.

I think you may have hit on a good spot Jeff.

Post soon

Thanks
Bob:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

carpeybiggs
05-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Why not use a TiVO? We've used them for 2 years without a hitch. Only cost us $50. Of course, they are limited to one speed, and don't have shuttle control, but other than that, they are great.

Tarheel Cougar
05-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Why not use a TiVO? We've used them for 2 years without a hitch. Only cost us $50. Of course, they are limited to one speed, and don't have shuttle control, but other than that, they are great.

We tried a TIVO long ago, but were unable to remove the on scren display at the bottom, and unable to do anything to set it up without subscribing and/or connecting to a cable/antenna signal so we returned it. The box would have to sit in our truck and be unplugged for extended periods of time, and having to go through a cumbersome setup process before each event just isn't appealing. They may have improved since then, but when I went to Best Buy to ask about buying one without a subscription, I got funny looks. We do have a DVD recorder with a hard drive, but its just not easy to use for this purpose and if you forget the remote, you're sunk. It ended up being better just to use tape decks, at least you can assemble some clips together later by writing down the timecode. Something like the VT/Tricaster's DDR would be great, but a second VT is not in the budget, and you can't record and splice clips directly to a DDR on the Tricaster like you can on the VT... yet. I'm very optimistic at the features this solution appears to be capable of.

carpeybiggs
05-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Yeah, your concerns used to be a problem, but TiVO boxes are fine now. Just use composite in, and there is no need for a subsciption. The key to getting the on screen display to disappear is to press "play" twice. That solves it.

It is certainly not ideal, but it has been very helpful for our ultra-low budget productions. Alot better than nothing... $50 ain't bad.:thumbsup:

Also, we have it set up permanently in a little gator case with a DVD recorder to record the production backup. Put a leash on the remote, and you won't lose it...

leproductions
05-24-2007, 09:11 PM
A vendor I deal with and where I bought my tricaster has it from a source that says...Young Monkey is creating a version of their instant replay for VT for Tricaster. Meaning it would be integrated as a plug in. The way it was explained to me was basically click one of the preview screens of a cam input and then click the replay to start capture and then click to end capture. Then playback at a certain speeds.

Of course this is all a rumor to me so I have no proof of all this.

Capt Paul

Tarheel Cougar
06-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Any updates?

The Youngmonkey plugin is out for VT, but there is no Tricaster demo yet. http://www.youngmonkey.ca/hands/Software/index.html

Crom
06-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Emailed them about this, if I remember correctly they said Newtek has release an update to the Tricaster before instant replay plugins can be added to Tricaster Pro. might want to email themm to verify this.

PIZAZZ
06-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Should have an update for you guys tomorrow or Thursday. We are in the middle of building a trailer out for a client that includes one of these Replay boxes. Sorry but paying client comes first right now and marketing a little later.
Thanks for the interest.

Tarheel Cougar
06-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Should have an update for you guys tomorrow or Thursday. We are in the middle of building a trailer out for a client that includes one of these Replay boxes. Sorry but paying client comes first right now and marketing a little later.
Thanks for the interest.

Jef I'll certainly be checking back. We're still interested and would like to get something before football season starts with plenty of time to train. Would also like to see some pics of the trailer build if you don't mind, and what kind of feedback they have on the replay box!

Thanks!

PIZAZZ
07-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Here are some basic specs of our latest PIZAZZ-Replay/Iso Units

Complete Turnkey system with
1 Terabyte of Storage space (more available if needed)

TouchScreen 7" monitor on either rackmount or portable box. We are still considering doing a bare bones style unit without the LCD but we designed the GUI for the 7" size monitor.

Inputs can be Composite, SVHS/y/c, or Component YUV.

Output is Composite, Y/C, or Component

I will get some more details posted later tonite on the funtionality side of things. Attached are some pics at least for you to drool over.

Tarheel Cougar
07-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the pics. Cant wait to see the specs! Would multiple units allow two angle replays or can that be done inside one box? Also, is the external remote control still part of this device?

And to try to help justify the cost, can it be used as a regular NLE as well?

This is cool, I'll certainly pass this along!

ncsu1
07-10-2007, 08:20 PM
drool

:D

Tarheel Cougar
07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Jef, I sent you an email with a few questions. Looks like one of those boxes would really meet our needs. We'd love to get our hands on one soon!

Thanks,

Jared Amos

dhomas
07-28-2007, 12:48 PM
We expect to have a release of our Instant Replay plugin for TriCaster and TriCaster Pro in the (near?) future... There is a minor issue we are working with NewTek on resolving. However, we expect a release for TriCaster Studio should be forthcoming.

supadave
10-26-2007, 10:00 AM
We expect to have a release of our Instant Replay plugin for TriCaster and TriCaster Pro in the (near?) future... There is a minor issue we are working with NewTek on resolving. However, we expect a release for TriCaster Studio should be forthcoming.

I see that the Tricaster Studio version is out.. any word on the old standard Tricaster.. We would love to start the B-ball season off with some replay ability. Thanks..

dhomas
10-26-2007, 10:17 AM
We are still trying to figure out a way to get Instant Replay working on the Standard and Pro TriCasters. We're working with NewTek and still hope to have a solution. The TriCaster Studio systems were updated, which is why we were able to release that version.

supadave
10-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Thank you very much for the update.. I appreciate the fast response. The B-ball season kicks off on Nov 28th in my area so I'll keep a lookout.

Thanks again..

gkenney
11-20-2007, 06:51 AM
I read that some of you use a Tivo for instant replay.
I want to use one for tape delay for a live broadcast call in show.
I have not been able to get one to work without a subscription even with using just the composite or s-video ports.
Am I doing something wrong or has Tivo changed the programing so that it now requires a subscription just to record and play back composite feeds?

Tarheel Cougar
11-20-2007, 06:57 AM
That's the problem I had with tivo -- the subscription and I also couldn't get the on screen display to disappear quickly enough. Since then I discovered a Toshiba DVD-recorder with a hard drive that solves all those problems -- it does time shifting, slo-mo (with the remote), some editing features, no subscription and you can completely remove the on screen display. (We also have a Panasonic DVD recorder with a hard drive but it doesn't work nearly as well). The model I have is out of production but I'm sure they have new ones with larger hard drives you could test out at Best Buy.