PDA

View Full Version : LW9.2 Stability

lede
05-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Not sure if its this version or not but for the past week I've been running 9.2 exlusivley and have not had one crash even when I do stupid things like load a scene up that need more ram than my computer has.

The only thing I've noticed though while working with these large scenes is LW need to be reloaded periodically but other than that every thing has run smother than silk.

Also the hub in the past has usually caused instability on my machine in the past but I've been running it with and without all week with no problems. Thanks guys for this release it has been a nice change in pace!

Thanks NT Team!

-Lee

gerry_g
05-16-2007, 12:34 PM
That's rendering (which has been pretty good since 9x really), try modeling in it and you'll soon realize why it's good practice to always have somewhere else you can go ;-)

lede
05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
That's rendering (which has been pretty good since 9x really), try modeling in it and you'll soon realize why it's good practice to always have somewhere else you can go ;-)

I did have some crashes in modeler but once I update my video card drivers thats also been rock solid. The model I was working on has close to 1.5 million polies and everything has been worked fine between the two programs.

-Lee

lilrayray77
05-16-2007, 12:54 PM
It's all been solid for me as well, layout especially. The only problems I have had was rounder acting a bit odd. The speed and stability is quite refreshing.

Earl
05-16-2007, 12:56 PM
For normal modeling tasks I've not had any stability problems with LightWave. The only problems I've ever had were trying to use plugins on odd geometry or the occasional layer panel crash (I've learned to simply save before using the Layer panel).

gerry_g
05-16-2007, 01:39 PM
The last two weeks I've been modeling in 9.2 and it's fine until the poly count starts to climb, then it becomes next to useless, try 'Drag Snapping', 'Scaling' or otherwise transforming anything large and you'll soon find out. This goes double for things like 'Pictrix Clone2' or the LWCad Snap, Rotate Snap and Scale Snap tools, all of which will crash if too many polys are present in the object let alone on the layer you are working on. Bandsaw alternates it's axis with each incremental use, meaning you have to flip the settings if you want to do the same thing twice and Bevel Edges is a total disaster, So when I say I have to keep moving into other modelers/versions of LW to do the simplest of thing I mean it, it's not funny and can't be glossed over lightly.

lede
05-16-2007, 03:01 PM
The last two weeks I've been modeling in 9.2 and it's fine until the poly count starts to climb, then it becomes next to useless, try 'Drag Snapping', 'Scaling' or otherwise transforming anything large and you'll soon find out. This goes double for things like 'Pictrix Clone2' or the LWCad Snap, Rotate Snap and Scale Snap tools, all of which will crash if too many polys are present in the object let alone on the layer you are working on. Bandsaw alternates it's axis with each incremental use, meaning you have to flip the settings if you want to do the same thing twice and Bevel Edges is a total disaster, So when I say I have to keep moving into other modelers/versions of LW to do the simplest of thing I mean it, it's not funny and can't be glossed over lightly.

gerry_g, I'm not dismissing your having problems. If you have reproducable steps that crash Modeler every time then post them here so we can try them out or send them to NT so they can add it to the list of bugs that need fixing. The more reports they get on bugs probably the sooner we'll see them fixed.

-Lee

lede
05-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Also I'll try the other things you mentioned on my machine and see if there is something reproducable that we can send in. I don't use LWCad at all so wont be able to test these problems but the other ones I will give a go and see what happens.

-Lee

aurora
05-16-2007, 03:24 PM
gerry_g - how big are you talking about. I have one object I'm working on that all together is 1.3 million polys (non-sub'd) and the other is 5.6 million (combo sub and non-sub'd). Having little to no problems modeling either one (knock on wood!!!)

RedBull
05-16-2007, 04:33 PM
The last two weeks I've been modeling in 9.2 and it's fine until the poly count starts to climb, then it becomes next to useless, try 'Drag Snapping', 'Scaling' or otherwise transforming anything large and you'll soon find out.

Agreed for a speedy new Modeler, i was really disappointed just yesterday with Modelers OGL speed with a CC object was selected, the lag was unusable (despite low polygon count) When items were not selected the OGL was fast,
but as soon as i select it, wow does it seem useless compared to XSI/Modo.

gerry_g
05-16-2007, 04:57 PM
OGL is very fast for hard models, it's just CC's that have lucked out in 9.2. I have a hard poly model of some 342.929 polys which rotate, snap, scale just fine in any other version of LW or any other modeler come to that but not in 9.2. for crying out loud this isn't even half a million, and besides I’m only moving one layer at a time not all of it , though I have no problem moving all of it in anything else.

badllarma
05-16-2007, 05:16 PM
I found it the worst pile of crap i've ever used in my life, I did start using it last week after a break and it was shockingly poor ended going back to 9.0.

Try this load a new plugin in layout then load a scene and start working on it poof shut down, I've not actually used the plugin BTW just loaded in into the plugin section then carried on with doing something else :thumbsdow

Very very unstable.......thank god i'm doing more video work these days.

Dodgy
05-16-2007, 05:46 PM
I've not had this problem ever in layout... What plugin?

badllarma
05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Polas grass (it does not work in 9.0 or 9.2 I know now) , but I've tried it with a few please note I'm NOT using the plugins within any scene just installing them.

What else FPrime 2.1 (or 2.0 what ever the previous version was to the new one) opened layout installed FPrime plugin (Did not use FPrime within the scene) but just started working on a scene bang! Error and shut down!

It is by far the worst version of Lightwave I've used 9.0 was rock solid this I just not bothering with.
And rendering fine for normal poly objects i'm sure but I was working with hypervoxels the other day and particles and a swear there has been no speed up since 8.0

jameswillmott
05-21-2007, 01:05 AM
I might get a crash every two or three days ( usually something I know I shouldn't do but forget not to), other than that it's been fast, solid and dependable.

It strikes me as very strange that exactly the same code works wonderfully on some systems and falls over on others...

jameswillmott
05-21-2007, 01:19 AM
I use Ati, Radeon 9550, latest drivers. Nvidia is supposed to be MORE stable than Ati, or so I'm told. I use VBO mode.

rustythe1
05-22-2007, 09:23 AM
well ive had more of the opposite of most of you guys, when i was using 9 i had a lot of hub problems, i could only on rare occasions send stuff straight from modeler to layout, also if i closed modeler layout would error then close, but not with 9.2, also my renders with the new radiosty settings have speed up 10 fold, a small sceen i was going to set off a while back was going to take a week, but i just done it in 20 hours,that was a full 1080p hd shot lasting a 1000 frames on an old p4 3.2 mesh,

Dodgy
05-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Just a question, who's using fprime a lot? I find if I have fprime open, then my crashes happen a lot more...

zatara
05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
I am using fprime 3.01. Most of the times when LW 9.2 crashes, i was using fprime.

Andy Webb
05-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Just a question, who's using fprime a lot? I find if I have fprime open, then my crashes happen a lot more...

Unfortunately I find the same problem, I have to use it sparingly.

Just finished a project with some textures linked to a null which needed animating over a model. Ideal use for FPrime as I could position the textures and get instant feedback, but it crashed every time I moved the null. Very disappointing, this was in LW64 on Vista mind you, so perhaps I am asking for problems :(