PDA

View Full Version : Twice as fast

v1u1ant
05-16-2007, 08:23 AM
this has been asked before but it doesnt appear to have had a reasonable answer.....

......lets say i have two machines, sitting side by side both with lightwave and im rendering on one machine and i want to work on something else on the other machine.

....but i only have one dongle, thats on the machine thats rendering, so im in 'discovery mode' on the other machine because i dont have a second dongle.

So...question is, can i get another dongle for free? or will i have to pay some nominal charge to get another dongle? Infact, can i get another dongle at all?

Whats the dongle deal?

Lightwolf
05-16-2007, 08:29 AM
You can get another dongle, but you need to pay for it.

You could of course start LW on the second machine with your dongle, then unplug the dongle and plug it into your first machine to render.

Another option would be to set up screamernet rendering on your second machine (which doesn't require a dongle at all).

Cheers,
Mike

Dodgy
05-16-2007, 08:29 AM
2 dongles means buying two licenses. However, you can setup ANY number of machines as render slaves with LW, and render slaves don't have to have dongles.

Look up screamernet in your manual. It'll describe how to set up network rendering.

v1u1ant
05-16-2007, 09:28 AM
ah i didnt realize you could unplug the dongle once youd started off a render.

and ill check out screamernet.

thnx both of yuz

Sensei
05-16-2007, 09:37 AM
I have recently described how to set up screamer net in this thread http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68507 Before it turned to be Virtual Render thread ;)

v1u1ant
05-16-2007, 09:44 AM
thanks Sensai, ill check it out:thumbsup: