PDA

View Full Version : Using DVCAM with Speededit

hlayk
05-16-2007, 06:50 AM
I posted this in the Speededit section, but it was suggested that I post it in the General section as well.

I'm trying to get my Sony DSR-30 DVCAM deck to be seen by my computer (XP Pro). When connected with a firewire, it tries to install the deck, but can't find a driver. Therefore, I can't use the deck with Speededit. Newtek tells me that there are users doing this, but they don't know who.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Surrealist.
05-16-2007, 01:00 PM
I have used the DVR30 with another NLE in XP.

Something seems strange in your description. You need to clarify. Windows does not see a driver or Speed Edit does not see a driver? Also a deck driver or a firewire driver.

On the windows side, if the deck is firewire - which this one is - it should show up as a device as soon as you plug it in no driver required - to my knowledge. If there IS a driver required it must come with windows because with all the cameras decks or whatever I haver thrown at windows firewire or USB for that matter I haver never had to install a driver. (other than for the firewire port)

The only problem should be with a software such as an NLE not being able to support that deck which does happen.

So you need to clarify if windows can or cannot find the deck. If it cannot then you simply need to find out if you have the proper driver for your firewire connection first. Does the firewire work at all? Go into your device manager and see if it is working properly. If it is working properly then it should find the deck. IF that checks out then explore the NLE as to compatibility.

hlayk
05-16-2007, 07:58 PM
When I plug in the deck using firewire, a "Found New Hardware" wizard pops up. It says it found a new "AV/C Tuner" and asks for an installation disk. If I tell it I don't have a disk and to find what it's looking for on the computer or online, it comes back and says it can't find the "necessary software." This is all before I even launch Speededit.

The only thing I can think of is there may be a special power-on sequence for the deck that gets me into a menu allowing me to choose what kind of firewire connection it should be. But I haven't a clue as to how to do this.

The firewire connection on the computer works fine. Device manager says so, and when I connect it to my MiniDV camcorder, everything works. But not with the DVCAM deck!

Surrealist.
05-16-2007, 11:16 PM
OK this is a dumb question but have you tried to put a tape in first?

Also I think that deck has a switch in the back or someplace that you switch it from SDI to Firewire. I have used a couple Sonys in that series so forgive me but I am pretty sure there is a switch. If not it must have been a different deck I am thinking of.

But in any case it sounds like windows is trying to find another piece of hardware, not the deck and this is why the new hardware wizard. So you are right about that. Just a matter of getting it into the right mode sounds like to me.

BTW my thinking with the tape is that it might automatically put it into the correct mode.

hlayk
05-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Ok. So you're a genius!
I put a tape in, then hooked up the firewire. Lo and behold, it now works as it should. I can capture video. Haven't tried writing to tape yet, but it should work.

Thank you.

ps. There is no switch to do this.

hlayk
05-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Well, not quite. I can now capture video and use the deck as a pass-through to see what I'm doing as I edit. But it still won't print to tape. And yes, the write-enable slider on the tape is set to allow recording. Is this due to the deck being able to play DV or DVCAM but only record in DVCAM?

Another problem - when I capture, Speededit ignores the file name I type in and calls the file "Untitled-1".

Surrealist.
05-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Well, not quite. I can now capture video and use the deck as a pass-through to see what I'm doing as I edit. But it still won't print to tape. And yes, the write-enable slider on the tape is set to allow recording. Is this due to the deck being able to play DV or DVCAM but only record in DVCAM?

That might be. Do you have access to a manual for it? It would say so there. At this point I would be looking over the manual to see what gives.

If you don't have one here's a link to a PDF (http://www.sony.ca/dvcam/manuals/DSR-30-30P.pdf).

The naming thing is strange and I would consult that forum or NT support. I don't have a clue.

Silkrooster
05-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Boy, its been awhile since I output to tape. If I recall I had a similar problem the first time I sent video to tape. I beleive it had to do with the switch on the camcorder. I don't recall whether the switch had to be on record or play but trying the opposite of what you have it now may make the difference.
Silk

hlayk
05-20-2007, 09:43 AM
There is no record or play switch. If I push the record button on the deck while outputting video from Speededit, it does nothing.

The deck manual says nothing about this.

Surrealist.
05-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Is there a print to tape feature in Speededit?

This would automatically set the deck into record mode at the specified frame.

djlithium
05-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I ran into a similar problem yesterday with a JVC GY-250 camera and the companion deck. I works under XP32bit but not under XP64bit. It comes up saying its a AV/C device in speed edit and I can get it to play the deck but after that the controls lock up. Under 32bit it does show up correctly saying its a JVC device when in speed edit and I can capture HDV/DV from both devices no problem. I think SpeedEdit needs to be extensively tested more on 64bit systems. I have 3 clients I do some contract work for and not one of them cuts in 32bit. EVER. It's all 64bit XP with Vegas or SpeedEdit but with mixed results for speedEdit obviously.

hlayk
05-21-2007, 06:59 AM
Yes, there's a print-to-tape feature in Speededit. But it's not doing what it's supposed to. It won't record to DVCAM (unlike what I was told before buying Speededit).

cholo
05-21-2007, 11:52 AM
There's a trick to make DV stream recording work on the dsr-30. Press and hold the rec, pause and power buttons to power it on. A long beep will sound if it worked, might have to try a few times when you don't know how to do it. After that it will record the incoming stream. Hope it helps ;)

Surrealist.
05-21-2007, 12:09 PM
I saw that tip on the net but it was related to recording unlocked audio I thought. Or is this different?

In any case thanks for that tip.

hlayk
05-21-2007, 02:32 PM
That worked! Thanks.