PDA

View Full Version : Texturing a lighttube with a label!?

svdelle
06-24-2003, 07:13 AM
I'm trying to texture this lighttube with a label, but can't figure out how this transparency with a label works. Can't seem to find any tutorials on the subject.

What I'm trying to do is put a label on the glasstube, but the polys then become non-transparent. I then tried to apply a transparency map (an inversed black/white version of the label), and it got all screwed up. Now I can't see the logic in how this works.

It doesn't seem that easy to texture stuff in LW - hope I'm proven wrong on this.

Maybe some of you guys can help me out with a few tips for gettin me started in the right direction?

Thanks.

Mylenium
06-24-2003, 09:38 AM
It's actually quite simple. All you have to understand is that black and white equal to 100 and 0 percent. All grey values inbetween are semi transparent. If you simply desaturated you image you won't get far 'cos very likely it creates transparency where you don't want it. Some more work is required here. Once you have your base image, you can tweak values by using a gradient with "Previous layer" as input parameter. One mor tip: don't play with the transparency slider - leave it at 0 or 100 percent and give all control over transparency to your image(s).

Mylenium

svdelle
06-24-2003, 04:40 PM
the textures doesn't seem to behave the way I expect them to. I've placed an 'alpha' (black/white) image (based on the color map image, same size etc) to act as the transparency map. And in the Surface Editor I've tapped in the exact same values for scale, placement etc. (I've used copy/paste). But I only get to see some fragments of the color map, places 'randomly' on the surface. This tells me that the color map and the transparency map are not at all aligned. But I can't seem to figure out whats wrong.

Is there any tutorials on the net, that touches this subject of placing a label on glass, so that the glass on the polys concerned actually stays transparent except where the transparency map tells it to?

stib
06-24-2003, 09:10 PM
..you made sure that the projection setting of the image was the same (planar, cylindrical, cubic etc)?
Have another look at the numbers to make sure they've "stuck", too. As a newbie I often get very confused by unexpected behaviour until I realise that it's because of LW's stupid you-have-to-press-return-or-tab-to-accept-the-changes-or-they'll-sneakily-revert-on-you behaviour.

marvin
06-24-2003, 09:29 PM
Maybe what you can do is to copy the settings for applying the image. Then click the T for transparency and paste the same texture there to ensure you have the same settings. Then just change the image in the transparency to the B/W map.

marvin

svdelle
06-25-2003, 02:41 AM
Yes, that I have all done and tried.

But it seems, after test rendering after test rendering, to have been the fact that the glasstube was built around another slightly smaller tube with its luminance set to 800% to create extreme ... erh, luminance! And that seems to have caused some kind of 'burn out' ... hmmm. Still strange though.

But I'll keep on tweekin' my way to the final result.