PDA

View Full Version : Object's Alpha Channel via Distance to Camera

Gordonpee
05-15-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm animating a camera pushing through a group of objects and am having a little trouble.

I need each object's alpha channel to adjust as the camera gets closer. But the only thing that I can do to get close to the effect I want is to use a "distance to camera" gradient on the object's transparency. But I need the whole object to fade, not just the side closest to the camera.

Anyone have an easy answer? Otherwise, I'll have to render each object separately, and adjust it's transparency in After Effects.

Dodgy
05-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Can't you do this with an envelope on dissolve? In the object Properties panel?

Gordonpee
05-15-2007, 10:41 AM
I thought that would work too. But it's an envelope, I need to use Distance to Camera gradiant. Plus it looks just like adjusting the tranparency in the surface editor (it reveals the otherside of the object.
Gordon

Can't you do this with an envelope on dissolve? In the object Properties panel?

Surrealist.
05-15-2007, 12:48 PM
I had kind of a similar request but for a different reason. Try this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63926&highlight=reverse+dissolve). It involves using an expression, didn't seem to work at first but that's because I am a noob at expressions.

Dodgy
05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Try this expression:

(vmag( Ball.wpos(Time)- Camera.wpos(Time)) - a)/(b - a)

where a= distance at which dissolve=0, b =distance at which dissolve =1.0 (100%).