PDA

View Full Version : Archmodels

capeol
05-15-2007, 05:06 AM
I have one question, do Lightwave have any websites like this that sales objects with texturing for architects?
I know that Evermotions models have Lightwave obj but there are just simple object without textures and materials.
http://www.evermotion.org

Amurrell
05-15-2007, 06:36 AM
Went on Google with this search string http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=3D+architectural+models,+Lightwave&spell=1 and came up with a few places that look promising. Didn't look too hard though, but it is a place to start.

manholoz
05-15-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't have the evermotion models, but remember obj import as it comes in lightwave skips the material attributes. There is a script to bring in the materials in the obj (or the accompanying mtl) file. Try dodgy's mtl import script at http://dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/Lscripts.html

Just in case you didn't know...

ingo
05-16-2007, 01:59 AM
Oddly evermotions obj and 3ds files are not textured, only the max, vray and maxwell files.

Limbus
05-16-2007, 02:04 AM
Evermotion should get someone to make LW versions of the objects. The best would be a Version with nodes and one optimized for Kray.

Florian

tyrot
05-16-2007, 02:20 AM
dear limbus

i have lots of custom made objects..when i have time i will share them with community in a decent webpage..Some of evermotion models are insanely hi-poly. That s why i didnt use them , instead i modelled my own models. Hopefully in a few weeks ..i may share them with all arch-viz freaks like me.

All i need a web designer who can script with PHP also. Then we can open biggest LWO only object depot. I am planning this for a long long time. But you know clients..

best

Limbus
05-16-2007, 02:25 AM
dear limbus

i have lots of custom made objects..when i have time i will share them with community in a decent webpage..Some of evermotion models are insanely hi-poly. That s why i didnt use them , instead i modelled my own models. Hopefully in a few weeks ..i may open a great LWO object depo...

That sound like a cool idea. It would be great if others would also contribute modells. I will share some of my own for sure. Maybe it would be a good idea to run this on a share basis meaning that whoever wants to download stuff has to share something. THis would keep the traffic low and would let the collection grow.

All i need a web designer who can script with PHP also. Then we can open biggest LWO only object depot. I am planning this for a long long time. But you know clients..

Did you have a look at www.hotscripts.com ? They list thousand of free scripts and might have just the thing you need.

Cheers, Florian

tyrot
05-16-2007, 05:07 PM
dear mega

i seriously have lots of models...all i need is to put them in a decent website....i ll announce soon when i have a bit progress in website

best

Exception
05-16-2007, 09:25 PM
I already inquired to Marzena at Evermotion and was told they had conducted a poll regarding the l

The problem with that argument is that max/viz models are proprietary. Noone except the users of those programs can use them. Everyone else is stuffed with ancient file formats like 3ds or obj both having their drawbacks. LWO's are read by pretty much any application in the industry and is a open and documented format. So, c4d, blender, maya, archicad, xsi and all the other ones would benefit from lwo addition as well. That should topple the scales.

ingo
05-17-2007, 02:16 AM
So is it so complicated to write a script for transforming a max model into other formats, or how about using a software like polytrans to convert them ?

Limbus
05-17-2007, 04:46 AM
So is it so complicated to write a script for transforming a max model into other formats, or how about using a software like polytrans to convert them ?

It is. I dont think any programm besides Max can read .max files. The format is not documented and it contains the construction history of the model. Converters normally need an installed Max to open and convert the files.

Florian

ingo
05-17-2007, 05:13 AM
As far as i remember the 3ds export from Max works fine and makes objects with textures intact, whats so complicated to do this with Evermotions objects ? Or how about that new mxs Maxwell file ?

manholoz
05-17-2007, 08:22 AM
3ds has a maximum polygon limit per object mesh, and can only handle triangles. As well as other inconveniences. So it really is only useful for simple models.
Maxwell files would be fine... if you plan on rendering in maxwell...

archijam
05-17-2007, 11:15 AM
In addition I have found MAX and VIZ models to conflict, have extremely unpredictable backwards and forward compatability, leading me (back in the Kinematix days) to label every file with the MAX version, ala AutoCAD.

Hm .. Autodesk .. maybe that is not a coincidence .. ?

Eventually i converted to Lightwave, in Exception's living room, and lost his Gouda cheese slicer.

He never forgave me for that.

J

MicroMouse
05-17-2007, 11:48 PM
That may be so, but even with files being under the limit, they often come in "exploded."

There is a key frame section in 3DS files. The information from the first key frame is used to scale, rotate, translate and clone the polygon meshes.

When 3DS Max writes 3DS files sometimes the information from the first key frame has to be used and sometimes it should not be used. There is no flag in the 3DS file to indicate how the key frame data should be used.

If the object looks exploded, in AccuTrans 3D
(available at http://www.micromouse.ca/)
use the "File -> Open With Options" menu command to open the "Open With Options" dialog box. In the center of the dialog box is a check box called "Use 3DS Key Frame". Either check or uncheck this check box and click the "Reload" button to reload the 3DS file.

Wayne

Exception
05-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Eventually i converted to Lightwave, in Exception's living room, and lost his Gouda cheese slicer.

Yeah, where IS my cheese slicer, eh?

Riff_Masteroff
05-27-2007, 06:22 AM
BTW, Autodesk has removed the 3ds export function in ACAD. They have "given" 3dsmax a dwg import function. So, for recent ACAD versions (ACAD 2007 and ACAD 2008) you need to buy 3dsmax also.

dxf export is still available.

Riff Masteroff

Exception
05-27-2007, 07:11 AM
BTW, Autodesk has removed the 3ds export function in ACAD. They have "given" 3dsmax a dwg import function. So, for recent ACAD versions (ACAD 2007 and ACAD 2008) you need to buy 3dsmax also.

Tue, but you can download the 3dsout function as a free plugin (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9481286&linkID=9240618).

IMI
05-27-2007, 08:10 AM
From what I've seen, converting most of those Arch models is a royal pain in the @ss, since all the ones I've seen use VRay materials, and when regular .max files are included, they have no textures applied to them.
Deep Exploration CAD can load them just fine, but not with textures, except for the odd case where there's a texture applied in the plain old max way, i.e., not via VRay.
Of course, the meshes themselves can be easily enough converted to .lwo, but it's figuring out where all the textures go that's the problem.
They were clearly designed only for 3ds max users to enjoy. It's a conspiracy, I tell you! :D

IMI
05-27-2007, 01:45 PM
Man, since I posted in this thread last... let's see, over 6 hours ago, I opened up a max/VRay Evermotion kitchen model/scene in Deep Exploration CAD Edition and converted it to .lwo and loaded it into LW Modeler...
It has 267 or so layers in the object.
I've spent about a third of that time trying to re-texture it. I have to keep stopping for the sake of my sanity. ;)
Well, about an hour ago I gave up for the day, but I'll probably try again some more tomorrow.
I haven't tried DE's .lws conversion for it, maybe I'll see if that makes anything easier.

One thing I have to take exception with though, is that some of the meshes in that particular file are just way beyond what they need to be, like a simple bowl with 2000 polygons. There's "hi-res" and then there's Ridiculous-res, you know? :D