PDA

View Full Version : Animating dof

Otterman
05-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Using lw 9.2 and digital confusion-ive been experimenting with animating dof using a moving null as a target of focus.

Problem is, im getting some weird artifacts dancing around (see attached movie) The movie is compressed so colours n quality have gone to pot but it does demonstrate what i mean!

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing and know how i can eliminated them? Perhaps suggest a better plugin-(mac by the way)

Red_Oddity
05-15-2007, 02:31 AM
Huh, that's weird, i almost looks like a pre-multiply/post-divide error, that rather looks like a bug to me.

nthused
05-15-2007, 05:35 AM
Perhaps it's that the new cameras do not support Digital Confusion?
If possible, use 9.2's built-in DOF or do the work in post with a tool like DOF Pro from Richard Rosenman. DOF Pro - batches files in photoshop - a REALLY cool and fast tool - and if you're not happy with the DOF effect...you re-do it in minutes instead of waiting for your entire sequence to re-render.

BeeVee
05-15-2007, 06:59 AM
And the major benefit of using LightWave's DoF is that you can see it in Layout, so you don't even need to render until it's right... Tutorial here (http://www.lightwiki.com/Interactive_Depth_of_Field)

B

Otterman
05-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Yeah am looking into the camera dof settings. never knew it was there til this morning. Thing is, im just getting what looks like grain even though ive bumped up antialising in both the camera and render properties!

Wot figures!

BeeVee
05-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Not just your anti-aliasing you need to adjust (and you can actually leave it at 1 if you have adaptive sampling on) you need to adjust how many motion blur/DoF passes you do. It's in the Render Globals > Filtering tab

B

Weepul
05-15-2007, 08:42 AM
Using lw 9.2 and digital confusion-ive been experimenting with animating dof using a moving null as a target of focus.
Well, that's your problem right there - you're using Digital Confusion, which is finicky as all heck and not really worth using, in my experience. 8/

If you have the money and a non-Intel Mac (or are willing to suffer Rosetta to use the CFM version of LW), XDof (http://evs3d.com/xd_lw_intro.html) gives excellent results, but only really works if you do all of your antialiasing via motion blur passes - you'll have to give up AA level (set it to 1) and adaptive antialiasing, since it was programmed long before LW9 and assumes it's getting individual passes, each non-antialiased.

The other solution is the one you're doing now - using LW's own DOF. It will give completely accurate results, but often requires very high AA settings (and/or very low Adaptive Sampling values) to smooth out all the noise, meaning long render times.

Pick your poison... :p

Otterman
05-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Ok-im beginning to get back on track again-thanks for ALL the pointers guys, indeedy render times have gone through the roof but at least im getting the results im after!

Will post the final animation after the weekend cus its gonna take that long to blumin render.

Ta once again