PDA

View Full Version : Car laquer - pearlescents

tribbles
05-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi,

Following on from Exception's rather nice metallic paint preset, I've been seeing how far I can get with doing some pearlescent paints.

Here's my attempt so far - based on the TVR green/purple colours (excuse the model - I'm in the final stages of building one of these cars, and I just wanted an idea as to what colour to paint it - as a result, I've not really spent a lot of time modelling it [and the background]).

It's a bit simpler than Exception's one, so may not be as suitable. I've also not had a lot of time to test it at various angles, but the few I've done seem fine. I know there's still a bit more work that can be done...

Anyway, there's 3 static colours in use - the 'Base' colour is the main colour used; the 'Dark' colour is the colour that's towards the back of the picture and the 'Sparkle' colour is the colour for the main sparkes.

If you need a description for any of the nodes, let me know.

tribbles
05-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Note that the real TVR colour is the other way around (purple on green).

tribbles
05-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Here's another render from a different viewpoint (with the colours inverted - come to think of it, I think they did it both ways).

safetyman
05-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Cool. Thanks!

Otterman
05-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Oo just need a swish car to try it out on-pearlescent teapot anyone!
Ta tribbles for sharing :thumbsup:

tribbles
05-15-2007, 10:19 AM
I'll post the 2nd one up later on today - as well as some others (like Lambo orange), and a version for stripes (boy, does that slow down!)

tribbles
05-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Actually, I'll share another one I did.

My car may end up being this colour...

ETA: And one of the stripes I did.

tribbles
05-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Here's the surface definition for the 2nd scene.

Note that the reflection is very low because of the HDRI object I'm rendering with. You'll probably need to increase that if you're not using HDRI.

tribbles
05-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Teapot anyone?

(although I had to turn on my PC to get the object, rather annoying!)

Matt
05-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Pretty good, but for me the fleck size is too large, they are much smaller in real life, but AA can smooth them out if too small, on very small noise I often make them larger so you can see it too.

tribbles
05-16-2007, 04:34 AM
I'd agree that they're probably too large - easy to fix :)

sudac20
05-23-2007, 01:01 PM
me like, thanks!:thumbsup: