PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using 9.2 and fbx export/import?

ece3k
05-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Hello,
I was getting ready to upgrade and was wondering if anyone has been using the fbx import/export plugin successfully in 9.2?
Thanks,
Erik

robpowers3d
05-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes, It works the same way it did with 8.5 and earlier. Depending on which version of Motionbuilder you are using you may need to use the fbx converter for it to work properly.

ece3k
05-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Rob,
Thanks. I will proceed. What is the fbx converter? I am using MB 7.5 from 8.2 so haven't had the need for any converter.
Erik

robpowers3d
05-15-2007, 11:08 AM
It's only when you try to get FBX back into lightwave that you need the converter.

DLIT
05-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi I got MB7.5 and LW9.0
The only fbx plugin available is the former one delivered with MB6.
I used it to export from a LW9.0 scene and got no texture in the exported fbx file.
Then once imported into MB7.5 (after converted through converter.exe) made an animation test.
Tried to import or merge animation into LW and nothing moves.
Any tip to handle the case ?
Thanks for help
Dominique

ece3k
05-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Well,
I only translate in the skeletal movement from fbx to LW and that part of things is testing fine for me in 9.2 using the same plugin I got for 8.2.....make sure that the frames the movement happens on in fbx are the same frames your LW scene is on and that all bones are named the same.

I attached the plugin that is working for me (windowsXP)
Erik

robpowers3d
05-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes that is the latest FBX plugin for Lightwave. I wish there would be an update but I understand Newtek's hesitation to spend development time and money updating a non-open source format controlled by Autodesk. They could spend a lot of time just to be faced with a constant changing format not under their control. But I would still benefit greatly from an updated Lightwave FBX version.

DLIT
05-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the plugin which is a little bit newer than mine (fbxlw80). I ll test it. My initial scene in LW has no frames. I just export the rigged character as a fbx file. Frame are added only in MB. Am I correct by doing so ?

However have you seen the new development kit on the fbx site ? Seems that this is more "open source" like than former plugin as some developers might make use of this material. I was said that some applications had been done with it in 2 days. What do you think about it ?
Dominique

DLIT
05-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Being quite new at MB may I ask you how you export only animation and reimport it into LW ? Just merging with initial LWS I presume ? Thanks
Dominique

ece3k
05-29-2007, 08:20 AM
I use fbx because I animate in Autodesk MotionBuilder - the program I need to apply raw mocap data to characters. So I set my characters up with only a skeleton (no rig) that has the MotionBuilder naming convention. Then I export the character (no sub-D in MB so I use a low poly proxy) using the fbx exporter, animate and apply mocap data in MB, save as an fbx after plotting the data to the skeleton, then use the FBX MERGE plug in to bring it back. So, I have my sub-D version of the character in LW, Merge in the fbx file, and then away I go in LW. So really I am using it only for bringing in skeletal motion, but it all works aout pretty well. I am worried that Autodesk may want to screw us LW'ers eventually and make the fbx's not work. Then I'd be forced into MAX or Maya and that is not what I want at all.
Later,
Erik

robpowers3d
05-29-2007, 09:53 AM
An updated FBX plugin for Lightwave that actually supports the current FBX version would definately eliminate a few steps in the process.

mattc
05-29-2007, 09:31 PM
An updated FBX plugin for Lightwave that actually supports the current FBX version would definately eliminate a few steps in the process.

Chuck mentioned that NT would be doing this in house a few months back....

M

DLIT
05-31-2007, 06:18 AM
Thanks for replies. Actually this is also the way that I first tried to do but omitting using the converter. Now getting some working test results.
I think the converter is the workable gangway that enable us to work correctly with LW. But caution, the converter delivered with MB7.5 had some problems and here is a new one that is improved.
I ve been in touch with Autodesk and said that it would be irrealistic from them to expect that people who have spent considerable amount of time to use a soft like LW should just forget it to make the way again on 3DMax or Maya. I think they are aware that they have a better interest to attract customers like us as some other competitor to MB will undoubtfully develop in coming years and they know we shall go to these rather to give up the knowlege of LW that we painstakingly got along years. In the meantime converter seems a workable solution with the free and available former fbxlw82 plugin.
Dominique

Dominique

DLIT
11-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi
Ive read with interest ECE3K post of 05/29/2007 and tried to make it but unsuccessfully. Can you be a little bit more specific as your message was quite condensed.
I mean :
1/ What are the versions of LW and MB you re working with ?
2/ to start with you have a character mesh in LW. Then you make a skelegon according to MB naming convention. Then what is the order of the next steps ?
Thanks for help.
As FBX sdk is more or less open source, the material exists to develop a plugin specifically for LW but which developper will do that ? even on a commercial basis ?
Dom