PDA

View Full Version : help tutorial

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 04:01 AM
I cant get this tutorial to work:
Animation Basics: Rotating a moon around a planet.
am i dooing somethin wrong, or is the tutorial wrong?
(btw, the tutorial can be found on this site, by the tutorial section.
:confused:

Matt
06-24-2003, 04:27 AM
it's basically simple parenting, the theory goes, when you parent an object to another, all movement, rotations are passed down to the child object. so in the orbiting Moon . . .

1) create two sphere in modeller, Moon, Planet

2) load them into layout

3) add null object in layout

4) parent Moon to null object (under motions panel)

5) parent null object to Planet

5) now move the Moon away from the Planet

6) now to rotate the null to make the Moon orbit the Planet

to move rotate the whole thing, move / rotate the Planet object, all the others will follow.

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 04:38 AM
well, my problem is when i start the "movie" the moon does not show, it shows when i have loaded everything into layout, and when i have done everything that the tutorial says, the moon does not show on the screen, what am i dooing wring???

mattclary
06-24-2003, 05:43 AM
My theory is you have a keyframe that places the moon back at the origin. Ensure you parent the moon, THEN move it to it's appropriate spot. I think you should have autokey turned on.

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 05:59 AM
i did as you said, and when i changed orbit_control into heading 359 degrees, the moon disapered. what is going on???

ChrisS
06-24-2003, 07:42 AM
I think Matt's prognosis is probably right; your moon is jumping back to its origin because it doesn't have the position set properly with a keyframe. I took a peek at the tutorial and noticed that they don't say anything about making a keyframe for the moon.
Go to your scene editor tab and change the planet from shaded to wireframe view. This will let you see the moon "inside" the planet.

For reasons that aren't necessary to go into, folks that have been using LW for a while will likely do things a little differently than the way the tutorial describes.
As Matt suggested, load all your objects and nulls, do your parenting, then move your moon as suggested and set a keyframe on frame zero for it. I personally don't like to use auto keyframe (just a personal thing).
After that your null(s) should properly control the movement of the moon.

Night--Hawk
06-24-2003, 07:48 AM
i know that the moon is behind the earth when i load the object into layout, but when i have changed the rotation, the moon actualy disaper, not behind the earth or inn it, it just disapear.

mattclary
06-24-2003, 12:25 PM
I have a feeling it's still there, it just may have some really wacked out coordinates. How about zipping up all your objects and the scene and e-mailing it to me. [email protected]

marvin
06-24-2003, 01:54 PM
What you could try, to see where you moon went, is after it disappears, select it using the object selection list on the bottom of layout and then (make sure you are in perspective mode-shortcut is 4) hit the center box on the top right of layout.

This will at least show you where you planet has gone. Maybe you can figure it out from there.

marvin

Night--Hawk
06-25-2003, 05:35 AM
YES, i made it. Now the moon does show, but it doesnt rotate around the earth, and when i start the preview in lightwave, the image get invisble in some way. here is a picture when i starts the preview:

But i think the picture dosent show, because i did something wrong. I am sending the scene, and the modells to mattclary
and see if he can find out what i have done wrong.

Night--Hawk
06-25-2003, 05:36 AM
ahhhh, i did show after all, but i think it was kinda big....

mattclary
06-25-2003, 06:06 AM
Hit your "d" key and change you Bounding Box Display Threshold to something like 10000 and try it again.

Night--Hawk
06-25-2003, 06:37 AM
thx, that worked

mattclary
06-25-2003, 07:40 AM
NightHawk, sent this to you via e-mail:
Torgeir, the problem with the scene is you aren't rotating your "orbit control". Select the "orbit control" object, move the slider to key 120. In the lower left corner of LightWave, set the Heading (H=heading, P=pitch, B=bank) to 720 degrees, hit enter 3 times. Now play your preview.