PDA

View Full Version : SpeedEdit supported formats? A&V

FlynnWAVE
05-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Hello forum folks,

I am in the market for a good NLE and have been looking around different websites gathering information to do a feature comparison. I already have a DVD authoring tool, DVD Lab Pro, and would prefer not to get redundant software functionality since the software does everything I have wanted in over a period of a year.

I have skimmed over all the available PDFs on the Newtek site for SpeedEdit and have only found the profoundly helpful statement, "Donít waste valuable time conforming or converting your clips. MPEG-2, M2t, QuickTime, AVI and most other formats are ready to use the moment you drag them into SpeedEDITô."

Could somebody elaborate on the "most other formats" part? Having read various posts from this section of the forum one gets the sense that only specific formats within QuickTime and AVI are supported. I do know enough that QuickTime and AVI are merely format containers. I am no expert in any of this and would hope to get some inkling of what can be done without buying the software to see it first hand. This is the research phase of my purchasing decision.

I am also interested in the audio output formats. Does it have AC3 and mp3 output?

I must admit a bit of bias towards Newtek. Having owned the original toaster and finding out that 3D animation is what I love and being a happy user of Lightwave 3D ever since. :lightwave Now I hope to get a little bit more advanced in capability and do some video editing.

I thank you all in advance for any insight you can provide.

ScorpioProd
05-13-2007, 12:36 PM
I have skimmed over all the available PDFs on the Newtek site for SpeedEdit and have only found the profoundly helpful statement, "Donít waste valuable time conforming or converting your clips. MPEG-2, M2t, QuickTime, AVI and most other formats are ready to use the moment you drag them into SpeedEDITô."

I am also interested in the audio output formats. Does it have AC3 and mp3 output?
Hehehe... Yeah, devil's in the details, eh? :hey:

I'd love to hear such a list, but I don't think you'll get one. It's more of a as people use it and try different QT/AVI codecs they get mentioned here. There really are a lot of options out there. One thing I can say is SpeedEDIT doesn't support any of the QT 7 specific codecs currently, including the useful H.264 codec.

SpeedEDIT does support MP3 output, but does not have an AC-3 encoder.

SBowie
05-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Just a thought, but it might be easier to answer the question "Does SE support import and export of 'x' and 'y', which are important to me."

FlynnWAVE
05-13-2007, 04:40 PM
SpeedEDIT does support MP3 output, but does not have an AC-3 encoder.

That might be a deal breaker for me right there. I'll start looking into some options. Thanks much!

Oh and what video formats I want for inputs is sort of a grab bag. I don't know enough to be able to say specifically which ones, but one I can think of now is real media format. I have some footage from a MIT lecture that I want to include in some places in a project that could come up. Which version of .rm in specific I can't say cause I don't know.

I get the strong impression that there is a "If you don't know, then don't bother asking because this product ain't for you" type of attitude going on. Course, it could just be my frustration talking.

Sorry if I am reading that wrong.

ScorpioProd
05-13-2007, 04:58 PM
That might be a deal breaker for me right there. I'll start looking into some options. Thanks much!

In reference to AC-3 encoding, I think part of the reason Newtek has never included it was since most DVD authoring programs, such as Ulead's DVD Workshop 2 SE that Newtek bundles with their VT[4] system, do the AC-3 encoding at that stage, instead of in the NLE.

Since the point upgrade to SpeedEDIT will include VST plug-in support, that does open up the option of buying a SurCode VST plug-in to do AC-3 from SpeedEDIT.

Oh and what video formats I want for inputs is sort of a grab bag. I don't know enough to be able to say specifically which ones, but one I can think of now is real media format. I have some footage from a MIT lecture that I want to include in some places in a project that could come up. Which version of .rm in specific I can't say cause I don't know.

There is currently no Real Media support in SpeedEDIT. (Actually, is the quality of a Real Media clip really going to hold up for editing in any system?)

I get the strong impression that there is a "If you don't know, then don't bother asking because this product ain't for you" type of attitude going on. Course, it could just be my frustration talking.

Sorry if I am reading that wrong.
Apologies if I made it seem that way. It's honestly just a situation of Newtek has never stated such a list, and that has fustrated others in the past as well. But, in defense, there are a lot of codecs out there, and some that don't work directly do work via workarounds. Not the best answer, but I haven't heard a better one. :)

SBowie
05-13-2007, 05:02 PM
I get the strong impression that there is a "If you don't know, then don't bother asking because this product ain't for you" type of attitude going on. Course, it could just be my frustration talking.I think you would have a different view after a little while. It's just kind of tough to answer about codecs because there are so darn many of them.

Apart from the previously mentioned lag in supporting the latest Quicktime codecs in the current SE build, it does support pretty much all of the mainstream ones. But there can always be little quirks (I tried rendering to XVID MPEG4 the other day and failed, but it may be the codec's fault, not SE.) I can't say about .rm, but maybe someone else can, or if you post one somewhere I'm sure someone will test it and report.

Jim_C
05-14-2007, 12:24 AM
I get the strong impression that there is a "If you don't know, then don't bother asking because this product ain't for you" type of attitude going on.

Naaa.... Guys around here are way cool and waaaay helpful.
ESPECIALLY the 2 who have answered so far.

Don't be afraid to ask a thing here.

Jim

PSegarra
05-14-2007, 08:06 AM
If SE shutsdown on you it was the codec. I was trying to render some clips last week and when I installed the right codec everything rendered fine.

FlynnWAVE
05-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Does this mean that if there is a windows media compatible codec (i.e. the video will play in Windows Media Player) SpeedEDIT will successfully read the file and will be able to deal with it properly? Possibly transcoding the video into an internal format until the project render. If so that would open up a whole host of new possibilities.

I found a real media to mpeg format converter, [name deleted - advertising]. It's only 30 dollars american and gives me what I need. It's going into Lightwave anyway to be mapped onto a surface to simulate a TV screen.

Thanks everybody for the help and I promise to be less surly in the future.

BeniToaster
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Yes all windows media compatible codecs so far work on SpeedEDIT, even Cineform in 2k resolution.
All the Avid codecs including DNxHD, DVC100 this are QT.
BlackMagic 8 bit codecs both HD and SD AVI.
BlueFish codecs.
Hope this helps.