PDA

View Full Version : Is 9.2 really Universal Binary?

johnheins
05-13-2007, 12:17 AM
I had an old dual 1.44 GHz G4 that I was doing all my rendering on. I finally upgraded my machine to an 8-core 3.0 GHz. Well, I expected about an 8 fold increase in rendering speed. You know 2x1.44=about 3GHz total power on the old machine. 8x3=24 GHz total power on the new one. I know it may not work exactly like that, but it should be kind of close.

So I ran a bunch of tests and I'm getting exactly a 4 fold increase in rendering speed. This seemed curious. When I checked my Activity Monitor, sure enough, it siad that my 9.2 is running in PowerPC, not Intel (Universal Binary, right?) If this is true, it explains the 4 fold increase as Rosetta slows everything down by about half which gets me to my expected 8 fold increase.

Does this sound right? Does anybody think I installed 9.2 wrong? Is my math way off? Not sure what to think.

Can anybody shed some "light-wave" on this?

brian.coates
05-13-2007, 01:12 AM
The Universal Binary is still in beta. The current 9.2 release is still a CFM build, which on your machine would be running under Rosetta.

If you want to join the UB open beta program you can join up via your Newtek registration page.

G M D THREE
05-13-2007, 03:32 AM
If you boot up in widows using boot camp you will get way better render speed on the same machine. I have not run any 9.2 test on both sides yet but with 9.0 its 3 to 1. Meaning if it takes 12 min on the mac side under Rosseta it take 4 min on the Windows side. But if you have more time than money, you could as well wait till 9.2 UB is out of betta as Newtek is working verry hard to make it happen. ... and of course as suggested join the public beta and help speeding up the process.

///