PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid newbie Tricks

mjcrawford
05-11-2007, 01:59 PM
:help:
Hey Guys/Gals I hope someone can help me out here.
:help:

I went from 9.0 to 9.2 and after I verified that 9.2 was working ok, I removed 9.0 (I know, stupid of me) now I cannot get Hypervoxals to load... what can I do?

Second, does anyone know if the 64bit is going to run better on Vista? strangly I have a cheap Dell laptop that runs the open GL ports great, I have a model that I am working on with about 175k polys (subpached) and when I am moving things around it is smooth as silk with a simple ATI x300 card. However on my main workstation running Vista Ultimite 64bit with two nVidia Quadro FX1400's the same model slows down the display so bad I cannot work in anything but wireframe (or bounding box in layout) also the render times are only slightly better on the Vista machine which is running 4 Opteron processors (with all threads) at 64bit over a single Centreno at 32 bit on the laptop. What gives? (settings?) :thumbsdow

Any help would be greatly appreacated!!!!!!!

Sensei
05-11-2007, 03:07 PM
also the render times are only slightly better on the Vista machine which is running 4 Opteron processors (with all threads) at 64bit over a single Centreno at 32 bit on the laptop. What gives? (settings?)

Make sure that cores are fully 100% loaded by opening Process Manager, activating CPU page, and starting rendering..

From my experience LW92 better renders with Threads set to as many as you have cores installed, were olders LWs worked better with as high Threads as you could set..

mjcrawford
05-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Make sure that cores are fully 100% loaded by opening Process Manager, activating CPU page, and starting rendering..

From my experience LW92 better renders with Threads set to as many as you have cores installed, were olders LWs worked better with as high Threads as you could set..

Thank you Sensei! When you say 'Process Manager' are you referring to the processes tab of the Task Manager or something else? I do not see a place to see 'cores installed' I know that I have 4 cores, but I am unsure as to what you are referring to. Any idas about getting Hypervoxals to work?

Sensei
05-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Yes, Task Manager.. I have no idea how it's called in English Windows, because I use unfortunately Polish language Windows.. ;) Processes tab of Task Manager shows just list of processes.. Next tab, right after processes tab, should show graphs with each core usage.. At least it used to be like this in the all Windows NT line, 2000 and XP for sure..

About HyperVoxels, I have no idea, because you gave too few informations.. "HyperVoxels don't load"? What you mean by this? Scene with HV does not load? Or plug-in does not load? Or what?

RedBull
05-11-2007, 05:42 PM
For Hypervoxels, try reinstalling the voxel.p plugin....

Your Vista64 question is more of a problem, Vista has a large pretty graphics overhead, the Aero glass features use 50% of your Videocards power.

Add to that the fact that unlike Windows XP, Vista does not support OGL.

It's up to individual videocard developer to create an OGL ICD for there videocards.... So Nvidia and Ati in this case, Nvidia are a long way behind on Vista drivers compared to XP.

So i wouldn't expect very good performance under Vista32 or Vista64 with any 3D application that uses OGL at this stage...

mjcrawford
05-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Yes, Task Manager.. I have no idea how it's called in English Windows, because I use unfortunately Polish language Windows.. ;) Processes tab of Task Manager shows just list of processes.. Next tab, right after processes tab, should show graphs with each core usage.. At least it used to be like this in the all Windows NT line, 2000 and XP for sure..

About HyperVoxels, I have no idea, because you gave too few informations.. "HyperVoxels don't load"? What you mean by this? Scene with HV does not load? Or plug-in does not load? Or what?

Thank you Sensei for following up! I am not home right now but I will check it out tonght!

mjcrawford
05-11-2007, 06:46 PM
For Hypervoxels, try reinstalling the voxel.p plugin....

Your Vista64 question is more of a problem, Vista has a large pretty graphics overhead, the Aero glass features use 50% of your Videocards power.

It's up to individual videocard developer to create an OGL ICD for there videocards.... So Nvidia and Ati in this case, Nvidia are a long way behind on Vista drivers compared to XP.

So i wouldn't expect very good performance under Vista32 or Vista64 with any 3D application that uses OGL at this stage...

I was afraid of that with the OGL issue, but I must endure, is the file called voxel.p? and yes, plugin is missing...

IMI
05-12-2007, 12:15 AM

Yeah, and in a computer tech forum I found, when asking for advice about boards and processors, I stated I was going to be running Win XP 64 Pro, and under no circumstances had any interest in Vista...
I could almost hear the gasps of shock and horror through my monitor. :D

mouse_art
05-14-2007, 01:09 PM

Wrong, in fact a decent graphics Card is idling to death even with AERO.

Wrong either it does support OGL you can even temporary let vista automatically disable AERO for OGL, but the last thing is true it's on NVIDIA and ATI to bring the full perf. on OGL back.

On the Other side it's not entirely on their foot, some OGL DCC Apps run very well under OGL and vista...and some are not.

believe me, or call me a liar..., but i woul'd not see a reason to lie about that, but thats just my experiences with MY HW and SW configuration (self build)

But i read here and there that FX Cards have problems(driver related) more as they should.(if you followed NVIDIA's claims about Vista support *aehm*)

mjcrawford
05-21-2007, 09:19 AM
Wrong, in fact a decent graphics Card is idling to death even with AERO.

Wrong either it does support OGL you can even temporary let vista automatically disable AERO for OGL, but the last thing is true it's on NVIDIA and ATI to bring the full perf. on OGL back.

On the Other side it's not entirely on their foot, some OGL DCC Apps run very well under OGL and vista...and some are not.

believe me, or call me a liar..., but i woul'd not see a reason to lie about that, but thats just my experiences with MY HW and SW configuration (self build)

But i read here and there that FX Cards have problems(driver related) more as they should.(if you followed NVIDIA's claims about Vista support *aehm*)

Thank you Mouse Art! I never thought to disable the AERO (not that big a deal for me anyway) I will give that a try... what about render times? I just don't get it.. why can a laptop with a Centrino almost keep up with a quad-core opteron system?