PDA

View Full Version : Best way to render wireframes?

geothefaust
05-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Hey everyone. Dumb question, what is the best way to make a render with wire frames? And I'm not talking triangles or just the wire frame itself. I want SubD geometry with wire frames.

Any tips? Much obliged. :)

Dexter2999
05-10-2007, 09:30 PM
http://www.artssphere.com/lwplugins.php

Yay, I finaly get to help someone.

Dexter2999
05-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Oh, uh, guess it would help if I told you which one....

Polygon Coloring

Good Luck

geothefaust
05-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey Dexter. I really appreciate the link!! As soon as I saw your first message, I kind of figured out which one it was.... ;)

Though, I am having some difficulty adding the plug in. Which is weird.

I add the plug in like normal, but the bloody thing says "0 Plug-ins found in 1 files"

I don't know really what to do. I was so excited to get my work done tonight, haha. Any idea what would be causing that?

Surrealist.
05-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Try to download it again. Maybe something got corrupt.

geothefaust
05-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Err, it looks like the plugin needs ran inside layout, and not modeler as the readme.txt would suggest.... :P

Yeah, redownloaded it, but same result.

Edit: And it's still not working. Oy. I feel like a noob all over again. This is such a simple thing to do. Why is this being so difficult? I just want to render out a model with wireframes.

geothefaust
05-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Does any one else have a suggestion on how to render with wire frames? I'm really at a loss here.

Surrealist.
05-11-2007, 01:31 AM
OK, maybe there is confusion on what this pugin does. You load it into modeler not layout run it and it creates a kind of checkerboard pattern of surfaces. The idea is that you can then turn on render surface outlines in Layout which in effect is rendering your polygon mesh. Of course this deletes your surfaces so you have to use this on a copy of the model if that is important.

I also know there is a plugin that allows you to do this and keep the surfaces. I saw a guy do it over on spinquad but forgot to ask.

Here's an example (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17160). Though I can't find the one I saw. It had full surfacing and wires. I know it's possible. In fact there was a huge thread on it about a year or so ago and there was a plugin.

faulknermano
05-11-2007, 01:51 AM
geothefaust, the process is simple. once the polygons have been changed into unique surfaces, use the edges tab > surface borders to create outlines per each polygon. if you have trouble with the plugin, then try this in modeler:

@warnings
main
{
// per-poly surfacer (to be used in conjunction with Random Color in Layout
selmode(USER);
(polyc) = polycount();
if(!polyc)
error("No polygons.");

if(polyc > 300)
warn("High number of surfaces to be generated.");

editbegin();
i = 0;
foreach(x,polygons)
polys[++i] = x;

editend();
reqbegin("Random Surfacer");

c1 = ctlstring("Surface Name","RandSurf_");

return if(!reqpost());

surfName = getvalue(c1);

reqend();

selpolygon(CLEAR);

m = Mesh(0);

polycStr = string(polyc);
for(i=1;i<=polyc;i++)
{
iss = string(i);
while(iss.size() < polycStr.size())
iss = string("0",iss);

str = string(surfName,iss);
selpolygon(SET,POLYID,polys[i]);
changesurface(str);
selpolygon(CLEAR);
}
}

this script will assign a unique surface to each polygon. but careful: it will generate high levels of surfaces which will slow your system down when you open up the surface editor.

geothefaust
05-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Geez, I've been so out of it...

I figured out what I was doing wrong.

The edges wont render if you're not using the classic camera, and I was using the perspective camera. Go figure.

Thanks again everyone for all the help, I really do appreciate it.