PDA

View Full Version : Switch from PC to Mac

shrox
05-10-2007, 04:03 PM
If I were to switch from PC to Mac, would I be able to simply buy an LW update, or would I have to buy a full install version?

Thanks

bloontz
05-10-2007, 04:47 PM
If you own Lightwave you already own both versions, you just need to download the mac version. The mac dongle number is different (Same dongle though). You'll need to register the mac dongle number to get a mac license key.

shrox
05-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Thanks for that info. Mind you, I am just thinking about it, mainly to avoid Vista.

StereoMike
05-11-2007, 01:35 AM
Me too, Shrox. But I'm kinda worried about LW on a Mac.
Most people with weird LW issues are Mac people (as far as I can tell).
I hope my Win x64 will carry my workload long enough to switch to a world where I can use LW on a Mac without headaches.

mike

BazC
05-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Most people with weird LW issues are Mac people (as far as I can tell).

I don't think that's true, LW used to be pretty flakey on Mac but it's running pretty well now and getting better all the time! What might worry you is the lack of plugins, there are many more for Windows, in fact there are virtually none for the universal binary version of LW. Hopefully that will change quickly once the UB goes public though!

Otterman
05-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Most people with weird LW issues are Mac people (as far as I can tell).mike

Weird-mac people? This is true, cant do ur pc 3 button mouse thing!-we only got 1 finger c! :thumbsup:

Kuzey
05-11-2007, 06:34 AM
One thing to note...if you have a pc only dongle then you'll need to upgrade that, otherwise you should be fine :D

Kuzey

Haven1000
05-14-2007, 06:50 AM
LW for Mac is going through a transition period (the second time in 6 years), hopefully when the UB is released a lot of the major plugin's will be able to join the party, I've been assured by one developer that porting to a UB version of their plugin should not require very much work, and I believe if the code is already in X-code it's just a case of toggling a "Make Universal Binary" button.

At the moment there is little point in releasing UB plugin's for a software thats still in beta.... well that's what I keep telling myself:)