PDA

View Full Version : Sound fix - An easy way to do this?

UnknwnProd
05-10-2007, 12:45 PM
I have a project that was edited from a different system, mastered to DV and then I brought it in to SE. I have some sound glitches (POPS) that I'd like to edit out with some ambient sound from a few seconds before or after my glitches.

Is there an easy/quick way to do this?

Jason

JackJ
05-10-2007, 03:45 PM
A quick way off the timeline would be to make your ambient patch (a second or so, however long you need to cover most pops), with both ends faded, copy it, then go through your timeline, whenever you find a pop, cut the audio layer at that point, trim it out and/or fade both sides, and paste in the patch. (or you could copy and paste the nodes from a ramp-down/ramp-up in the spline editor, if that seems cleaner or more comfortable to you.)

As far as something automated, I'm not sure. You might be able to use something in the Toolshed to find the pops (something with the Cut to Music, perhaps), but by the time you set it up and weed out false positives or whatever, its probably just as fast to just go through listening for them (or looking for them if you can stretch out the audio and see the peaks.)

Hope that helps.

Pete Draves
05-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I use sounforge and reduce the volume of the clicks individually (select) and lower volume and write out a new sound file. but first export as audio only from toaster.
Works good
Pete

CreatvGnius
05-10-2007, 06:00 PM
I have a project that was edited from a different system, mastered to DV and then I brought it in to SE. I have some sound glitches (POPS) that I'd like to edit out with some ambient sound from a few seconds before or after my glitches.

Is there an easy/quick way to do this?

Jason

I'd summarily go to a Google search window and type:
< audio filter click and pop > and look for a plug-in or some small audio app with that functionality built in;

That capability has been around for quite sometime now, in the form of software. You should have no trouble finding something that works automatically.

I remember back in the late 70s and early 80s, the "noise reduction people" at dbx Corporation had introduced to market a hardware device that you'd add to your turntable for playing vinyl discs, then utilizing digital (bucket-brigade?) devices, would work its magic.

It would enable users to playback or better yet -- archive -record vinyl sourced music to tape, from the turntable, through the processing which effectively removed clicks and pops from static discharge and scratches on the record's surface.

:thumbsup: -PeterG

NVentive
05-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Another option is Goldwave, which is basically free. After about a hundred clicks it asks you to buy, which is a good idea since it's inexpensive. Or you can just shut down that session, re-open and start again with another hundred clicks at your disposal. You'll probably never use more than about a dozen clicks on an average session.....
Goldwave has pop and click filters and a pretty good "copy and subtract" function. You zoom in on the time line, hilight the noise, control-c, then go to filters and select noise reduction and click 'use clipboard.' It's not Adobe Audition by any means, but it works pretty darn well most of the time.
Oh -- and if you get a 'filesize wrong' error when you load up an audio clip from VT or SE, ignore that and plow ahead -- all will be well. Don't try and load a quad trac in there, however. And I'm not sure if it likes FP, can't remember.....
I can't remember the URL either, but it'll pop up on a google..... Good Luck

Stephen Self
snarlavator
www.n-ventivetv.com

JackJ
05-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Could be wrong, but the trick I believe was to drop the pops while at the same time adding some ambient sound to cover the dips in volume, hopefully all in one easy step. Do any of these have some kind of MS Word-like "Find and Replace" function? Or at least something that marks where it has made changes? Always looking for an easier way...

ScorpioProd
05-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Maybe with Sony's Noise Reduction plug-in that can be used with Vegas or Soundforge? I know it can remove pops.