PDA

View Full Version : Was that Renderman for osx?

Ade
06-23-2003, 08:43 PM
they used in that intro vid?

Rey
06-23-2003, 11:28 PM
Yes, it seems that Renderman will be making it over to the Mac. I don't think anybody doubted that this would happen sooner or later.

renrique
06-24-2003, 01:18 PM
macRenderman is a part of the plan of Apple to put the Macs on the same level of PC in 3D.

The project to make again a MacRenderman version has about 2 years.

Zarathustra
06-24-2003, 03:17 PM
Yeah, that struck me, too. Interesting.

Beamtracer
06-24-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by renrique
macRenderman is a part of the plan of Apple to put the Macs on the same level of PC in 3D.
Despite the fact that Steve Jobs heads both companies, Pixar is nonetheless a seperate company responsible to its own shareholders, and not to Apple. Pixar must do what's best for Pixar, not what's best for Apple.

I'm sure Pixar's decision to port to the Mac was based on its own merits, and probably had more to do with the ascendancy of the Mac platform in 3D.

Ade
06-25-2003, 05:14 AM
Its safe to say Renderman iotself isnt an app but a series of intergraytions..
A bit like THX.

Red_Oddity
06-25-2003, 07:18 AM
Did d anyone actually 'watch' the presentation...they never mentioned they worked or rendered on those machines, all they could do now was watch full frame (HD size probably) rendered material...

It would be cool though...but the software is still to expensive for any small company...

renrique
06-25-2003, 08:38 AM
Yes, Iīm agree about Pixar does 4 Pixar and Apple does 4 Apple, Maybe I donīt express my idea well, but Itīs a fact that Apple is doing relations with other companies to make grow the 3d on Apple. Port the MacRenderman again on Apple is something that Apple have been pushing in Pixar, just as Apple previously has do it 4 pixar with the inclusion of Pixar movies in their early dvd machines.

(sorry If I make a mistake with my english. Itīs not my primary languaje)

renrique
06-25-2003, 08:40 AM
"It would be cool though...but the software is still to expensive for any small company..."

Yes, Renderman is expensive, but Shake is expensive too and in a certain way is a product related to the movie production and is part of Apple, not pixar.

This confirm that apple want to have a place in hollywood in any way.

luka
06-25-2003, 01:52 PM
this is a quote from Pixar
"We have benchmarked PhotoRealistic RenderMan on Apple's new Power Mac G5 and have found the performance of the G5 to be impressive. We are considering a full release of our software for the G5, depending on customer demand and other issues."

I wonder if it could be used with LW8?

Jimzip
06-25-2003, 09:55 PM
Oh how cool would that be!
Of course, it's not really much use seeing as Lightwave's renderer is already rather kickass..
But renderman is always a good thing!

Jimzip:D

Red_Oddity
06-26-2003, 02:18 AM
Well, i stand corrected, it seems there may be a confirmed version afterall, all we have to do is wait for august at the soonest

https://renderman.pixar.com/products/news/power_mac_G5.html

wowens
06-30-2003, 12:12 PM
This is very interesting. I used MacRenderman 1.3 back in 1998 on my Mac II using Pixar's Showplace application. They even had an application called Typestry for doing title graphics.

The third party shaders were also great. The VALIS Group's Web site still sells shaders for MacRenderman.

Will Lightwave be able to export RIB files in a future release? Or will a plugin be available from Pixar?

riprod3
07-01-2003, 06:15 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/06/20030625164322.shtml

Johnny
07-01-2003, 06:57 AM
Is there any way to know now *if* an OSX version of RenderMan would work with G3 Macs on, or only with G5s?? I realize that it's mere speculation at this time.

would sure be nice to put some cheap Macs to some good 24/7 use that way..

J

Beamtracer
07-01-2003, 07:37 AM
If you can't afford to upgrade from a G3 Mac, chances are you won't want to pay the big asking price for Renderman.

Johnny
07-01-2003, 08:18 AM
yes, true, but..the scenario I'm envisioning is being able to purchase a Renderman license and being able to snag some G3s/G4s cheap.

J