PDA

View Full Version : Inventor or IGES to Lightwave?

creativecontrol
05-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with importing an object in Inventor to Lightwave. I also have the same object in an IGES format and a Step format.

Any ideas or hints as to what direction I should take would be much appreciated. Thanks!

creativecontrol
05-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I tried MOI but I seem to only get a small part of the object. It's a large object so I expect it's running out of ram. The part I got looked good. Any other programs handle large files better?

CoryC
05-10-2007, 11:34 AM
PolyTrans does a good job (www.okino.com). MOI is nice because you can adjust the density with a slider but PolyTrans is better for large models. It has some optimization and it allows the parts the be output individually, creating a LWS file to keep them together.

creativecontrol
05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
PolyTrans does a good job (www.okino.com). MOI is nice because you can adjust the density with a slider but PolyTrans is better for large models. It has some optimization and it allows the parts the be output individually, creating a LWS file to keep them together.

Thanks! Does it seem to be fairly reliable? I know I tried it a long time ago and it didn't seem to good but that was many years ago.

towfish
05-10-2007, 11:47 AM
I'm trying to do the same thing, going from SolidWorks to LW. I guess .STL (used for stereo lithography)files might be the way to go. I haven't tried these scripts but it sounds good.

http://www.lightwiki.com/index.php?title=Working_with_STL

CoryC
05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Reliable as in not crashing? Yea I have never had that. Years ago, it would lock up on large files.

Reliable as in good conversions? For the most part it does a good job. I with I could adjust poly output like MOI but the converted objects are mostly correct, just a bit poly heavy. Complex objects may have some small errors. For simple objects like nuts, bolts, washer, I just remodel them. Trigon X is good for reducing triangles on some objects. I always figure in some clean-up time.

CoryC
05-10-2007, 11:51 AM
PolyTrans is even better with SolidWorks. Robert Lansdale, the developer, says he optimized everything for a SolidWorks workflow.

Matt
05-10-2007, 12:16 PM
I tried the demo of PolyTrans once, just couldn't get anything out of it, horrible workflow IMO.

creativecontrol
05-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Still working on it.

DarkLight
05-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I've used polytrans to transfer quite a few inventor files to LightWave. All the files were saved out from inventor as IGES. Polycount tends to be a little high sometimes but i've had no real problems with it.

This was an inventor drawing which has been transferred to LW.

voriax
05-10-2007, 07:11 PM
Inventor can export STL files, right? Cut out the middle man of using IGES files and just go straight to STL, cos you'll end up with polys in Lightwave either way.
I use solidworks and export stuff as STL - solidworks has a density setting for exporting polygonal geometry like MOI does.
Then I either use the STL importer for LW, or a quicker solution for me is a program called Accutrans. Can import STL and export .LWO format.

DarkLight
05-11-2007, 02:26 AM
You can export STL files from Inventor but i think you can only do single parts with STL. If you want to export an entire assembly then you need to use IGES or STEP

MicroMouse
05-11-2007, 04:00 PM
If you have an assembly made of several parts, save each part to its own STL file.

Download AccuTrans 3D from http://www.micromouse.ca/

Use the "File -> Multi Open" menu command and read all the STL files at one time.

Each STL file is placed on its own layer.

Save to a LWO file.

Wayne

ivanze
05-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Right Hemisphere Deep Exploration is good for that.

DarkLight
05-11-2007, 05:54 PM
If you have an assembly made of several parts, save each part to its own STL file.

Download AccuTrans 3D from http://www.micromouse.ca/

Use the "File -> Multi Open" menu command and read all the STL files at one time.

Each STL file is placed on its own layer.

Save to a LWO file.

Wayne

I'll have a look at Accutrans, i seem to be doing a lot of visualasion work recently and my day job is a computer programmer

creativecontrol
05-14-2007, 02:43 PM
I managed to get my IGES file sent in smaller pieces and now MOI works GREAT! Wow, what a lifesaver! And it's free (for now). If you need to transfer IGES, check it out, it's worth it. :D