PDA

View Full Version : Death to Windows

Andyjaggy
05-10-2007, 09:34 AM
So I started 4 hour render last night. Went to bed. Didn't think anything of it. I wake up turn my monitor on to find that my computer has restarted. In the bottom is a little balloon informing me that an essential update was installed and an automatic restart was required. Grrrrrrr.

My bad I guess. I shouldn't trust the computer to go all night unattended, and I should have had it automatically save the file. Lesson learned.

bloontz
05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
If you aren't aware of it, you can change your windows update settings in the system control panel. I don't like any OS automatically installing stuff.

Andyjaggy
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
I thought I had turned it off, but now that I think about it I don't think I have since I reinstalled windows.

iconoclasty
05-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Those freaking automatic updates. They're horrible. That's the first thing I turn off when I setup a new computer.

Bytehawk
05-10-2007, 09:54 AM
ditto here,
turn them off or set them to just download and ask you if you want to install.

mattclary
05-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Don't disable autoupdates, just disable auto-reboot.

Start > Run > gpedit.msc to access this screen and disable the reboot.

Windows can be a pain sometimes, but it usually is VERY configurable if you know what to look for.

Andyjaggy
05-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Couldn't get that to work. Is there a way to get to it through the control panal?

mattclary
05-10-2007, 10:51 AM
What wouldn't work? The Start > Run > gpedit.msc?

gpedit.msc is in the Windows\System32 directory, just browse to it. Make sure you are not hiding any file types.

Andyjaggy
05-10-2007, 11:21 AM
yeah it said it couldn't find it.

cagey5
05-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Did you type the full title? gpedit.msc including the suffix?

Tzan
05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
What version of XP do you have?

Doesnt seem to be on XP Home

Surrealist.
05-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Nevermind.

mattclary
05-10-2007, 12:41 PM
What version of XP do you have?

Doesnt seem to be on XP Home

Could be. Andy, PM me with your e-mail address and I will zip and mail the files to you, pretty sure you can probably just drop them in. Certainly worth a try.

Weepul
05-10-2007, 12:56 PM
I thought I had turned it off, but now that I think about it I don't think I have since I reinstalled windows.
Oh, the irony. :p

(At least, without context...)

iconoclasty
05-10-2007, 12:59 PM
I didn't mean to suggest turning off updates all-together, just don't give MS complete control over your computer. There are many updates that come through that I don't even want installed. Let it tell you when updates are available then you chose what to install and when.

DonS
05-10-2007, 01:13 PM
I've got it set so I get a prompt when updates are available and one notice when a reboot is necessary...none of that damn "Restart Now or Later" warning box that pops up every 10 minutes when a reboot is desired after an update.

As mattclary said, the options are available through gpedit.msc ...here's a capture of the Group Policy screen showing the options:

Andyjaggy
05-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Yeah I have home so that could be the case.

Martin Adams
05-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Yep, I've fallen for this issue - TWICE! Turned out that my Norton AntiVirus kindly turned it back on because it was complaining. In control panel there's an option for Automatic Updates and you can select 'Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them' - at least on XP Pro.

Another option, unplug the network cable when you render so it can't download them :)

kevinone
05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
On xp home go to administrative tools, than find local services and set it how you want it. My next system will not be a windows based op.

Tzan
05-10-2007, 03:10 PM
XP Home
ControlPanel > AdministativeTools > ComponentServices > Services (local) > AutomaticUpdates

You can right click > preferences and hit the stop button
or just disable it and turn it back on later.

I havent actually done it, just providing the path.

Jim_C
05-11-2007, 06:37 AM
My little Barbie iBook running OSX notifies me of updates, then I click and install them.

You can set Windows update to do the exact same thing.

Or you can set it to do nothing at all.
Without using services or group policies.

DiedonD
05-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Another option, unplug the network cable when you render so it can't download them :)

I was going to suggest the same thing too. Nothing like physically unplugging the thing from the net. No lice updates until your back for sure.

Also, there's rumors of hackers exploiting other people's computers at night. And who knows what they benefit from it. Come to think of it, they can have your computer render for them instead, or also.

And one other thing is MSN, Skype and Yahoo people poping up, and sending links, or whatever that just pushes the computer unneccessarily to go and take care of them too, which they couldve wait till tomorow.

So I just unplug and the three options are eliminated immediately, and keeps the computer solely at rendering all night long.

And yes my llaptop also tells me I have things that need to be installed, I then tell it when to.

Andyjaggy
05-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Now that's an idea, hack into hundreds of computers every night and have them do my bidding (rendering).

Nicolas Jordan
05-11-2007, 12:20 PM
So I started 4 hour render last night. Went to bed. Didn't think anything of it. I wake up turn my monitor on to find that my computer has restarted. In the bottom is a little balloon informing me that an essential update was installed and an automatic restart was required. Grrrrrrr.

My bad I guess. I shouldn't trust the computer to go all night unattended, and I should have had it automatically save the file. Lesson learned.

This same thing happened to me a few nights ago and I couldn't figure out why my computer restarted in the middle of the night when it was in the middle of a 10 hour render. I will have to change my windows update settings.

Matt
05-11-2007, 01:29 PM

Sorry Andy, but I laughed when I read that! Does that make me a bad person!

If it's any consellation ...

The number of times I've set a render going overnight and forgot to switch off my cool 3D fish tank screen saver which grinds my machine to a halt when trying to compete with rendering!

I still haven't learned my lesson! Be nice to have an option in LW to switch off screen savers when rendering!

extrabyte
05-11-2007, 01:43 PM
similar thing happened to me long ago.

1. norton/symantec antivirus anything is hands down
the worst antivirus program of all time.

2. simply shut off auto updates altogether and do manual updates.

you know ms does monthly updates, so it's not like you'll miss installing the ones you need/want.

i know of no studio that allows auto windows updates at will on their workstations.

Mr Maze
05-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Don't forget to add McAfee to the list of annoying and overbloated antivirus companies. Also, at my work we use Executive Software Diskkeeper - it is a disk defrag utility that completely blows away the built in defrag program that comes with windows. It allows you to "set it and forget it" but the last thing you want happening when running an overnight render is your C: drive defragmenting...

Matt
05-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Yeah, my McAfee slows down my machine too, especially starting up. As soon as this license runs out I'm looking for something else.

What do you guys use / recommend?

I have SpyWare Doctor Antivirus, which I could use, but then I need a decent, but not too intrusive FireWall, then I can bin McAfee. So which FireWall do you all use?

Cheers
Matt

mattclary
05-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Agreed, I use Avast because it is one of the few that truly support XP 64.

I have to say, McAffee enterprise edition is a different beast that the crapware they sell to consumers. it has a pretty low footprint and is never in your face. The only reason I am not running it is because it doesn't support XP 64 fully (at least not the version I own). Right click > scan does not exist with McAffee in XP 64.

Tom Wood
05-12-2007, 07:52 PM
1. norton/symantec antivirus anything is hands down
the worst antivirus program of all time

Agreed. Mine suddenly announced that it had suffered a catastrophic error and would never run again. WTF? Oh, and by the way, we left Word and Excel "protected" on the way out so you can't access any of those files. WTF2?

More research revealed that it was an automatic MS update that cratered Norton. Which in turn cratered Word and Excel. That's messed up. Running the regular program removal tool didn't work. They eventually provided a removal tool that reactivated access to MS Office programs.

TW

Andyjaggy
05-12-2007, 08:06 PM
For the past years, since XP SP2, I've just been using the built in firewall. That's good enough for me. I haven't tried any 3rd-party software firewall that wasn't a bloated waste of bytes.

I'm currently running Vista as my only OS, until my XP Pro 64-bit arrives, and I'm just running the Windows firewall.

If you're behind a correctly set up router, I wouldn't use a software firewall at all.

I can recommend Avast! for AV, it's one of the best, most frequently updated and least bloated solutions out there.

I had my computer hooked up to a 24/7 internet connection for about 9 months. I thought that I would for sure be loaded with viruses but when I installed a virus program and scanned my machine it didn't find a single thing :) Go figure.

Matt. I have one of those 3d fish screen savers too. I finally just turned it off because it kept interfering with LW :) It sure is pretty though.

Oh and yeah. I hate Norton. Loath it. When I worked at Circuit City all the computer people would preach Norton to the customers. I got in many arguments with the tech guys there over how much a piece Norton is. They would defend it to there last breath.............. I guess when you constantly have it drilled into your head by your managers that selling Norton and then charging 70 bucks to install is what you should be doing you start believing it yourself.

Mr Maze
05-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I have always been taught by superior tech people and instructors that a hardware firewall is the way to go. My home network is a Win 2K box and an Intel iMac both hooked up to a Qwest DSL Router which has an excellent <insert mr burns voice there> and fully configurable firewall. I'll never use another software firewall, they just cause problems.

As for antivirus, I have used AVG professional editions at my last two jobs (and at home) and found it to be excellent software. Systems continue to run smoothly while it is on, and the company that makes it (Grisoft) seems to catch virus outbreaks before Norton and McAfee.

I don't even use anything on my mac. Probably shouldn't have announced that.

mattclary
05-14-2007, 07:30 AM

Don't sweat it, I think you're safe. ;)

BeeVee
05-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Matt. I have one of those 3d fish screen savers too. I finally just turned it off because it kept interfering with LW :) It sure is pretty though.

If it's this one (http://www.serenescreen.com/) then it's by one of the original Amiga artists Jim Sachs and all made with LightWave...

Actually, I tend to use Electric sheep (http://www.electricsheep.org/) as my screensaver. Never fails to get appreciation from onlookers and it cuts out at the first sign of load on the processor leaving a black screen.

B
PS. Avast all the way here and at home...

Andyjaggy
05-14-2007, 07:41 AM
Yep its that one. I knew I liked it for a good reason :)

kopperdrake
05-14-2007, 12:41 PM
I have always been taught by superior tech people and instructors that a hardware firewall is the way to go. My home network is a Win 2K box and an Intel iMac both hooked up to a Qwest DSL Router which has an excellent <insert mr burns voice there> and fully configurable firewall. I'll never use another software firewall, they just cause problems.

As for antivirus, I have used AVG professional editions at my last two jobs (and at home) and found it to be excellent software. Systems continue to run smoothly while it is on, and the company that makes it (Grisoft) seems to catch virus outbreaks before Norton and McAfee.

I'm with you on all three of those ^^

Hardware firewall, AVG & nekkid Macs is the way to a brighter future :D

Lottmedia
05-14-2007, 02:45 PM
So it looks like this thread is named wrong. Shouldn't be "death to windows" should be "Why don't I pay attention" Windows had more than enough problems without people assining their own mess-ups to it. Credit where credit is due....

Casey :cat: