PDA

View Full Version : Mac Book Pro updates

Apple_Crumble
05-10-2007, 04:17 AM
Hi all,

Just a little consideration for you before anyone purchases a new Mac Book Pro. For WWDC or maybe a few weeks earlier, Apple is moving to the new Santa Rosa platform for its Mac Book Pros and then eventually its regular Mac Books.

What does this mean for us?

FSB is increased from 667Mhz to 800Mhz - faster memory access + faster processors. (no new processor speeds will be released, just their Front Side Bus speeds increased)

MUCH faster intergrated graphics, Intel GMA X3100.

I know I am gonna wait the extra month for this.

Cheers,

Matt

John the Geek
05-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Just a little consideration for you before anyone purchases a new Mac Book Pro. For WWDC or maybe a few weeks earlier, Apple is moving to the new Santa Rosa platform for its Mac Book Pros and then eventually its regular Mac Books.

This is a rumor, nothing more.

What does this mean for us?

Inflated expectations and likely disappointment.

MUCH faster intergrated graphics, Intel GMA X3100.

Apple has never used Intel's graphics chips in a MacBook Pro, only the standard MacBook. And the rumors don't expect MacBooks any time around or before WWDC.

Nothing is confirmed, however, waiting to buy if you can hold off is never a bad idea around Keynote presentations.

Everything else is just a rumor right now.

Apple_Crumble
05-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Apple has never used Intel's graphics chips in a MacBook Pro, only the standard MacBook. And the rumors don't expect MacBooks any time around or before WWDC.

Nothing is confirmed, however, waiting to buy if you can hold off is never a bad idea around Keynote presentations.

Everything else is just a rumor right now.

Yes I know, Apple use ATI graphics cards in their Macbook Pros but because the rumor includes regular macbooks i thought it appropriate to include the integrated intel graphics snippet. This will give modellers better performance on their standard macbooks.
You are correct about it just being a rumour but there are a lot of substantial rumors from thinksecret, macrumors, hexus.net and the following from AppleInsider "For its part, Apple's first notebook design to incorporate Santa Rosa features should arrive in the form of an update to its 15-inch MacBook Pro during the second quarter of the year, which should pack a faster 800MHz frontside bus and second generation Core 2 Duo mobile processors ranging up to 2.4GHz with 4MB of L2 cache.

AppleInsider was first to report on the MacBook Pro update in an exclusive report this past January. In the report, it was also noted that the mainstream Apple notebook would be the first of the company's machines to adopt an LED-backlit display -- a claim that was recently corroborated by Apple chief executive Steve Jobs."

As for your question regarding what will this mean for us? a higher FSB means greater processor performance and thus quicker render times and quicker access to your memory.

I think I will hold out for WWDC anouncements, can't go wrong.

Matt