PDA

View Full Version : VT2 Not Responding too often

bobby
02-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Just yesterday, I decided to reload Win2k and VT2. I have 4 SCSI drives in my Dell Precision 530. I used to have one SCSI drive as my system drive and the other 3 striped for the video drive.

Due to me running out of space too fast, I've striped all 4 drives now and am using a 40GB IDE drive for the system drive.

Now, VT2 is hanging a lot. The pc doesn't lock up, but VT2 stops responding. Even doing simple things like dragging a bmp to the storyboard, or dragging a series of photos to the timeline will either make the VT2 stop responding or just crash.

I had nearly no problems when my system drive was on a SCSI drive, but now that it's on IDE, I'm wondering if that would be a problem. I wouldn't think so, but I don't know. I just know that since I reloaded it, VT2 is not performing well.

Any pointers or things for me to look at? Is it bad to have the system drive IDE? Thanks.

SBowie
02-20-2003, 11:56 AM
No doubt there are other possibilities, but more often than not I've found that SCSI issues involve improper termination or cabling issues. OTOH, the sort of thing you're seeing sometimes results from graphics card driver issues, if perhaps you changed that recently too?

bobby
02-20-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the reply. Nothing has changed in my system except for adding an IDE drive, and striping 4 SCSI disks instead of 3.

I'm thinking now it was maybe because one of my graphics became corrupted. Everytime I would try to throw it on the timeline, VT2 would barf and I'd have to restart it. So hopefully this was the problem.

I did receive an out of memory error message while I was playing back some clips in Ted. It said I was running low on physical memory, and upon looking as task manager, VT2 was using nearly 1.5GB! In't this a bit excessive? 1.5GB is the amount of physical memory I have, and I can't see why VT2 would need all of it.

I don't really understand the correlation, but since trying to use VT2 off an IDE drive, it doesn't perform near as well as it did off a SCSI drive, and I keep getting goofy little errors and problems. I'm gonna keep hacking at it...

bobby
02-21-2003, 10:59 AM
Man, this sucks. I don't know what I've done to my used-to-be-solid-as-a-rock machine, but it's awful now. Opening Ted projects, VT2 will generate an error report and shut down more often then not. Right now, I'm trying to render to RTV format and it just stops. It's not like VT2 has stopped responding, the render progress just gets stuck. There's nothing to do but close it from TaskMan, restart it and pray.

What have I done? It used to be perfect...

ted
02-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Dan Ablan has been having problems with a system using IDE as a system drive. Read about it here.

http://www.videotoasternt.com/forums/read.cgi?19987

My thoughts are that IDE might be too slow for a system drive on such a demanding tool as Toaster.
I'm just gueesing, but there is a common thread.

bobby
02-21-2003, 12:21 PM
I'm thinking you might be right. I'll check out that thread. Right now, I'm reinstalling back to the way it was on the SCSI drive. I think I'll just have to buy some bigger capacity drives. Thanks.

Norman
02-21-2003, 01:07 PM
You have run the 'oops I messed up my config' file, haven't you?

bobby
02-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Yeah, I tried resetting all of the settings with the Oops file, but no luck.

I've gone back to my original setup, with one SCSI drive as my system and 3 SCSIs striped for a video drive. Seems to be working nice now.

I did try to render something and it stopped half way again. I've never seen this problem before today. It goes along fine for a while, then just stops, but VT2 is still responsive. The render panel is just stuck and stopped.

I'll keep messing with it, though it does seem a lot better since I got that IDE drive out of there.

ted
02-21-2003, 04:46 PM
Dan Ablan recently installed an IDE drive as his system drive and had poor results also. I forwarded him here so the two of you can work together on it.
I'm just guessing the IDE is too slow, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

SBowie
02-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ted

I'm just guessing the IDE is too slow, I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Nah, there has to be considerably more to it than that. Every system I've ever shipped uses an IDE system drive (albeit a good one), and they work just fine. I'm sorry I haven't been more involved in helping resolve this, I'm just swamped the last couple days - hardly time to even skim the catchiest threads :(

Norman
02-22-2003, 04:50 AM
For the past two years and some months, I've had IDE system drives and consistent 133 mbs for my video drives and 32 - 39 mbs for my system drives, except one stretch where I had to reinstall windows and did not install the motherboard drivers (how else do you learn?) :rolleyes:

mgrusin
02-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Are you using a single Western Digital IDE drive? They're good drives, but every time I install one, I have to relearn the fact that if you're using a single WD drive, you must remove the master/slave jumper. Anything else causes partially working but strange behavior.

In the past, it seemed like I could configure other brands single drives as master, which is why I keep making this mistake. Apparently WD's don't play that way.

BTW I have an IDE system drive and a pair of IDEs as a video array (all WD) and they work well in my system (though obviously slower than SCSI). Keep looking, this should work for you.

Good luck finding your problem! -MG

bobby
02-24-2003, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, I am using a WD drive, and I think I had to change it to cable select for it to work correctly. I've since gone back to a SCSI only setup since I can't afford any down time right now. I'd love to figure out why the IDE drive gave me so many problems, but it almost isn't worth investigating.

I'll still hack at it sometime, but for right now, I just want to make sure everything is working correctly.