PDA

View Full Version : which is better?

Jokerd007
06-23-2003, 05:31 PM
should i buy a scanner, a digital camera, or a tablet?

Elmar Moelzer
06-23-2003, 06:14 PM
hehe, this is a weird qustion :D
You know its like asking "what is better a sports- car or a tank?". I would say it depends on what you want to do with it, right?
CU
Elmar

Jokerd007
06-23-2003, 06:24 PM
i am new to lightwave, i was just wondering what would be more benficial for lightwave.

UnCommonGrafx
06-23-2003, 08:20 PM
All three.
:D
First, the camera
Second, the tablet
Third, the scanner.

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/06/20/2038248.shtml?tid=152&tid=159&tid=185&tid=186

Go here for what you can do with your new scanner. hehe

If you could do this stuff, I'd put it number one as most useful.

marvin
06-23-2003, 09:23 PM
That is an interesting question. I guess most of it comes down to preference.

I would go for the digital camera. Reason being, I could photograph whatever I can scan and I have a tablet, but don't ever use it. I don't use the tablet because I have gotten so use to painting with the mouse that I feel really uncomfortable using the tablet now. Maybe it would help if the image could be seen on the tablet itself, but I look up at the screen and not where the "pen" is going.

This is of course just my opinion. I've seen tons of excellent stuff done with a tablet that I don't think I could do with a tablet, mouse, or magic wand.

marvin

toby
06-23-2003, 10:05 PM
camera!

there's a thousand more things you can capture than you can with a scanner. 90% of the photography in my projects is done with my camera.

Haven't tried a tablet yet, but I'm doing fine so you probably will too :D

blinblue
06-24-2003, 07:08 AM
I would say camera by a long shot. They can do just about anything you want them to do: They take profile shots for whatever object you are doing, they can do texturing, they can be used for real life, and many many other little things. And for most people, a 3 megepixel is good enough (but if you are doing important work, get 4+ megepixels). Anyway, that is just my opinion.

MGuerra
06-24-2003, 08:27 AM
I agree... I would go with a camera. That's all I have and all I envision needing for anything. I actually use my camera as a scanner sometimes by simply taking a picture of a page or document. If done right, it comes out just fine.

Also, like marvin said, I'm so used to "painting" with a mouse, I don't think a tablet would work well for me.

I have an Olympus C-2100 Ultra Zoom that's only 2.1mp, but it seems to work just fine, as I don't really have a need for really large images. Now that I have a 10x optical zoom, I don't think I could ever go any lower than that. It's so nice to be able to take macro shots of a bug or something and still be able to zoom way in for those "hard to reach" shots.

Good luck in your adventure!

Jokerd007
06-24-2003, 10:17 AM
my wife asked me what i want for my birthday. i couldnt decide which would be more useful, so i think i am going to go with the camera. thanks for the help